For the gun crowd

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I was just looking at the specs for a 9mm vs. 38 Super cartridges. A 38 Super is a good 400 feet faster in a 130 grain bullet than a 9mm +P+ in a 115 grain bullet. So, why did it become so popular.

The 38 Super is a Colt variant, but it is .357 inches or 9mm as is the .357 magnum. Puzzling.

I had a 38 Super, and it failed to down an Armadillo (must have weighed 30 pounds) one day. It left blood everywhere and no doubt died several yards away, but I thought "What kind of stopping power is that?" I switched back to the 45 ACP I had, and once downed a coyote at about 30 yards. Drunk, riding shotgun on a highway. Must be the luckiest shot ever made. I like slower, bigger, heavier bullets.

.40 cartridges were, in my opinion, adopted by the Feds because women can't handle a double stack .45. The grip is too big for their (I hope) smaller hands.

Anyway, if you really need 20 rounds, why did the 9mm displace the 38 Super?

I myself prefer a .45 acp or a .40 s&w over a 9mm. The wifey carries a 9mm because it fits here better and i load it up with hollow points for improved stopping power, but i carry my 1911 .45 or my sigma .40 for day to day defense

Then there are the mutants like me who have big hands that a .45 fits quite well in..............finding a nice pair of boots that fit sucks..........but rifles, pistols and shotguns never seem too big or too small :flamethrowing:
The Sig makes a .45 that handles well in "smaller" hands

Rio

Come to think of it, the Busa fits rather well to!

9mm is from across the pond. .38 supper had its day, but faded. Recoil kills good cartridges, 10mm for example. 9mm is a favored cartridge in Europe. NATO made it their standard cartridge and the USA followed suit. The USA followed because smaller cartridge, less recoil, carry more ammo, and if you need more ammo it is the NATO standard. The next guy or enemy might have some when you need it.

LOL that's the b*%$H of it all.......I'm half French and half German so half of me wants to kick a$$ and the other half wants to haul a$$.............. so confusing.....

Rio

I feel ya bro... I'm part Scots/Irish, part American Indian, and I think part German... I'm doomed to be an alcoholic and try and kick arse. :rofl:

Oh yeah, and I feel ya on the size factor too... I'm 6'10, 400lbs. A Desert Eagle fits my hands nicely. LOL

9 is a very reliable cartridge in an auto or semi-auto because of it's slightly tapered brass... it was a powerful semi-auto cartridge when developed. High capacity and NATO!

Modern nine with high tech bullets is a very effective cartridge against unarmored personnel. Got it's lack luster rep in hard ball.

Meh... it's all about shot placement. If you can put the round where it belongs... a .22 will do the job.

My daily carry is a NAA .22 short revolver.

Off days, I carry my Sig P229 .357 sig. But it's a bit on the large side for concealed carry.. I'll be picking up a Kimber Solo in 9mm as soon as my local shop gets one.

Finally a topic we can all disagree about.

My thoughts:

9mm was a tremendous advance in the 40's. With modern loads it continues to be very deadly and has high mag capacity.

45 is low tech but makes a big hole. I'm a 1911 nut and used one for ccw in the past. I shot the gun well, had confidence in the round, but I never liked only having 7+1.

I have owned a 38 super 1911 for 7 years and never shot it. I don't know.

10mm is by far my favorite pistol round. Big and high power the FBI developed the modern round the world needed. Unfortunately recoil and size made it a no go with female officers. I own 3.

Which brings me to my least favorite, the 40. It's a bastard round. It's neither fast nor big. It does nothing particularly well but fit in ladies' hands.

Riding shotgun and it was a lucky shot?
Not supposed to shoot things from vehicles.
Tisk tisk :poke:

The 9 is more popular because historically is has become a worldwide round.
Lot of guns for it, lot of rounds made in that caliber. .38 super has always been a competition round and not really widely known for self defense. Not too many guns or rounds made for it. Just a matter of convenience. The masses have no idea what the ballistics are between the two and only follow what's given them.

My daily CC is my Glock 26 9mm loaded with RBCD ammo... I mainly got it because I own a few other 9mm weapons and already have a ton of ammo for it.. so it just worked out best.. I think though in the future I am going to seek out a thinner revolver as a CC like a .38 +P 5 round s&w or something like that.

Ok, heres actually what i carry, dan wesson .357 mag, with optional barrels for whatever mood im in that day...:laugh:

357.jpg

Isn't it great we can all sit around post pics and talk about GUNS ?

What gun thread isn't complete without this?

God bless America!

My carry, my competition and my home defense are all 9's. I have no concern that they won't do their intended job :laugh:

Jonny

Back