Online ammunition sales ban

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I fail to see how this would 'effectively ban all online sales'?

NRA-ILA | Anti-Gun Lawmakers Push Ammunition Sales Ban

On Monday, July 30, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) and U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) introduced legislation that would impose sweeping new--and not so new--restrictions on ammunition sales.

The bills, S. 3458 and H.R. 6241, are known as the “Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act.†*The bill itself has four elements:

A federal licensing requirement for ammunition sellers;
Recordkeeping on all ammunition sales;
Reporting of all sales of more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition to anyone without a federal firearms license within five consecutive business days; and
A photo identification requirement for all non-licensees buying ammunition, “effectively banning the online or mail order purchase of ammo by regular civilians.â€
The two lawmakers’ contempt for “regular civilians†is nothing new, and neither are the first two of the requirements they propose. Starting in 1968, ammunition dealers had to have licenses from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and also had to keep records of purchasers. The recordkeeping requirement on .22 caliber rimfire ammunition was so burdensome that it was repealed in 1982. Congress did away with the remaining licensing and recordkeeping provisions as part of the "Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986" after the BATF itself said the restrictions had “no substantial law enforcement value.â€

The proposed bill would turn back the clock to the days when ammunition was only available in person at licensed stores, driving up prices and making less popular cartridges nearly unobtainable for millions of lawful gun owners. The effect of all of these proposals on competitive shooters, who buy ammunition by the case lot for consistent accuracy and shoot tens of thousands of rounds each year in practice, would be especially devastating. And because the word “ammunition†is defined in federal law to include components such as bullets and empty cartridge cases, the bill would be disastrous for handloaders--especially those who enjoy shooting rare, historic cartridges.

In fact, Lautenberg and McCarthy would do well to heed the words of the Obama administration’s top negotiator at the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty conference, who pointed out to the nations of the world that “Ammunition is … fungible, consumable, reloadable, and cannot be marked in any practical way that would permit it to be tracked or traced. Any practical proposal for ammunition would need to consider the significant burdens associated with licensing, authorizations, and recordkeeping for ammunition that is produced and transferred in the billions of rounds per year.â€

Please contact your U.S. Senators and your U.S. Representative and urge them to oppose S. 3458 and H.R. 6241 respectively.* You can find contact information for your elected officials by using the "Write Your Representatives" tool at NRA-PVF | PVF Home., or you can call your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121 and your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.* Once you have taken this action, please be sure to forward this information to your family, friends, and fellow firearm owners, and strongly encourage them to contact their lawmakers as well.

Many places already require of their own accord a faxed/emailed copy of a photo ID.
I don't have a problem with that? Record keeping kinda on the fence on and same for reporting sales of 1,000 or more rnds. But nothing in there is see effectively bans it or makes it anymore difficult?
Yes I maybe contradicting myself from previous statements of never give an inch but on the face I don't see how if passes it would stop or affect me much?
Is NRA supporting complete faceless purchases to anyone?

ii kept reading it like how do you get effectively banning out of any of that. its all reporting and records. The only thing i can see is technically you cannot order and online and show your photo ID. But liquor and tobacco companies do it so I dont see how thats banning or even slowing anything down....youll just KNOW im sitting on 10k rounds should i decide to lose it AND I make it back home.

I'm the same way. Dont see how it stops anything but may tighten things up a bit.
I got no problem with somebody being required to fax/email a copy of ID to buy a case of ammo, do I? :dunno:

I'm the same way. Dont see how it stops anything but may tighten things up a bit.
I got no problem with somebody being required to fax/email a copy of ID to buy a case of ammo, do I? :dunno:

Sounds like you may be conceding a bit :laugh:

I'm all for it, if it helps prevent another whacko from shooting up a theater full of people :thumbsup:

it is unlawful to shoot up people.....why do these idiot politicians think "new" laws will stop what people do? All a list will do is provide tracking after the fact....or just be a compilation of who has what firearms.

I'm pretty sure the guy in the theater didn't shoot anywhere near 1,000 rounds. I too don't see what this will accomplish. This is just an act that will just waste more of our tax money.

Sounds like you may be conceding a bit :laugh:

I'm all for it, if it helps prevent another whacko from shooting up a theater full of people :thumbsup:

Guys, come on. We have always had whackos and will always have whackos. You cannot stop criminals or whackos with laws

Do3 sure you'll always have whackos but no need to make it easy for them to remain anonymous.

He also drove a truck the the movie theatre with a V8 engine, he didn't use all of the power that truck has so we should bad big engines too....

I have over 6,000 rounds of .40 right now and another 3K of .223.

My buddy has over 19K rounds of .40. I buy the .40 at the gun show 2K at a time and the .223 from Cabelas online because of the free shipping.

Even the thought of restricting me from conducting commerce is angering me to no end. This idiot in CO shot maybe 100 rounds max. I can buy that at Wal-mart right now.

If it continues in this direction we'll have to check our ammunition in at the police station and check it out 5 rounds at a time when we want to go shooting. Gahhh, it's disgusting. Criminals by definition are lawbreakers. They don't care about new laws! If he really wanted ammo he could have just driven to the gunstore and loaded up. Getting it via mail/internet has nothing to do with it.

/rant

Reverend, you need to load up, if you only have 6,000 rounds of .40! How is your 7.62X51 holding out? When the poop hits the fan, that 6,000 will go fast!:laugh:

if youve carried 1000 round boxes then u know unless he came in with a wheel barrow what he had amassed wouldnt have been on his person to fire and even a fraction of it would have severely impaired his mobility.
terrorist have been known to plan for years and people have gone crazy with no planning so when they buy where they buy from and how much at a time or what ID they show at the time of purchase doesnt make a bit of difference. so i maintain theres no law to stop these kinds of events and youre giving the habitual law breakers one more law to support their habit. its all hollow pointless

and as I typed that breaking news come across that theres a shooting in a temple in Wisconsin. sounds like a 1 box over the counter variety though. and since the shooter was gonna break the law, i doubt theres a low that wouldve stopped him/her

edit: sounds like theres a they not him or her

Blanca, you don't want the law to pass. People buy cases (1000rds) ALL THE TIME! They are trying to weasel their way into more laws to hassle the gun owner. Do not go along with seemingly "no big deal" gun laws. They set the stage for a big deal one down the road. In fact, you should go out and buy a 1000rd case of ammo for even thinking of allowing such a law to pass. Plus you should be spanked with a wooden spoon by the woman of your choice. :laugh:

I'm thinking about buying an AK....should I?

Yes,..but stay away from Century Arms. Probably the best (arguably) is Aresnal Arms currently. Though AK's weren't designed with optics in mind, which can be an issue if you don't like the iron sight setup.

Chris

As I recal they tried an ammunition law in the early 80's. I believe they had a reporting requirement of anything over 1000 rounds. The law was repealed a few years later, because they couldn't keep up with the paperwork and follow up. It seemed that people buy over a 1000 rounds of 22lr all the time. It drove them crazy from what I remember.

I don't see why it matters anyway. A bad guy can only carry so much. The clown dude reportedly bougtht 6000 rounds (probably with federal grant money) which weighs over 800 pounds. I wonder if they found a "tactical wheelbarrow" on scene.

Chris

Back