Concealed Carry

carrying a gun is the easy part, although there is a right way and a wrong way to do it and more to consider than just strapping it on and taking off. The part that most people have a hard time grasping and learning is the law side of it. When to use the gun, when not to use the gun etc. Sometimes just because you can use it doesn't mean you should. Then if you do ever have to use it, the aftermath that follows.

Those that have states that teach more than just how to shoot the gun are well ahead of the curve in my opinion. Class may be longer but it is time well spent if it is a good class.

congratulations! the course only sucks if you don't have any interest in the topic. i thought the class was very informative and i learned more than i expected. the best part is buying your own "piece", it was a very cool experience. :whistle:

carrying a gun is the easy part, although there is a right way and a wrong way to do it and more to consider than just strapping it on and taking off. The part that most people have a hard time grasping and learning is the law side of it. When to use the gun, when not to use the gun etc. Sometimes just because you can use it doesn't mean you should. Then if you do ever have to use it, the aftermath that follows.

Those that have states that teach more than just how to shoot the gun are well ahead of the curve in my opinion. Class may be longer but it is time well spent if it is a good class.
shoot 1st, ask questions later..

shoot 1st, ask questions later..

That's great in theory and sounds even better, problem with it is it makes you no better than those you are trying to protect yourself and family from. With proper training you are better at recognizing when use of force is justified and greatly reduce you chances of spending some time in prison.

I plan on carrying a 9mm. Alot of people like bigger calibers, but I am comfortable with my 9mm. I also have a nice "pocket sized" 380. Either one of those should do the job if it is ever needed. I hope I never have to use it, but with times being what they are, you never know.
I don't think they are going to do anything with the gun laws. They are just going to raise the price of ammunition so high that alot of people won't be able to buy it.
I still have 2 weeks before the class, and I am getting more and more excited.
The guy that teaches it is a retired secret service agent, and they say that he tells some really awesome stories. :cheerleader:

nothing wrong with a 9. you get a few more rounds that way too!

Know the law, know your weapon and rest easy knowing you have the tools to defend yourself / loved ones. :beerchug:

I plan on carrying a 9mm. Alot of people like bigger calibers, but I am comfortable with my 9mm. I also have a nice "pocket sized" 380. Either one of those should do the job if it is ever needed. I hope I never have to use it, but with times being what they are, you never know.
I don't think they are going to do anything with the gun laws. They are just going to raise the price of ammunition so high that alot of people won't be able to buy it.
I still have 2 weeks before the class, and I am getting more and more excited.
The guy that teaches it is a retired secret service agent, and they say that he tells some really awesome stories. :cheerleader:

Nothing at all wrong with a 9mm. Depending upon what 9mm you are carrying I would highly recommend the Speer Gold Dot in 9mm +P, 124 grain. Awesome round for the 9mm.

I have considered converting my 10mm to a 9mm, 9x25 that is. Will throw a 90 grain 9mm at 2200 + fps. :laugh:

Good luck and have fun. I suggest paying close attention to the liability issues, perhaps become familiar with the laws of your state regarding deadly force. Deadly force is not limited to just firearms either. You really can't shoot first, ask questions later, although that does sound rather cool.....kinda like "loud pipes save lives". There is specific criteria for deadly force.

As for the size, bigger is not always better, with handguns that is. I prefer my .32 TomCat or my .38 snubnose, spurless.

Keep in mind semi and automatics can and do jam... revolvers seldom-rarely if ever jam.

A good CCW gun is a snub nose 38 special. Wardie

Yeah, Autos Jam... :whistle:

I think I heard of one once back in 1910 or something like that.

Revolvers fail too, there is no "Magic" weapon, I love my revolvers and my Autos. I carry an auto. Over the last 17 years or so of being involved in shooting, the only autos I've seen jam are Ruger .22, and a Smith and Wesson .22.

Take care of your weapon and like anything else it'll be there.

Revolvers fail too, there is no "Magic" weapon, I love my revolvers and my Autos. I carry an auto. Over the last 17 years or so of being involved in shooting, the only autos I've seen jam are Ruger .22, and a Smith and Wesson .22.

I've witnessed issues with Taurus :whistle: Never witnessed a glock malfunction, well there was the time the dude loaded 9 mil in a 40 :whistle:

My Taurus PT has jammed once, but I think that was due to using old (and I do mean old) ammunition. It really shoots good. It groups pretty well for an auto. But if you rapid fire it, some of the accuracy goes away when it gets hot. But I figure that is pretty normal for any gun.

Who are you taking it with? i wanted to take a class before the year end but that didnt work out oh well...since i have my FL CCP the state of NC would not let me Transfer it over to a NC CCP good luck with the class.What type of gun will you bring?

Man I am SOOOOOOO sorry, I just saw your IM.

Return IM sent. Let me know when you want to do it and I'll hook you up.

Chris

+1 on that

Had about 30+ guns (pre-divorce the number is...slightly less now :banghead:)
most of them auto (non of them Glocks btw) and NONE have ever jammed.

Buy a good quality auto and barring mfg. defect it should never jam.

I worked part time at a gunshop (I worked for store credit :whistle:)
and the things I could tell you...

A few rules...If conceal carry:

Buy Quality - Saving a few hundred dollars for a "cheap" brand that will jam
may cost you your life. That few hundred dollars will not comfort the ones
you left behind. If your going to buy cheap, don't bother carrying...it's a
waste of time. Can't tell you the number of people that would come in and
say they want to buy a carry gun but don't want to spend that much...you
might as well just carry a rock and hope for the best.

Shoot your gun - I personally run thru 200-500 rounds minimal without
a failure (never had one of mine not pass) and be accurate or it doesn't
go in my holster. Had a guy trade in his carry gun...unfired....DUH :banghead:
That is not a gun in your holser...that's a question mark and I suggest you
answer the question before your trust your life with it.

Practice drawing your gun - unloaded of course. And that includes drawing
releasing safties and firing. When the time comes, God forbid, that you must
take a life to save yours or others...you want one, smooth, proficient motion
relying mostly on muscle memory and reflex. Last thing you want to do is
fart around trying to get it out of the holser and fumbling with safties...you
or your loved ones could be dead by then.

If your not dead serious about carrying...then don't,
it ain't fun, it's not cool, and it doesn't empower you as
a badarse...it can save your life and in the same instance
change it for the worse forever. You will wind up in jail and
probably sued and have lawyer fees till you die.

But better to tried by 12 than carried by 6.

A few personal notes...
taurus is allright but your kinda at the bottom of the barrel. I don't know if
I'd trust my life with one. There are much better choices.

Thanks to marketing and Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive movies, people
think glocks are the only thing that fires. IMHO they are decent guns but
fugly, have a crappy trigger, and a goofy grip angle...I own 9 Sigs and they
all fire every each every time and none are as ugly as the poo in my backyard
just buy quality and verify it's defect free by shooting it.

CZ makes good stuf...own a P0-1, that thing rocks big time. Excellent
carry gun, nice a compact. NATO approved after a couple years of tesing
beat out the compition. CZ recently picked up Dan Wesson...they now make
a 1911 comander sized bobtail, decent price excellent quality. My buddy at
the shop said they were comming out with a (blued-not blued cause it's
aluminum) version.

A couple years back that "buddy" took me to the shot show in Orlando
WOW...that was fun (dealer only)

Last edited:
Wife and I sent all the paperwork off to the state two weeks ago. $52 for figerprinting and $75 to the state each for a lifetime CCW. Indiana doesn't require any classes or anything which really concerns me.....all it is is a background check and pay your fees.

We had a guns show this weekend that my father and I went to...OH MY GOD...never seen that many people at a gun show. We got there after lunch and there were 200+ people in line at the door. Standing room only inside. Most dealers sold most of their stock by closing of the day on Saturday. It was a good chance for my father and I to hold anything we wanted and figure out what fits best.

I came away really liking the feel of the HK P30/30L and the Springfield XDMs. Went back to grab a P30L for $769, but they were out.....A different local dealer will have some in stock on Tuesday for $789, so I anticipate I will own one here soon. Everyone else around here wants $1050-1200 for em.... I am liking one of the SW 340s for my wife.

haven't owned an HK yet but there are next on the list
I like the P30 too :thumbsup:

HK seems very proud of their stuff :banghead: $$$$

Shoot, I would love to have a Glock or an HK, but right now, it just isn't in the cards for me. I will get a different one one of these days, but for now, I will have to make do with what I have. I have shot enough rounds through it that I know it pretty well. So far, it has been trouble free. I just hope it stays that way (especially if it comes to self defense).

Back