Concealed Carry

I tend to believe like some, if what you are carrying now is too big, you aren't gaining much by considering the .45/.410.  

My favorites for concealed carry
Glock 36 - single stack 45acp compact
Glock 29 - 10 rounds of 10mm all in a nice little package

and I just acquired one of the new Ruger .380  I'll admit I'm not big on .380acp, but I wanted something really small to carry for those days I didn't feel like lugging a bigger gun or something I could slip in my pocket real easy while on the Busa.  So far so good, shoots great and hasn't had any malfunctions yet.
I'm pretty sure the Ruger LCP is a licenced copy of, or a rebadged Kel-Tec P3AT. One of the characteristics of the P3AT you may want to check for in your LCP is that after firing a round, if you do not fully release the trigger before pulling it again, the hammer will drop from it's half cocked position without igniting the primer and you will have to pull the slide back far enough to return the hammer to the half cocked position before it will fire.

I've spent much time shooting Glocks (I notice you seem to like them.) and 1911s and they've spoiled me with short trigger resets. With them, I only have to release the trigger far enough to feel/hear a small "click" before pulling the trigger for the next shot. The Kel-Tec P3AT (and I suspect the Ruger LCP, though I haven't handled one yet) has a small "click" in it's trigger reset, but starting to repull the trigger at that point results in the above mentioned situation, and a "dead" gun until the slide is pulled. It is not a problem as long as you are aware of it.

Karl
smile.gif

I tend to believe like some, if what you are carrying now is too big, you aren't gaining much by considering the .45/.410.  

My favorites for concealed carry
Glock 36 - single stack 45acp compact
Glock 29 - 10 rounds of 10mm all in a nice little package

and I just acquired one of the new Ruger .380  I'll admit I'm not big on .380acp, but I wanted something really small to carry for those days I didn't feel like lugging a bigger gun or something I could slip in my pocket real easy while on the Busa.  So far so good, shoots great and hasn't had any malfunctions yet.
I'm pretty sure the Ruger LCP is a licenced copy of, or a rebadged Kel-Tec P3AT. One of the characteristics of the P3AT you may want to check for in your LCP is that after firing a round, if you do not fully release the trigger before pulling it again, the hammer will drop from it's half cocked position without igniting the primer and you will have to pull the slide back far enough to return the hammer to the half cocked position before it will fire.

I've spent much time shooting Glocks (I notice you seem to like them.) and 1911s and they've spoiled me with short trigger resets. With them, I only have to release the trigger far enough to feel/hear a small "click" before pulling the trigger for the next shot. The Kel-Tec P3AT (and I suspect the Ruger LCP, though I haven't handled one yet) has a small "click" in it's trigger reset, but starting to repull the trigger at that point results in the above mentioned situation, and a "dead" gun until the slide is pulled. It is not a problem as long as you are aware of it.

Karl
smile.gif
You are correct about the trigger reset on the Ruger LCP, if you don't let the trigger out all the way it will drop the hammer without firing giving you a worthless hand ornament until you rack the slide. I am like you and train to only release the trigger far enough for reset. I suppose as I shoot it more I will be able to determine if this is going to be a problem or not.

You are correct about the trigger reset on the Ruger LCP, if you don't let the trigger out all the way it will drop the hammer without firing giving you a worthless hand ornament until you rack the slide.  I am like you and train to only release the trigger far enough for reset.  I suppose as I shoot it more I will be able to determine if this is going to be a problem or not.
I just got through doing some reading on one of the Kel-Tec forums. It seems the Ruger may be an unlicenced copy of the P3AT. Kel-Tec has changed the design of the trigger on the newest P3ATs to eliminate the short stroking issue. Maybe Ruger will make a similar change. If so, I bet you could get yours upgraded. I'll have to do some checking to see if I can get my P3AT upgraded.

Karl

ETA: Sorry for the thread hijack.

My pick is the Ruger ALASKAN. It's HEAFTY for sure. But it shoots 45 long colt or 454 cassul. Adjustable sights. Should be able to stop an engine block if needed.

Chris

I usually conceal carry my Taurus .357 4" revolver or my M-92 Beretta 9mm. Both are a little big for concealed carry.

I like the simplicity of a revolver for cc, and have been looking at 5 shot .357 snubnose's......Until this caught my attention.

Link:

http://www.taurususa.com/whatsnew/revolvers.cfm

Wonder how the .410 3" Magnum stacks up against the awesome, well proven .45 Colt. This might be what I decide to get. Comments?
To answer your question on the Taurus Judge... AWESOME F-ING GUN!!! My neighbor just bought one, and we shot it last saturday. To me, it has a great trigger pull, and a good grip. Decent sights on it too.

As for the round to use for carry, I'd use the 45, as when I shot the .410 in it, the spread pattern was too much and would be too much of a liability in a defense situation if innocents were around. At about 10 yds with #8 shot, it peppered the entire body silhouette target and then some. The reason for the .410 capability of it, IIRC, was for a carjacking situation in very close quarters. It has a barrel designed to optimize the spread pattern in CQ encounters.
Great Information! just what I was looking for. I was wondering how the .410 would do at close range.
thumb_up.gif
Thanks

I like the ballistics on the .45 Colt, the .45ACP is close behind, I thought the .410 would be a nice option to have on a gun.

Decisions, Decisions, anyone have a .45ACP (revolver), not semi, concealed carry?

Kimber 1911 Compact, .45ACP
Kahr MK40, .40S&W
Kahr P9
Glock 26 (*small but need the 9mm)

I have never really seen any pro recommend a .357 as a CC weapon..
Guess you never heard of Massad Ayoob then
Actually in his book "The Gravest Extreme", he doesn't really suggest a .357. He says it's an Experts Only gun, not one for someone without the proper training as the recoil far outweighs the power behind the bullet.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
anyone have a .45ACP (revolver), not semi, concealed carry?[/quote]

never seen one even... Before the current batch of CC weapons came out, I had a full size commander cut down 2" (so I could have the full size mag on short barrel)

It took some tweaking (Dan at Mandalls in Scottsdale did the work) but worked spectacular..

Only mistake was 'hard chroming" the thing. Although it cured any oxidation issues, it also created a "bling" factor that gave away its presence in my shoulder rig.

I have since replaced it with the first choice in my list
smile.gif
(very happy with it)

was surfing around and found almost an exact clone of the 45 Dan built sans the full magazine (at least 10 years ago)..

pix373062718.jpg

Here is a Taurus .45 ACP, snubnose revolver. I believe this model is no longer in production though. Looks Nice
thumb_up.gif

Link:

http://www.taurususa.com/product....evolver
I have this gun and love it but the damn thing weighs too much and is just too big for CC... I bought it for $400 used from a dealer about 11 years ago, don't know if they still make it. I have hollow points for it, If I hit somebody with it, it is gonna leave one hell of a mark.

post_12_05910_455SS2.jpg

Back