gun suggestions

SD1300

Will ride for Oreos
Donating Member
I'm looking to add another gun to the small collection.

I have S&W 357, & 38's and want to add a 9mm, 10mm or 45. I've read some of the info here and know some of you are pretty savvy.

It'll be for home protection, not CC.

Suggestions on size and brand?

Thanks

Mark

I grew up around single actions and double actions....wheel guns.

Every semi-auto I shot left me wondering why anyone would own such an unaccurate piece..

Then, I bought this;

Sig Sauer P229

229Rleft.jpg

it comes in 9mm, .357 sig, and .40 S&W. I recommend one of the last two, as I'm not a big 9mm fan... I bought the .357 sig. I can change it to a .40 with a barrel and spring.

It is the single most accurate out of the box handgun I've ever owned. I've run thousands of rounds thru it without one jam. Not ever.

It has become my all time favorite sidearm.

I'm a huge fan of the 10mm, still carry a Glock 20 for a duty weapon. I will say it isn't for everyone but will also say if you can handle it and want high capacity (15+1) and power it may be the ticket for you. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask or drop me a pm. Even a 9mm is a fine choice if loaded with the right ammo so get a caliber you are comfortable with.

If you are looking for a gun for defense don't worry yourself about whether or not it will shoot a tight little group from the bench. In a self defense situation you want something that is simple to operate and is reliable. Accuracy is still important but if you can hit an 11x14 piece of paper consistently with it at 25 yards it is more than accurate enough for self defense. If you don't believe me take that 11x14 target and put it on your upper torso.

I would also recommend staying with a good brand name. Glock, Sig, H&K, etc. Find what fits you and your hands, something you are comfortable with as what is comfortable for me may not be for you. I would also recommend something with a light rail and put a good light on it, surefire, streamlight etc. The surefire LED weapon lights are great as the beam is directed and back lighting is minimal, not to mention they are bright.

Get a Glock...Glock 21 .45 ACP :thumbsup:

Also a great choice, got one of these as well except mines a G21 SF (slim frame). If the grip on the G21 is a little big check out the G21 SF. Grip is just a tad smaller and has a great feel and for you lefties like myself they added an ambidextrous mag release.

I have a Ruger P-89 9mm. Great gun, wonderful balance & very easy to shoot. Wife's favorite at the range too.

TRY ONE OF THESE BABIES OUT , YOU CAN'T GO WRONG HERE . MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK AND I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS WEAPON . SUPER SMOOTH , PLENTY FIREPOWER .223 , VERY RELIABLE AND LOTS OF FUN . IT DID TAKE A YEAR TO GET IT BUILT BUT WAS WAY WORTH THE WAIT . OLY.ARMS.:thumbsup:
I'm looking to add another gun to the small collection.

I have S&W 357, & 38's and want to add a 9mm, 10mm or 45. I've read some of the info here and know some of you are pretty savvy.

It'll be for home protection, not CC.

Suggestions on size and brand?

Thanks

Mark

WEAPONS $ HAYABUSA 019.jpg

You don't have to marry an ugly woman, you don't have to drive an
ugly truck, you don't have to shoot an ugly gun...back away from the
ugly gun..Glocks are ugly as pooh...:poke:...they're all right but they are
ugly, their grip angle is a little funny and the trigger ain't the best.

How much do want to spend? You've kinda covered just about everything
in your caliber choice. Buy what YOU like and buy quality period. A cheap
firearm is merely an expesive rock or paperweight.

Sigs are Excellent guns...major Sig junkie here.
P229 is a good gun but I prefer the P228. Same size grip but the slide
is thinner and the weapon balances better. They don't make em anymore
either so that's kinda neat. From there your choices can go to a P225
which is a 228 but with a single stack, feels EXCELLENT in the hands and they
haven't made that longer than the 228. Kinda neat when you get a Sig and
it says made in "East Germany". Both are 9mm only.

If you want to go P226, which is a 228 with a long slide you can go with
9mm, .40, or .357 Sig...Below are my 3 P226s. The P226ST is a.357sig, the
"two-tone" (equinox) is a .40 and the all black is a 9mm

I love gun pron :thumbsup:
Like I said, you don't have to shoot an ugly gun...

[
yinyang9.jpg

EQ1.jpg

A couple of single stacks the P225 (mentioned above) and a P220 .45ACP

225-2201.jpg

And that's just the tip of the iceburg.

H&Ks are good guns they are proud of their stuff, plan to pay a lot.
CZ is great quality at a good price, VALUE...

CZ P01 with firewood grips...9mm and tough little gun
IMG_0206.jpg

Now if you want go 1911...that is huge can of possibilities on it's own.

I really like my Sig P220 .45. (the one on the right) the other one is my S&W 9mm

guns.jpg

...If you are looking for a gun for defense don't worry yourself about whether or not it will shoot a tight little group from the bench. In a self defense situation you want something that is simple to operate and is reliable. Accuracy is still important but if you can hit an 11x14 piece of paper consistently with it at 25 yards it is more than accurate enough for self defense. If you don't believe me take that 11x14 target and put it on your upper torso.

I would also recommend staying with a good brand name. Glock, Sig, H&K, etc. Find what fits you and your hands, something you are comfortable with as what is comfortable for me may not be for you...

This is some very good advice! I'm also a big fan of SIG as they are VERY reliable... But, get what fits your hands and budget! Any of the major manufactures are going to give you what your looking for. Good luck and keep us posted!

I guess I should have also added, don't worry about how a gun looks, when you are pointing it down your hallway at 3am you want the ugliest, meanest looking thing you can put in your hand. Justyntym mentions the Sig, they are great guns but they have one drawback for me being I am left handed which means I can't operate the functions of the gun with my left hand. I also hate a gun with an external hammer and although an ugly Glock doesn't have the perfect trigger, it doesn't have a whole lot of travel and the reset is very short meaning you have fewer issues with trigger control once you learn to shoot the thing properly.

Back