So, while debating about a gun

I've great luck with Ruger handguns but you should check out the Glocks.

guns.gif
Which ones did you use?
rock.gif

I think the P90 sucked, but that MY opinion too i guess.

My mom's S&W .359 rocks! Its just perfect for carrying around, but its kinda heavy.

I STILL want that XD45 though...
drools.gif
or a Kimber "Tactical II..."
drools.gif
I've shot both a XD-40 and a Ruger P89. I like both guns. They're both damn reliable in my experience. Also, both are damn accurate. Never shot a P90, but the P89 was good for me. I like em both, but the SR9 is drawing me in the more I read on it.

drools.gif

most of the firearms in this thread are dependable when cared for properly...best consideration is fit (for you) and purpose...deserts are fun but so is a 460 lol, im assumin the glock 40 mentioned was a glock 23 which is .40 cal. the xd's are nice, but the most reliable though will always be a revolver. snub nose .38 to me is the ultimate CC you can wear it anywhere on the body and its alway ready to go. now...from my experience everyone knows stats and #'s but who really knows how to shoot?

I've great luck with Ruger handguns but you should check out the Glocks.

guns.gif
Which ones did you use?
rock.gif

I think the P90 sucked, but that MY opinion too i guess.

My mom's S&W .359 rocks! Its just perfect for carrying around, but its kinda heavy.

I STILL want that XD45 though...
drools.gif
or a Kimber "Tactical II..."
drools.gif
I've shot both a XD-40 and a Ruger P89. I like both guns. They're both damn reliable in my experience. Also, both are damn accurate. Never shot a P90, but the P89 was good for me. I like em both, but the SR9 is drawing me in the more I read on it.
I think if you're most comfortable with the SR9, then that's what you should get!
winkold.gif
thumb_up.gif

drools.gif

Ben, my .02...

First-the gun must FIT properly.

Second-the caliber question. Bigger IS better. Can't beat the old "flying ashtray" (i.e. .45ACP)

Lastly-Company reputation. Well Ruger is a fairly good company to deal with. Lifetime warranty, good customer service, etc. They have had their klunkers though, the p85, p90 are good examples.

However, You should really look at Glock, Sig, HK, and springfield before making your decision. Rugers are great, but when your talking about defending your LIFE, going "budget" may not be the best choice.

Personally, I'm really liking the new HK. Just under a grand though.

Good luck,

Chris

Ben, my .02...

Second-the caliber question.  Bigger IS better.  Can't beat the old "flying ashtray" (i.e. .45ACP)

Lastly-Company reputation.  Well Ruger is a fairly good company to deal with.  Lifetime warranty, good customer service, etc.  They have had their klunkers though, the p85, p90 are good examples.  

However, You should really look at Glock, Sig, HK, and springfield before making your decision.  Rugers are great, but when your talking about defending your LIFE, going "budget" may not be the best choice.

Personally, I'm really liking the new HK.  Just under a grand though.  

Good luck,

Chris
HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!
thumb_up.gif

I just don't trust the Rugers, their fun to shoot, but like he said, i wouldn't trust them with my life.

I'd rather have a Glock, Springfield, or Kimber probably. Get something you can depend on.

But either way you go, i support ya bro!
beerchug.gif

Love my Walther PPK/S .380 I carry as part of my job. Real smooth action, not bad recoil, and yea it'll stop someone.

Ben, my .02...

Second-the caliber question.  Bigger IS better.  Can't beat the old "flying ashtray" (i.e. .45ACP)

Lastly-Company reputation.  Well Ruger is a fairly good company to deal with.  Lifetime warranty, good customer service, etc.  They have had their klunkers though, the p85, p90 are good examples.  

However, You should really look at Glock, Sig, HK, and springfield before making your decision.  Rugers are great, but when your talking about defending your LIFE, going "budget" may not be the best choice.

Personally, I'm really liking the new HK.  Just under a grand though.  

Good luck,

Chris
Well, here's my thing on caliber... Lets say I get in a situation with someone that I have to use the gun... A .45 would be good if I use one shot, but if I HAVE to shoot, chances are more than one shot is coming out of the barrel into them. If 3 9mm rounds don't stop someone, why would 1 .45? Granted, I love a .45, as a matter of fact I love the 1911, but I don't see how it's difference in stopping power is that much greater.

My main thing with searching for a CC gun is
1: concealable... The SR9 is slim enough my big arse could conceal it
2: reliable... Everything I've read on reviews of the SR9 it's reliable. 12,000 rounds through it in the Guns and Ammo test, no cleaning, still shot accurately and reliably.

I will however, wait on the SR9 till I can find a good long term decision from people. Does the Mag safety cause problems, if it jams, what caused it, etc... Maybe a Berretta is in my future.
biggrin.gif

.45 is a good round to knock someone down & if you hit them in the right spot it makes a nasty hole on the way out. But remember its a slow round.....

I use to carry one until 2 out of 4 rounds fired did not pass the clothing. One was found in the guys shirt pocket (crazy). It was winter time and the guy had on a heavy coat (but still).

We soon went to the sig .357 round. The best round by far (very hot & stopping power) well, for cc its the best round for sure.

Sig makes great weapons. I have SW's, Glock's and the shitty berretta.

Good luck in your search & Remember CC is very hard on clothing choice.

I carry a Glock 21, .45 Use a shoulder harness or paddle holster. Its large, but so am I .
cool.gif

If you can go to a Range and Rent a few to shoot. I went with something I rented and Purchase the same Day, It's nice and concealed small gun big power. Very nice shooting gun.
Jon(Loomis). Heckler & Koch P2000sk

p2000_SK_large_right.jpg

I've got a Sig P239/40 for carry and really like it. Supposedly, I can drop a .357 barrell and mag into my 239 and convert from .40 S&W to .357 Sig.

The best advice I can give out is to try and shoot each one of the ones you are interested in. I'm a Pro Gunsmith, have been building fine custom firearms for many years. I have my preferences but I don't push them on others. I personally carry a STI 9mm 1911 Govt Model. IT is a 1 holer at 10 yards easy..;) Buy something you will carry and not leave at home.

Caliber means nothing in a real SD situation, its all about Shot placement.

Before I get into this, I'm not buying a gun yet. I'm working on getting my arse outta debt first. BUT, when I get a chance, I'm getting a CC, then I'm going to get a gun. I'm thinking about the Ruger SR9. I was reading about it in Guns and Ammo, and I held one today at the gun shop, and it felt great. Fit my hand fine, would make a good CC weapon for me, and looks good.

On a side note, the youngest guy at the shop helped me... Moron. He pulled the gun out, checked to see if loaded, and then pointed it around aimlessly... Then looked down the business end of the barrel... I realize it was unloaded, but still, thats a no no in my books. I think he was excited he gets to handle guns for a job, as he would go from one pistol to another trying to show me whats cool... He for some reason thought I'd be impressed with the fact that there were matching 1911's, and he held them all showoff-gunslinger-dualwield style... he wasn't exactly up on the whole gun safety concept.

Anyway, back to the SR9... The picture of sex in 9mm form. Now I gotta shoot one.
Buy the gun, shoot your dad. sorted. lol.
laugh.gif

scottish_thistle.jpg

i personally like the .40 series put out by Glock...22 is the full size, 23 is the compact, and 27 is the sub-compact...your hands are probably much too big to fit the 27 so you might want to look at the 23...i have and love the 22 which fits my hand the most comfortably but is a little hard to conceal in anything but my leather coat (planning on picking up a 27 one of these days)...take your time and find the gun you like and will carry, the best gun in the world won't do anything for you if you leave it at home or in the glove compartment
beerchug.gif

policelink reviews on the glock 23

if it comes out youd better shoot , not talk, you can realy piss sombody off pulling out a weapon ! no matter who is right or who is wrong .
guns.gif

Back