The California ammo buying experience

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
How’s this for the California ammo buying experience? I hadn’t bought any in a long time. How does it compare to where you live? I stopped by a couple stores and actually found some 45s, 9mms and 22 WinMags. Since I don’t have that ‘federal’ driver‘s license I had to show my regular license and a certified copy of my birth certificate. Passports will do also. After the $1, one minute background check :laugh: I had to sign a separate form for every caliber I bought. Then, I was able to purchase the ammo. One place restricted my purchase to just one 50 round box per caliber. Funny, every store had one box of 45 Long Colt. Every store, one box. Made me think of getting a big azz long barreled Colt 45 wheel gun!:laugh:What they didn’t have were any 22LR, 38Spc, +P or regular, .357 Mags, .44 Mags, .38S&W and almost no 9mm. Some stores didn’t have any handgun calibers. Apparently people wait in line before the stores open on delivery day. I wonder when the supply will match the demand? So, if they (have) any ammo in stock where you live, how easy or hard is it to buy any?

In good ol’ Florida, I just walk in and ask for X amount of boxes of 9mm/45 and pay. Not sure if other Calibers have restrictions and can’t tell you how well stocked up stores are, because I haven’t had the need to buy lately. I did check “cheaper than dirt” the other day and was shocked when I saw the ridiculous prices.

I buy in bulk usually 1000 to 5000 rounds at a crack depending on caliber, cost, and supply. I live within driving distance of Brownells so it's just grab what I want, pay, and hit the road. I haven't had to buy any for a year or two and most likely won't be looking for a few more months at the soonest.

I went to our local box store to buy pellets for a pellet rifle...I had to show them my driver's license and weapon possession card, then they sealed the pellets into a bright yellow locked box with the anti-tamper/theft device on it..

I just had to chuckle to myself and asked what the threat level of carrying pellets around the store is without all this security....and that was figgin' pellets for crap sakes...

Another guy was there buying BBs for his BB gun and the same thing happened....I didn't even know him but we both skipped down the aisle together and had a real good laugh.

I went to our local box store to buy pellets for a pellet rifle...I had to show them my driver's license and weapon possession card, then they sealed the pellets into a bright yellow locked box with the anti-tamper/theft device on it..

I just had to chuckle to myself and asked what the threat level of carrying pellets around the store is without all this security....and that was figgin' pellets for crap sakes...

Another guy was there buying BBs for his BB gun and the same thing happened....I didn't even know him but we both skipped down the aisle together and had a real good laugh.
Are you serious??

How’s this for the California ammo buying experience? I hadn’t bought any in a long time. How does it compare to where you live? I stopped by a couple stores and actually found some 45s, 9mms and 22 WinMags. Since I don’t have that ‘federal’ driver‘s license I had to show my regular license and a certified copy of my birth certificate. Passports will do also. After the $1, one minute background check :laugh: I had to sign a separate form for every caliber I bought. Then, I was able to purchase the ammo. One place restricted my purchase to just one 50 round box per caliber. Funny, every store had one box of 45 Long Colt. Every store, one box. Made me think of getting a big azz long barreled Colt 45 wheel gun!:laugh:What they didn’t have were any 22LR, 38Spc, +P or regular, .357 Mags, .44 Mags, .38S&W and almost no 9mm. Some stores didn’t have any handgun calibers. Apparently people wait in line before the stores open on delivery day. I wonder when the supply will match the demand? So, if they (have) any ammo in stock where you live, how easy or hard is it to buy any?
I get my ammo deliver by mail. From the sound of it Cali sucks. I run 300 rounds per caliber on a good shooting day. Can't imagine the nightmare I would go thru to keep that kind of shooting up.

I buy in bulk usually 1000 to 5000 rounds at a crack depending on caliber, cost, and supply. I live within driving distance of Brownells so it's just grab what I want, pay, and hit the road. I haven't had to buy any for a year or two and most likely won't be looking for a few more months at the soonest.
Go online looks like it’s a empty warehouse right now.
I don’t see ammo anywhere. Only thing I see is shotgun shells and most of the shelf’s on that are empty.

Iowa you don’t need anything to buy ammo. Prob need to be 18 but I remember buying ammo at the local gas station when I was a kid.

I don’t see ammo anywhere. Only thing I see is shotgun shells and most of the shelf’s on that are empty.

Iowa you don’t need anything to buy ammo. Prob need to be 18 but I remember buying ammo at the local gas station when I was a kid.
Thankfully I bought a bunch of ammo a while back as our shelves are bare too.

Add the fact our government banned almost every semi-auto rifle which led to a huge drop in demand.

I am in Iowa as well. I can buy anything with no issues. I sometimes have to wait for supply but I have no issues getting any Cal I want. Buying threw the mail is very expensive. Have to pay hazmat fees. I too buy in bulk usually 1k rounds at a time for the 4 calibers I own. Shot gun ammo is no issue at all.

They try to always keep some on the physical shelves so people who are buying guns can get ammo as well. If you are into guns at all it's worth the time to stop in if you are driving by on I-80.

When buy 22 ammo here in town at the local Can Tyre I have to show my gun permit and then the clerk take s the ammo to the front cash as I walk with him
I get to show my permit again then Pay for it and then the clerk walks it out of the store and gives it to me
I do not know if this is govt reg or store policy but at least I can buy as much of what I want as long as they have any
and yes I am serious. I do not have a gun shop in town so that is just easier than going to the city
. For anything center fire I have "a guy" who builds it for me. Its easier to buy weed here

hey guys
request

yesterday evening i watched an american movie (with mel gibson)
where a young girl, semmingly over 18, comes at a usual warehouse to the front cash with 6 packs of 9ers plus 1 x chewing gum
and only when she asked also for cigarettes she was asked for ID to check whether she would be 21.
so she gave up the cigs and paid for the 9ers (& gum) without having to show her id.

men?
is that in reality THAT absurd in some states ?
buy ammo, if you look like over 18 but cigs only when 21 or older?
unbelievable for me ;)

the heck.
i own legally a .45 / 1911 and a 6" .357 mag / s&w and if i wanna ammo for them i have to show my special weapon permit plus my id card and no chance at all to get other ammo like .22 or 9ers because those are not noticed in my weapon permit.

and no chance at all to get a gun at a trade fair, or similar, like in some american states.

that is the very restrictive law here in germany.

hey guys
request

where a young girl, semmingly over 18, comes at a usual warehouse to the front cash with 6 packs of 9ers plus 1 x chewing gum
and only when she asked also for cigarettes she was asked for ID to check whether she would be 21.
so she gave up the cigs and paid for the 9ers (& gum) without having to show her id.

men?
unbelievable for me ;)

the heck.
i own legally a .45 / 1911 and a 6" .357 mag / s&w and if i wanna ammo for them i have to show my special weapon permit plus my id card and no chance at all to get other ammo like .22 or 9ers because those are not noticed in my weapon permit.

and no chance at all to get a gun at a trade fair, or similar, like in some american states.

You have to be 21 in FL to buy tobacco, nicotine, alcohol, and ammunition now. You could buy a long gun at 18, but no ammo for it, LOL!
As far as ammo: nearly every store is out of handgun ammo. I buy 90% of my ammo online or from other gun owners and just have it shipped to my house. Prices are insane though...9mm is as expensive as .45

hey guys
request

men?
unbelievable for me ;)

the heck.

Cigs kill more people than ammo... lol

Just bought 10 boxes of .50 AE the other day. In and out in 10 mins and just had to show my possession acquisition license. I'm in Canada though. Still no issues from what I've seen. Would be super weird to not be able to just purchase what you want like in California.

Just bought 10 boxes of .50 AE the other day. In and out in 10 mins and just had to show my possession acquisition license. I'm in Canada though. Still no issues from what I've seen. Would be super weird to not be able to just purchase what you want like in California.
I'm surprised they are still selling .50cal ammo as this one of the rounds which aren't legal due to kinetic energy levels with this new weapon ban.

You (can) purchase what you want as long as any place has any to sell. I’ve scanned a dozen online ammo sellers and nearly all handgun calibers are simply not available or, what little there is can cost well over a dollar per round! I even saw some common .38s with an asking price of $2.10 per round! Long gun ammo and very large calibers are somewhat available but in short supply.

Back