What to do? Big Gun Little Gun?

StromBusa

Registered
My buddy just ordered this little J frame S&W in 38, & I've always wanted the Ruger Alaskan 44. I learned with cameras that the best one is the one you have with you, but with guns sometimes the bigger gun wins.... any chance I could pack this monster? PS Photos not actual size...

model386PD.jpg

imagesCAAW6QDF.jpg

Carrying while.......................................... hunting grizzly bears or just going to the local grocery store at 10PM?
I never been a fan of carrying a heavy bulky gun just to say its a 357, 45, or a 44

I want to shoot the .500 magnum with the 2 1/2" barrell!

What's the weight difference between the .38 and .44 pictured? The difference in ammo weight for 6 rounds isn't bad either. Get the .44!:thumbsup:

But I use my Busa to goto the store sometimes...:laugh:

Also with hammer guns there is a greater chance of it getting hung on clothes if that situation ever arrises. Rubber grips are nice for an all day at the range but also rubber tends to grip clothes,, with the hammer possibly snagging your shirt on a quick draw with the rubber pulling up your shirt with it... I wouldnt like to have that in my mind.
I always carry while i ride but I have a lil girly gun, the Ruger LCP... Easy LCP owners just a joke... a 44 IMO is over kill for protection against humans. But hey some guys like carrying them big guns makes them feel more powerful.

Also with hammer guns there is a greater chance of it getting hung on clothes if that situation ever arrises.
I always carry while i ride but I have a lil girly gun, the Ruger LCP... Easy LCP owners just a joke... a 44 IMO is over kill for protection against humans. But hey some guys like carrying them big guns makes them feel more powerful.

Not "overkill", it's a sure kill:laugh: And my girly Glock 9mm is tougher than your girly Ruger:poke::laugh:

Big weight diff... 1# vs. 3#, I know it is too big to carry, but i want it... prolly a hammerless lady smith would be SMARTER....... That Alaskan is a beast though, maby I could wear sweatshirts year round... I have a 44 redhawk & that can only be carried in the TRUNK of a CAR... :banghead:

Buy it if you like it:thumbsup: Shoot it have fun with it and when you see something you like better sell it and buy a new gun. Thats the great thing about guns, they hold there value if you take care of them..
Bring it the Busa Bash so we can shoot cans in the parking lot after a days worth of riding :rofl:

Buy it take pictures post it here! Man I luv spending other peoples money. :lol:

Maby something in the middle?

Night guard:

.357 Magnum 8 Shot Revolver - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like revolvers! For a carry piece I suggest a spurless/concealed hammer. Don't want it getting snagged on clothing if you need it!!

Poppy I think you nailed it, practical and effective. My buddy went with the hammer, I'll go hammerless, never had one though, don;t they have like a super sloppy double action creep. I need to focus on the purpose. Be prepared, all my carry set-ups are cumbersome.

Ive carried my 629 5 inch lots of times all day long. It's big and heavy but no less concealable than a 1911 or P226.

You can 'bob' the hammer on a revo and it will still allow it to be cocked but greatly reduce snag chance.

the airweight is available in a .357. the bullets weigh about as much as the gun. had one for years in hammerless

Poppy I think you nailed it, practical and effective. My buddy went with the hammer, I'll go hammerless, never had one though, don;t they have like a super sloppy double action creep. I need to focus on the purpose. Be prepared, all my carry set-ups are cumbersome.

I used to have a concealed hammer .357, single action, but it worked great. I never even thought about needing double action for concealed/protection. Range time is so important, regardless of what you get!

Back