Question for you military guys

the military started using the .223. it makes a great round to wound the enemy. you wound one you take out 2 one extra to carry the downed soldier.

ASixx where you been hiding?

Anyway, I figured when you were in they were still using Muzzleloaders.
laugh.gif

Good info BTW, thanks. Interesting to hear from someone who dislikes the 5.56, all you ever here is praise for the fast light bullet. I'm getting ready to build an M4, but now you got me thinking again about the M1A... I've Been Drooling over the Springfield M1A SOCOM for awhile now. Wonderful rifles, and a do it all caliber, gotta love em. Any thoughts?

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149697109 -->

AA9626Large.jpg

The only thing giving me pause is cost. The M1A is a lot more money than either a Bushmaster Carbon, a Rock River, or Armalite. But I do see ALOT of the M1As in the hands of SOF, when given a choice the prefered weapon of the SEALs seems to be pretty popular.

Here's the Latest Springfield offering. The New SOCOM II with pretty Quad rail System for you to hang shid on..

Anyway, sorry for the thread jack.

AA9627Large.jpg

ASixx where you been hiding?  

Anyway, I figured when you were in they were still using Muzzleloaders.
laugh.gif

Good info BTW, thanks.  Interesting to hear from someone who dislikes the 5.56, all you ever here is praise for the fast light bullet.  I'm getting ready to build an M4, but now you got me thinking again about the M1A...  I've Been Drooling over the Springfield M1A SOCOM for awhile now.  Wonderful rifles, and a do it all caliber, gotta love em.  Any thoughts?
Yeah - muzzleloaders - funny guy...
biggrin.gif

The M1A is a sweetie in my opinion. It has some of the best sights on any MBR and has great ergos, for me anyway, making instinctive shooting and shooting from non-standard positions a breeze. It also shines in a high dirt environment and is easy to maintain. The FAL is also very nice, but doesn't work quite as well for me. The G3 is, in my opinion, an ergonomic mess - like shouldering a 2x4.

But if I were to grab for something to go into the dark place, I have to confess, it'd be a 10T or variant thereof as long as I could take a kit with me. Lacking that, toss me a '14 and I'm good to go.

As to the SOCOM, personally, I'd go with the standard 'long' barrel, but then again, I like to reach out and touch things.

I understand the SOCOMs do pretty well out to around 500 meters, but it takes an operator to keep 'em in the mix at that range. In comparison, my old M1A NM will ring the gong at 880 with boring regularity as long as I'm shooting 168's or heavier. It tends to throw 150's with a bit less care.

Also that one's a bit too dolled up for my tastes. Take away the scope and the picatinny system -- just give me a clean, slick, snag-free carbine. Less to go wrong - less to hang up on your gear.

Remember: The definition of a grunt is a guy who, if you gave him two 3" steel ball bearings, would within a few hours break one and lose the other.

smile.gif

the military started using the .223. it makes a great round to wound the enemy. you wound one you take out 2 one extra to carry the downed soldier.
You hear that a lot, but you don't really see that in reality.

The goal is to STOP an enemy combatant any way you can be it bullets, bombs or blades.

And a wounded combatant can and does often still stay in the fight.

Add to this a recognition that not all forces are primarily humanitarian at their core. In other words, a combatant who falls wounded could very well be left there to fend for himself. Now you have a wounded combatant fighting for his very life as compared to some poor conscripted ####### trying to keep from getting bagged.

Back