Not a good day shooting

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I've got daddy duty this weekend, so while my daughter was gone to a cross-country meet, I went with a friend of mine (retired Army) out shooting. The difference between he and I is that he's actually USED a rifle (if you get my meaning). We both needed to comfirm zeros on our rifles (both Bushmasters), and I wanted to put some rounds thru my .40 Glocks. Stopped by the gun store first and had the armorer install extended slide stop and mag release on my Glock. My bud has a friend with a farm and some acreage and a makeshift range on it nearby. So we went down, measured and set up some zero targets.

My friend was having a hard time finding a zero (mostly because he wasn't making a solid bed to shoot from), so he took a break and I confirmed my zero; it was off but corrected pretty easy.

Then we started having ammo problems. I've never seen anything like it. His rifle starts jamming and won't feed regardless of what we try. Then I find a shell casing on the ground. I wish I'd taken a pic, cause I've shot THOUSANDS of rounds of 5.56 and never seen anything like this - the shell casing was sheared off about .25 inch from the base...so I got to thinking about where the rest of the casing was....sure enough, it was still inside the chamber (which is why rounds wouldn't feed)...You really had to look close to see it, because you could see all the way thru the barrel...can't get it out so that rifle's done for the day.

Then, mine jams with a live round about halfway in the chamber (I think I tried to shoot some of his rounds that the casings may have been bent), and we don't have a cleaning rod with us, so we shoot our pistols a little while (either my sights are off or I can't shoot worth a crap anymore) and stop by the gunshop on the way back to have the gunsmith take a look. He takes a cleaning rod and punches my round out - no problem. But he can't get the broken casing out of the other upper without an extraction tool, which he didn't have with him, so that upper will have to be fixed later this week. NEVER seen that happen before...

I'm going to clean my rifle, make sure it feeds with new ammo, then take the upper off and drop those spare rounds we tried into the barrel by hand and see if any of them are bent (and trash them). I have never ever had a feed problem. Not sure if it was his ammo or mine, but all of it was Federal factory. I THINK what's happened is that some casings have gotten bent when mass loading mags, and I'm going to have to go thru every round one at time to see if they are bent or not. That's gonna take a few days - only way to find out is to drop one at a time in a clean chamber and see if it binds.

Oh, one other thing. The guys that own the property show up. Classic rednecks. Now, I don't shoot with people I don't know, and my friend and I are both big on gun safety. This guy pulls out a .45 caliber automatic (i don't even know the brand); he wants to sell it. So I ask him if I could see it, and of course, he POINTS IT AT ME when handing it too me - WHOA there buddy point that thing somewhere else please! First thing I try to do is open the slide to see if it's loaded (I won't hand a weapon to someone unless i clear it first) and can't do it - hand it back, and of course he POINTS IT AT ME AGAIN when he opens the slide - and of course a bullet ejects- jeez I was pissed. He NEVER BOTHERED to mention it was chambered. Not a good day all around...

ya have your days and ya have your days. I doubt mass loading mags will bend the ammo, was this a new lot or batch, do they have same lot numbers? Get some new stuff and try your rifle out to make sure it was the rounds and not the weapon.

hey now...not all us "rednecks" point guns at the wrong people ya know....lol

Wow that's terrible. I've never heard of a shell shearing off, did you happen to get a picture

Better luck next time though.

What kind of ammo? Euro laquered steel cases or American made brass cases?
Yes a broken case extractor should be part of any range bag.

I never buy a gun from someone who passes around a loaded/chambered gun like it's a beer. Ususally a sign they are careless about (not just saftey but) caring for the weapon.

Glad you made it home safe man...I agree with don't shoot with someone you don't know!

What kind of ammo? Euro laquered steel cases or American made brass cases?
Yes a broken case extractor should be part of any range bag.

American Federal M855. I've shot a bunch of it from the same batch without a single issue. I cleaned mine, and ran about 6 loaded mags worth thru it by hand and they all went fine - but if there is a thin case issue....dunno...

Yep, I told my friend that, in the future, I'd rather go shoot somewhere else - that I could tell a visitor to 'go away'...not one of my better days.

Geeeze, you are right, that qualifies as an awful day! I guess you could say, "at least I didn't have a breech rupture". Having a loaded weapon pointed at you by a "know nothing" is always bad though.....glad you came out OK on the other side!

Did you save the broken case? Send it back to Federal with a box end showing lot number so they will know about it. In turn I bet they send you some free ammo.

Could be a few things actually. Is it true surplus M855 with a LC headstamp with the NATO circle cross on it? The bullet could have gotten jammed back in the case during manufacturing, transport, or loading in the camber and caused the case to over pressure and stick in the chamber so it was probably ripper in half when the bolt tried to extract it. Also could simply be from the gun needing to be cleaned.

Years ago, a buddy had just gotten a 1919 .30cal. The 2nd round through the thing got torn in half and jammed her up pretty bad. I never did get to shoot that gun.

It really is amazing how some people treat a loaded weapon. I'm not known as the safest person in most areas, but when it comes to firearms, ya better believe I follow the rules. MC, Bots, loomis, and snooki all made it out of the range alive after letting me get my hands on some guns. I think they were genuinely surprised. :rofl:

Glad ya made it out safe Keith :thumbsup:

Sounds like a frustrating day for sure! Guess you should have just opted to go jump from planes instead :poke: :lol:

I’d get that chamber looked at also, just for peace of mind, but i would definitely do what Blanca suggested and take a pic, describe what happened and the lot number on the ammo, Federal might be interested to know about this.

and theres nothing like getting a loaded weapon pointed at ya to ruin your day, just makes your nerves buzz.

You guys are all making me want to shoot a bunch of lead this weekend. Might have to stock up for Labor day weekend. :cheerleader:

Back