.45ACP Ammo

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I'm gonna pick up a Glock 36 (compact .45),(my new concealed carry), in December. I told wife to get me some ammo for Christmas.

I live in the country with lots of animals, including a bear near the house. Here is my current ammo of choice,

(Cor-Bon Thunder Ranch DPX Defensive Ammunition 45 ACP +P 185 Grain Barnes Solid Copper X-Bullet)

Any comments on the ammo? or the Website(MidwayUSA), Ill purchase it from?

P.S most of the lower priced ammo is out of stock.

Link:

MidwayUSA - Cor-Bon Thunder Ranch DPX Defensive Ammunition 45 ACP +P 185 Grain Barnes Solid Copper X-Bullet Box of 20

Thanks for any input, John

Last edited:
First off, I hope you aren't planning on bear hunting with a Glock 36, I wouldn't think that would work in your favor real well.

As far as ammo goes I am not a fan of Cor-bon products. I have attended and been part of testing of some of their ammo about 3 years back, this was conducted and overseen by analysts from the state police crime lab. None of it performed the way they say it will. I only carry a couple different brands of ammunition.

I would stick with either Speer Gold Dot or Winchester SXT Ranger if you can get your hands on it. Gold dot should be readily available. Both are bonded bullets and have great weight retention and both fully expand in a consistent manner.

Now if you want my personal recommendation on where to get ammo, check out this place. He's out in Utah, I have no connection to him other than I buy ammo from him because he is one of the few places in the country that produces a full power load for a 10mm auto, my preferred weapon to carry.

Doubletapammo Shop

Then look at the 200 grain gold dot. Note the velocity and ft./lbs of his ammo. Ballistics : 1125fps - 562 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911 Keep in mind that is a 5" 1911 test gun
The Cor-bon is 1075fps -475 ft./lbs and they are lighter but we don't know the test gun.
I will also add that I have chronographed plenty of his ammunition and it has always been consistent.

osCommerce

Next compare price, Cor-bon from midway $39.99 for 20 rounds Vs Doubletap $33.95 for 50 rounds.

Either way, good luck and enjoy that 36, they are nice carry guns!

First off, I hope you aren't planning on bear hunting with a Glock 36, I wouldn't think that would work in your favor real well.

As far as ammo goes I am not a fan of Cor-bon products. I have attended and been part of testing of some of their ammo about 3 years back, this was conducted and overseen by analysts from the state police crime lab. None of it performed the way they say it will. I only carry a couple different brands of ammunition.

I would stick with either Speer Gold Dot or Winchester SXT Ranger if you can get your hands on it. Gold dot should be readily available. Both are bonded bullets and have great weight retention and both fully expand in a consistent manner.

Now if you want my personal recommendation on where to get ammo, check out this place. He's out in Utah, I have no connection to him other than I buy ammo from him because he is one of the few places in the country that produces a full power load for a 10mm auto, my preferred weapon to carry.

Doubletapammo Shop

Then look at the 200 grain gold dot. Note the velocity and ft./lbs of his ammo. Ballistics : 1125fps - 562 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911 Keep in mind that is a 5" 1911 test gun
The Cor-bon is 1075fps -475 ft./lbs and they are lighter but we don't know the test gun.
I will also add that I have chronographed plenty of his ammunition and it has always been consistent.

osCommerce

Next compare price, Cor-bon from midway $39.99 for 20 rounds Vs Doubletap $33.95 for 50 rounds.

Either way, good luck and enjoy that 36, they are nice carry guns!

Nope, not gonna hunt the bear :laugh:, Lots of good info, just the kinda info I was looking for Thanks:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nope, not gonna hunt the bear :laugh:, Lots of good info, just the kinda info I was looking for Thanks:thumbsup:

I'm betting if you try it you will like it! The Glock 36 is a bit smaller than a full size Glock 21, so you will notice some added recoil but it should be manageable if you have much experience with handguns.

I carry Remington Golden Sabres, as well as Federal Hi-Velocity Personal Defense (maybe .380 rounds). I have a box of Cor-Bon 185+P for my .4, but I haven't shot them yet. I am anxious to try the Winchester SXT & the Hronady TAP (I currently have some in my 12 ga.), they were higly recommended by several gun advocates in the area.

I have been a long-time Golden Sabre user, as they were sold to me to be one of the closest rounds that civilians can get that performs similar to a Black Talon.

I am not as well versed as CTA when it comes to the Ballistic numbers, but I know carry a .45 with some hot azz loads that can cause severe carnage, when properly placed. And have spent several nights this year at Holiday Inns !! :laugh:

Seriosuly, though CTA, share some more of your vast knowledge. I have thought about getting a box of Hornady TAP, Win SXT, & my Sabres and doing some testing at the range. But that is a lot of good ammo & not to mention high $$ ammo to go and shoot up at the range right now, just to see which one I prefer. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

Last edited:
I'm betting if you try it you will like it! The Glock 36 is a bit smaller than a full size Glock 21, so you will notice some added recoil but it should be manageable if you have much experience with handguns.

Cool, I have shot many handguns. When I lived in Colorado Springs, we had a Caswells. You could rent/shoot many guns. Amonst the ones I rented/shot was S&W Double action .45, 44mag Desert Eagle(Sweet), Colt Combat Commander.

I have owned a Taurus 4" .357, and Beretta 92F, for years, both are a little too big for CC. I had a nice Stainless .38 I gave my sister, ever since the search has been on for my "new" CC. I think the Glock 36 looks like a good choice

Last edited:
"And have spent several nights this year at Holiday Inns !! :laugh:"

I sleep there so I can get smarter:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I carry Remington Golden Sabres, as well as Federal Hi-Velocity Personal Defense (maybe .380 rounds). I have a box of Cor-Bon 185+P for my .4, but I haven't shot them yet. I am anxious to try the Winchester SXT & the Hronady TAP (I currently have some in my 12 ga.), they were higly recommended by several gun advocates in the area.

I have been a long-time Golden Sabre user, as they were sold to me to be one of the closest rounds that civilians can get that performs similar to a Black Talon.

I am not as well versed as CTA when it comes to the Ballistic numbers, but I know carry a .45 with some hot azz loads that can cause severe carnage, when properly placed. And have spent several nights this year at Holiday Inns !! :laugh:

Seriosuly, though CTA, share some more of your vast knowledge. I have thought about geeting a box of Hornady TAP, Win SXT, & my Sabres and doing some testing at the range. But that is a lot of good ammo & not to mention high $$ ammo to go and shoot up at the range right now, just to see which one I prefer. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

The Winchester SXT Ranger will perform better than the Black Talons ever did. Many gains have been made in bonding bullets since the Black Talon was on the market. To be honest the SXT Ranger is nearly the exact same thing as the Black Talon, just doesn't have the black coating. The gains that have been made since the black talons were on the market allows for the bullet to expand larger and more consistent and retain more of it's weight and shape than what the black talons ever could. Dig a Winchester SXT Ranger out of a block of ballistic gelatin and tell me what it looks like, it will look just like the pictures of the black talons but it won't have the black coating.

As for the Golden Sabre ammo, remington was offering them as a bonded bullet as well and I've tested some of them. They perform very very well and there is nothing wrong with them at all, provided they are in the bonded version of the bullet.

Why do we want bonded? Bonded bullets hold together, you will not see the jackets separating from the core, you won't have fragments of bullet that didn't penetrate deep enough. When the bullet holds together it has a much better chance of breaking bones and penetrating deeper.

Two things are what determines how fast a threat is stopped. First is shot placement, unless you hit your target in an area that will immobilize the target, the target may continue to fight. A determined target, such as a man who is shooting back at you, will continue to fight. Two areas that will cause such immobilization, head shot which strikes medulla oblongata or spine shot which causes paralyzation. The second thing is loss of blood. If you don't have placement to cause immediate disruption the only other way you will stop it is to cause it too bleed out. What are to factors that cause it to bleed quicker? Size of hole and depth of wound. So the deeper you can wound it and the bigger the outlet for the blood the quicker it will stop fighting.

Cool, I have shot many handguns. When I lived in Colorado Springs, we had a Caswells. You could rent/shoot many guns. Amonst the ones I rented/shot was S&W Double action .45, 44mag Desert Eagle(Sweet), Colt Combat Commander.

I have owned a Taurus 4" .357, and Beretta 92F, for years, both are a little too big for CC. I had a nice Stainless .38 I gave my sister, ever since the search has been on for my "new" CC. I think the Glock 36 looks like a good choice

I carry my Glock 20 concealed all the time. It may be a little more uncomfortable for me, but if I ever need it, it will be a whole lot more uncomfortable for those who created the need.

I have a buddy I work with who is all of about 5'6" at 180 lbs, and that is soaking wet and he can conceal a Glock 21 wearing only jeans or shorts and a Tshirt and you will never know it was there.

More times than not the bigger guns require a better holster for concealing them effectively, they are a bit tougher but it can be done.

The G36, it's a piece of cake and you will love it for carrying purposes plus you still have plenty of power.

When I'm not in the mood to carry a bigger gun, I've got a Ruger LCP 380 that I just drop in my pocket and go. Also great for carrying inside my breast pocket in my riding jacket when on the busa. :thumbsup:

Good info.

What about the Hornady TAP, for pistol ammuntion? I have shot the .00 buck in my 12 ga. It has a real nice pattern at about 25 yards. I can say that it is a really "cute" looking bullet, but what are it's numbers and weight retention like?

Last edited:
Hey is the SXT for you LEO's only or what?

I've not tested any of the Hornady Tap ammo so I can't say much good or bad about it.

As far as the SXT Ranger ammo, it is designated Law Enforcement only but I have seen it sold at many guns shows etc. If you look hard enough you can find it. The isn't really anything special about it that makes is a superior bullet though just because it's labeled LE use only.

Okay, I did a little quick homework on it.

Winchester Ranger 230-Grain .45 ACP

Thanks again for the info.

I could have had several boxes at the last show I went to. The guys sold some to my buddy for his .40. I just thought he was hitting hime will salesman BS when he was referring to it as LE ammunition.

End of the day, I want maximum stoppage, and when someone that is seasoned & certified such as yourself makes a point and backs it up with the research, then that helps me make my decision.

I will try to get some at a few different places here in Houston or wait for the next show.

I would stick with either Speer Gold Dot or Winchester SXT Ranger if you can get your hands on it. Gold dot should be readily available.

+1 on the Gold Dot and SXT Ammo.

Federal Hydra-shok could be another choice, however for the reasons CTA stated, the other two are more desirable.

This thread got me thinking. I have been contemplating getting a full size 45 primarily for paper but also Home defense etc. Anyways I came across this guys thread today and if you have a weak stomach when it comes to weapon abuse don't look. But it is amazing the stuff the guy put the Glock 21 through! I have never been a super big fan of plastic guns but man! :beerchug:

This thread got me thinking. I have been contemplating getting a full size 45 primarily for paper but also Home defense etc. Anyways I came across this guys thread today and if you have a weak stomach when it comes to weapon abuse don't look. But it is amazing the stuff the guy put the Glock 21 through! I have never been a super big fan of plastic guns but man! :beerchug:

WOW, talk about torture!!

when I was shooting regularly with my IPSC buddy, I did all my own loading.. (he shot easily 3500+ rounds a week off season, I might have shot 500) is it practical for you to buy a short supply of premium ammo and load all your own practice stuff?

Back