concealed carry do you keep it chambered

It seems like we have a lot of gun gurus on this forum. :thumbsup: Where would you guys suggest starting out, to learn about gun specs/models, to get training. I've fired friend's weapons before at the range and been hunting with other friends a couple times, but still don't know where to get started. I find it difficult to trust the word of the guys at the gun shops, as they have a self interest in selling me something.

Any advice would be welcome.

So what would guys say is a good caliber for stopping someone, hopefully with one shot?

I know a 12-gauge does this, sometimes without even a shot... :laugh:

But I'm thinking handgun calibers. :whistle:

So what would guys say is a good caliber for stopping someone, hopefully with one shot?

everyone has their own taste in caliber and bullet type...I always carry .45 acp hydra-shock (steel core hollow points) or .357 hp

:thumbsup:

Hey AA there's a gun show at Hara Arena this weekend, I think Bill Goodmans. Hoping to find some Obama specials myself!

More people have been killed with a .22 than any other bullet...it's not what you carry, it's if you DO carry. Something is better than nothing. Find a handgun/caliber that you are comfortable with, can shoot with, and fits you well. If that's a .45, good..if it's a .22 or .25, that's fine too. Accuracy is more important than caliber. I have large caliber handguns, but frankly I like the weight, handling and accuracy of my 9mm best.

More people have been killed with a .22 than any other bullet...it's not what you carry, it's if you DO carry. Something is better than nothing. Find a handgun/caliber that you are comfortable with, can shoot with, and fits you well. If that's a .45, good..if it's a .22 or .25, that's fine too. Accuracy is more important than caliber. I have large caliber handguns, but frankly I like the weight, handling and accuracy of my 9mm best.

Also don't forget to take any zip ties off the trigger before you chamber a round... :whistle:

It seems like we have a lot of gun gurus on this forum. :thumbsup: Where would you guys suggest starting out, to learn about gun specs/models, to get training. I've fired friend's weapons before at the range and been hunting with other friends a couple times, but still don't know where to get started. I find it difficult to trust the word of the guys at the gun shops, as they have a self interest in selling me something.

Any advice would be welcome.

go to a local gun shop and ask about the "conceal carry safety course" registration about $100. they will get you set up in the right direction. once you've successfully passed the course, you have to apply to your police dept. in your city or town about another $100. they will do a backround check which takes about a month. i would suggest finding a good firing range that provides "ala carte" for pistol rental. you can fire an assortment of hand guns and hopefully find one that fits you best. good luck!

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. (waiting for attack)

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46

6. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my shotgun.'

7. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.' To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.
:laugh::thumbsup:

That prompts me to ask another question. Is .45 acp the same as .45 auto? And how does that differ from g.a.p.?

45acp (automatic colt pistol) is same as 45 auto. The 45gap (Glock automatic pistol) is a different round. Glock developed the 45gap after numerous complaints that their full size 45, the G21 was too big in the grip. The 45gap was designed so that it could be fitted on the smaller frame such as the G17 and G22. Ballistics of the 45acp and 45gap are almost identical but don't load them into the wrong gun.

I would avoid the 45gap as the round never did take off like Glock had hoped it would and I see it as something that will be hard to find in the coming years

More people have been killed with a .22 than any other bullet... Accuracy is more important than caliber.

With that being said, I sometimes carry my walther P22, although for some reason, it still seems a bit more bulky than my 38 so thats what I usually carry while riding. Theres just something about a revolver that makes it feel more "manly",lol.
Nobody take that the wrong way.. I also own several autos:thumbsup:

go to a local gun shop and ask about the "conceal carry safety course" registration about $100. they will get you set up in the right direction. once you've successfully passed the course, you have to apply to your police dept. in your city or town about another $100. they will do a backround check which takes about a month. i would suggest finding a good firing range that provides "ala carte" for pistol rental. you can fire an assortment of hand guns and hopefully find one that fits you best. good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that next week.

More people have been killed with a .22 than any other bullet Accuracy is more important than caliber.

unless we're dealing with some limp wristed girly dudes here (they wouldn't own busas if they were):laugh:I don't think accuracy is going to be an issue. In a life or death situation you don't need distance, you need stopping power.

I keep one in the chamber....well not any more

Plaxico Burress

I keep one in the chamber....well not any more

Plaxico Burress

:rofl:

Rim%20Shot%20Johnny%20Utah.jpg

In a life or death situation you don't need distance, you need stopping power.

Not really a valid concept. Turns out that short of .50 cal or a cannon of some sort, virtually all pistol fire has no real ability to "stop" or move a human target. Not to say that a human wouldn't stop from the pain/shock of being shot, but the ammo simply doesn't have enough mass or surface area to impart a stopping force to a human target since that target will "make way" (be damaged) for the bullet to pass through. In order to push/stop a body, that body would have to maintain structural integrity and not allow the bullet to pass through tissue in order to give the bullet a way to transfer motion to the body.

Therefore, I would go with accuracty over power. A smaller round that hits will always be preferrable to a larger round that misses.

Stay low and keep your helmet on! :beerchug:

Not really a valid concept. Turns out that short of .50 cal or a cannon of some sort, virtually all pistol fire has no real ability to "stop" or move a human target. Not to say that a human wouldn't stop from the pain/shock of being shot, but the ammo simply doesn't have enough mass or surface area to impart a stopping force to a human target since that target will "make way" (be damaged) for the bullet to pass through. In order to push/stop a body, that body would have to maintain structural integrity and not allow the bullet to pass through tissue in order to give the bullet a way to transfer motion to the body.

Therefore, I would go with accuracy over power. A smaller round that hits will always be preferrable to a larger round that misses.

Stay low and keep your helmet on! :beerchug:

well my 2cents on that are a 22 hitting you in the shoulder wont do a whole lot. but a 45 hollow point will....well lets just say make it "immobile":laugh:

H&K .40 usp in a Galco "Miami" rig, with a S&W 4506 in small of the back, Taurus PT1911 FBI Canted on right side, Walther P22 in an ankle holster. H&K contains subsonic rounds. Don't ask me anything more.

Back