For the gun crowd

The .40 was made from a downsized /shortened 10MM. They made the perfect round and did not like the recoil and over pentration.
The 10MM is the same as a 357 mag in an auto with 15 rounds Hard to beat
40 and 10MM have the same size bullet/projectile and case diameter just the case is shorter for less powder
The 10Mm became popular with the show Miami Vice in which Don Johnson carried a Bren 10, they were so expensive in the day-

I was just looking at the specs for a 9mm vs. 38 Super cartridges. A 38 Super is a good 400 feet faster in a 130 grain bullet than a 9mm +P+ in a 115 grain bullet. So, why did it become so popular.

The 38 Super is a Colt variant, but it is .357 inches or 9mm as is the .357 magnum. Puzzling.

I had a 38 Super, and it failed to down an Armadillo (must have weighed 30 pounds) one day. It left blood everywhere and no doubt died several yards away, but I thought "What kind of stopping power is that?" I switched back to the 45 ACP I had, and once downed a coyote at about 30 yards. Drunk, riding shotgun on a highway. Must be the luckiest shot ever made. I like slower, bigger, heavier bullets.

.40 cartridges were, in my opinion, adopted by the Feds because women can't handle a double stack .45. The grip is too big for their (I hope) smaller hands.

Anyway, if you really need 20 rounds, why did the 9mm displace the 38 Super?

The .40 was made from a downsized /shortened 10MM. They made the perfect round and did not like the recoil and over pentration.
The 10MM is the same as a 357 mag in an auto with 15 rounds Hard to beat
40 and 10MM have the same size bullet/projectile and case diameter just the case is shorter for less powder
The 10Mm became popular with the show Miami Vice in which Don Johnson carried a Bren 10, they were so expensive in the day-

Oh man I had a Bren Ten as well as a 'Crocket' model holster made by Bianchi.
I was soooooooo cool in my livingroom watching that show :laugh:

A true concealed weapon :thumbsup:

One thing to have to draw from your holster, but to have it already in hand when he ask you for your wallet :whistle:

phone gun.jpgphone gun2.jpg

the look on his face would be priceless :laugh:

Need a slighter larger caliber that s all a 9 mm be perfect

phone gun.jpg

phone gun2.jpg

I have shot practically all rounds and think the .40 is a good compromise if you are going to have only one gun. It's like picking only one motorcycle for all rides. Tough to do...

I've had the S&W 4006 when it first came out in the early '90 and loved the stopping power/capacity/size. I think the CA highway patrol used the .40 rounds since about 1992 or so. Overall a good balance... IMHO

I like the big bores, I don't trust 9's since I found a handfull of FMJ's by a stump that looked immaculate. Ultimate carry prolly a 40. Like the 45 acp but mine is full frame & a little cumbersome to conceal in my speedo :whistle:

How long did you keep it? I still have a gen 1 glock 10MM

I kept it for about three years and then traded it for a 1 of 500 Colt Custom Combat Ten. It is an E-Nickel 1911 in 10mm. Still have it and it is new in the box.

Still stuck on 1911's. You can get such beautiful trigger pulls on 'em.

.38 super has always been a competition round and not really widely known for self defense. Not too many guns or rounds made for it.

That's not true it was developed in the 1930's as a improvement over the .38 ACP. It was revived somewhat for use in competion. There were/are quite a few guns so chambered. It's still popular in countries where it is illegal to own guns in military calibers ie: 9mm.

Finally a topic we can all disagree about.

My thoughts:

9mm was a tremendous advance in the 40's. With modern loads it continues to be very deadly and has high mag capacity.

The 9mm Luger round pre dates the .45 ACP by a few years. Both in the early 1900's.

That's not true it was developed in the 1930's as a improvement over the .38 ACP. It was revived somewhat for use in competion. There were/are quite a few guns so chambered. It's still popular in countries where it is illegal to own guns in military calibers ie: 9mm

Agreed. I was mostly referring to the time frame we see discussing which is more of the modern era. .38 was very popular many years ago here until the 9mm began to take over.

No matter what you guys all say, I'm keeping my 4 9mms... I have .45's and .40's too, but I will ALWAYS be able to find 9mm ammo when the zombies are chasing me..:beerchug:

No matter what you guys all say, I'm keeping my 4 9mms... I have .45's and .40's too, but I will ALWAYS be able to find 9mm ammo when the zombies are chasing me..:beerchug:

That and .22. kmart had a sale on blazer.......bought 25 boxes 550 rounds each, should be enough to fight off the undead!

If cost were of no matter, I'd sit back 1100 yards or so and provide "assistance from a distance" with a .338 Lap Mag <insert squeaky girl giggle here>

Rio

Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years

That and .22. kmart had a sale on blazer.......bought 25 boxes 550 rounds each, should be enough to fight off the undead!

I won't use Blazer, and I won't use Wolf ammo. Dirty, dirty, dirty stuff.. Especially in rimfire. My 10/22 looks like it has been in a house fire after I shoot that stuff.. Yuck.. :whistle:

LOL that's the b*%$H of it all.......I'm half French and half German so half of me wants to kick a$$ and the other half wants to haul a$$.............. so confusing.....

Rio

Same problem. I am half German and half Czech. My wife says I'm always fighting with myself.

Back