.45ACP Ammo

Good Question!.......My buddies tell me ammo is hard to find with the ammo/gun grab going on right now. If you look at the ammolink, I have at the top of this thread, all the lower/mid priced stuff is sold out/ backordered.

At the moment reloading might be the only way to avoid sold out/back ordered status of many shops.

I know ammo is hard to find! I think, that in Idaho Falls (pop: 60K), it gets down to what is most popular. The more popular ammo is the harder it is to find. I've been here two years and finally I saw a box of .45 230 grain Hydra-shok appear! I can find Gold dot, but the last box of Hydra-shok 230 I bought was in Fort Worth, TX. Now after 2 years, I see two boxes on a shelf.

Question is why? People tell me it is the price of metal. Others say it is a conspiracy to disarm everyone. I doubt the latter. Even cops here have a hard time finding the ammo they like best.

There is quite a bit of + P .45 230 and of course the lighter .45 bullets in + P.
But if you are shooting .45 + P in a 1911, the 18 lb recoil spring needs to be replaced with a 20 pound spring. You really need to shoot quite a bit of the + P you are using if you go that route. Different autos digest + P with varying degrees of success. That and you are beating up a pistol pretty hard with + P. I'm not sure that 200-300 fps is worth the trouble.

People are in a pistol buying frenzy here. There are a lot of Mormons, and they think Obama is determined to take away their guns. I guess the idea is if you buy one and hide it, then you will have one when the decree comes down. I remember hearing Obama say he wasn't out to take anyone's legitimate weapons away. I think there are far more serious problems that any president will be consumed with now. I believe the supreme court just ruled yet again that "...the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall..."
means people and not militias.

So why all the conspiracy talk? Is it something obvious that I just don't see?

I remember hearing Obama say he wasn't out to take anyone's legitimate weapons away. So why all the conspiracy talk? Is it something obvious that I just don't see?

Our definition of legitimate weapons is most likely different from his. Is an AR15 considered legitimate?? Time will tell

I don't like guns, if i ever owned a gun i would probably use it on someone.

I don't carry one because I have a violent temper. In my younger days, I actually shot at people in a car I was chasing because they gave my wife the finger. I decided that a predisposition like that meant I didn't need a weapon at arms length. It is different for people with cooler heads.

What is it that gives a rifle round so much power? It isn't the size but instead it is the speed. The problem with the 9mm wasn't that it was too fast, instead it was that the older bullets did not perform and what was happening was the bullet would pass through without any expansion.

Uum. .223 M16s are very fast but lack penetrating power and knock down power. At least according to the people who are having to use them. The army is actively pursuing a .30 replacement. The special services have switched from 9mm to .45. The FBI found that 9mm hollow points tend to break up on glass and not penetrate heavy clothing.

But, I agree that what you can use effectively outweighs other choices. A full house .357 that pounds your arm and keeps you off target is not my choice. A S&M 500 seems like a useless round to me. But neither one even comes close to a .375 H & H which is prone to be a bit bulky to conceal :rofl: But you do have a second barrel for the last tap after you bring the barrels back out of the sky :beerchug:

I don't like guns, if i ever owned a gun i would probably use it on someone.
well glad you put that out there... kind of goes with your other choices...

I would suggest you never touch a firearm... anything goes wrong, this post will likely send you to prison for a long long time...

The 30 cal replacement spoke of is still much smaller in diameter than a 40S&W or a 45ACP. Compare a 308 to a 300 win mag, only difference is speed, both are also smaller than a 40 or 45 as well. I have to agree that the 223 is a bad example but still when placed correctly it will effectively do the job. As for 9mm penetrating glass, check out what the 124 grain 9mm+P Gold Dot does when fired through glass. From the tests we did with it, the auto glass will eat it up a little but it still maintains much of it's weight, maintains good path and penetrates well.

I agree the large pistol calibers are worthless beyond the first shot due to recoil, size of weapon etc.

ive carried the glock 33 for quite awhile, love the gun just the right size and has plenty of knockdown power. i have also been using the hornaday tap ammo and have had no problems out of it. i use to have the corbon ammo never had a problem there either.

Start running a mile and doing 25 pushups, come up and start shooting on the move. Doubt you'll ever meet a stationary black paper target. :poke:

I knew I should have left off the last sentence saying "Anyone else, feel free to chime in"

Thanks for the advice.

:thumbsup:

I know ammo is hard to find! I think, that in Idaho Falls (pop: 60K), it gets down to what is most popular. The more popular ammo is the harder it is to find. I've been here two years and finally I saw a box of .45 230 grain Hydra-shok appear! I can find Gold dot, but the last box of Hydra-shok 230 I bought was in Fort Worth, TX. Now after 2 years, I see two boxes on a shelf.

Question is why? People tell me it is the price of metal. Others say it is a conspiracy to disarm everyone. I doubt the latter. Even cops here have a hard time finding the ammo they like best.

There is quite a bit of + P .45 230 and of course the lighter .45 bullets in + P.
But if you are shooting .45 + P in a 1911, the 18 lb recoil spring needs to be replaced with a 20 pound spring. You really need to shoot quite a bit of the + P you are using if you go that route. Different autos digest + P with varying degrees of success. That and you are beating up a pistol pretty hard with + P. I'm not sure that 200-300 fps is worth the trouble.

People are in a pistol buying frenzy here. There are a lot of Mormons, and they think Obama is determined to take away their guns. I guess the idea is if you buy one and hide it, then you will have one when the decree comes down. I remember hearing Obama say he wasn't out to take anyone's legitimate weapons away. I think there are far more serious problems that any president will be consumed with now. I believe the supreme court just ruled yet again that "...the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall..."
means people and not militias.

So why all the conspiracy talk? Is it something obvious that I just don't see?

I have to agree with you. The constitution or more so the Supremes would never allow weapons to be taken. However the government could make it harder on those that abide by the law to own weapons and to purchase ammo, but I don't see it being unlawful to ever do so in this country unless you're a felon, etc.

I'm gonna pick up a Glock 36 (compact .45),(my new concealed carry), in December. I told wife to get me some ammo for Christmas.

I live in the country with lots of animals, including a bear near the house. Here is my current ammo of choice,

(Cor-Bon Thunder Ranch DPX Defensive Ammunition 45 ACP +P 185 Grain Barnes Solid Copper X-Bullet)

Any comments on the ammo? or the Website(MidwayUSA), Ill purchase it from?

P.S most of the lower priced ammo is out of stock.

Link:

MidwayUSA - Cor-Bon Thunder Ranch DPX Defensive Ammunition 45 ACP +P 185 Grain Barnes Solid Copper X-Bullet Box of 20

Thanks for any input, John

you will need a bigger weapon for the bear. Shoulder fired big ass rifle, also sling a shot gun with 1 oz slugs for a back up. A couple offensive hand grenades and claymores (on your property perimeter) should top off the list.
If you can afford a RPG get one. Shoulder fired anti tank weapons will most definitely give you a distinct advantage over any intruders foreign and domestic, 4 and 2 legged.
Not recommended for use if your neighbors are very close.

If this seems a little over the top...... sorry, just a nice thought.

:rofl:

Both of you guys have supplied great info. DO3 hit the nail on the hed with them reality of the responsibility carrying a firearm. I honestly think that much of the scum on the streets commiting crimes with guns never really contemplate their decision beforehand, hence you get them turning into little biyatches in the interrogation room once they realize that they have killed someone. I was talking with someon the other day about the First 48, and how most of the shooters always refer to how the gun "just went off" as if it did on its own.

Once again, CT you get to see it firsthand, is that an accurate assessment as far as their emotions?

What is it that gives a rifle round so much power? It isn't the size but instead it is the speed. The problem with the 9mm wasn't that it was too fast, instead it was that the older bullets did not perform and what was happening was the bullet would pass through without any expansion.

Uum. .223 M16s are very fast but lack penetrating power and knock down power. At least according to the people who are having to use them. The army is actively pursuing a .30 replacement. The special services have switched from 9mm to .45. The FBI found that 9mm hollow points tend to break up on glass and not penetrate heavy clothing.

But, I agree that what you can use effectively outweighs other choices. A full house .357 that pounds your arm and keeps you off target is not my choice. A S&M 500 seems like a useless round to me. But neither one even comes close to a .375 H & H which is prone to be a bit bulky to conceal :rofl: But you do have a second barrel for the last tap after you bring the barrels back out of the sky :beerchug:

It's all about what the weapon was designed to do. The 223 round itself is designed to tumble on impact and cause a azz load of internal damage. This lack of penetrating force, especially in short distances is what makes the M4 for example a good CQB or home defense weapon. In theory the round shouldn't penetrate the walls of your home stricking loved ones :whistle:

well glad you put that out there... kind of goes with your other choices...

I would suggest you never touch a firearm... anything goes wrong, this post will likely send you to prison for a long long time...

:rofl: what he said :whistle:

you will need a bigger weapon for the bear. Shoulder fired big ass rifle, also sling a shot gun with 1 oz slugs for a back up. A couple offensive hand grenades and claymores (on your property perimeter) should top off the list.
If you can afford a RPG get one. Shoulder fired anti tank weapons will most definitely give you a distinct advantage over any intruders foreign and domestic, 4 and 2 legged.
Not recommended for use if your neighbors are very close.

If this seems a little over the top...... sorry, just a nice thought.

:rofl:

Might want to build a clay burm around the perimeter of your yard :rofl:

ive carried the glock 33 for quite awhile, love the gun just the right size and has plenty of knockdown power. i have also been using the hornaday tap ammo and have had no problems out of it. i use to have the corbon ammo never had a problem there either.

there is a big misunderstanding about knock down power.
In order for a bullet to knock someone down, it would have to knock down the person that fired the gun.
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction"

You know I got your back :rofl:

But you understood what I was saying; right :poke:

For sure, in the same mindset I have thought about getting into some amateur sport shooting. I forget what the name of the group/league is here in Texas. You are dead-on. The paper target has zero potential for kicking my azz, and/or even worse firing back!!

:beerchug:

Hey is the SXT for you LEO's only or what?

LE labeling is sales hype. I have a box of .45 SXT and the bullets are black. They became unpopular because the sharp edges (which really don't add anything) were piercing surgical gloves when doctors tried to remove them.

Several other bullets that are mentioned have better kill characteristics.
Remember that +P bullets are hard on guns and they may not function well in your particular gun. You should try a couple of boxes first. In 1911 autos, +P bullets should have the recoil spring replaced with a 20lb spring.

I agree with your choice of ammo to a point.

First, anyone who thinks they are going to incapacitate a grizzly with a .45 needs to seriously re-think what they are doing. Grizzly are so tough, you could bounce .45s off their heads all day and just make them more angry. I would feel seriously underpowered with a .454 Casull or a .500 S&W. You really need a rifle. A 30-06 or .308 will do. A 300 magnum would be a better choice. I think these can be had in a carbine, although you will pay a penalty in having you shoulder dis-jointed.

I prefer 1911s. Blocks are just too ugly. I had a sales person show me how you could strike a Glock sideways and knock the gun off its rails. A Springfield Armory model will give you the same pistol with steel rails in the slide and the bottom if you just have to have a plastic pistol. I particularly like Hydra-Shok (Federal) 230 grain hps.

Double friggin' ditto.

--Wag--

Back