Advice from conceal carry instructors

Don't practice without ear protection. Depending on the weapon shooting pistols and rifles can cause irreparable damage to the ear after only a few shots. It won't make you completely deaf but can damage you ears. The point is well taken though - shooting guns without ear protection is a whole different paradigm.

For home defense I keep a pair of ear muffs stashed with my weapons. As for reloading in a real life civilian shooting - I think it's highly unlikely that an defensive engagement won't be over after a couple shots fired. Someone would have to have an objective of killing you or be cornered for a civilian engagement to continue more than a couple shots. Just presenting a weapon in most cases will cause a perp to flee...

I agree that shooting without ear protection ("say what") is not a good idea. I've got tinnitis from it. However, if someone were in my house, I wouldn't but putting in ear protection, because you need to be able to hear as much as you can before the shooting starts, and I'll trade a little hearing loss for the intel on where the intruders are, now many, and what they are doing...

First off the engagement is not real loud, in fact it is usually not even noticed at the moment. Yes you will get hearing damage and you may not be able to hear much afterward, but at the time of firing it will be like a thump/crack that you don't even think about. Now, no shooting without hearing protection! Also, unless the guy is moving quite rapidly, inside a house it is very easy to drop them. Studies have been done about bad guys shooting. They do remarkably well as they have no crappy training to overcome, they just point (One handed!) and shoot. Bingo they hit the target/cop. It is amazing........totally different than what you would think.

Two things you need to grasp in a firefight.

It's gonna be LOUD, REAL LOUD!!! We wear ear plugs and ear muffs at the range, but you're never gonna have any ear protection in a real life situation. Are you ready for that? Disorentation will need to be overcome quickly. Practice without ear protection a few times to see how it feels.

Learn to reload during the firefight. It's easy at the range. I bet not in a stressfull envoirnment. My Glock only holds 6 rounds, but 2 extra clips might be needed if you miss with a few attempts. Remember, conditions will be less than ideal.
My Hellcat Pro is 15+1
If he's still coming after 16 rounds a reload probably isn't going to help LOL

Back