New Military Gadgets on the horizon

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Thought I would post some of the new equipment for our military around the corner.... Gotta love it!!!

Here is the first one

Caliber: 5.56x45 mm NATO
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length: 838 mm in basic configuration, butt extended
Barrel length: 318 mm in basic configuration; also 229 mm in Compact and 508 mm in Sharpshooter and SAW versions
Weight: 2.659 kg empty in basic configuration
Rate of fire: ~ 750 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds (STANAG) or 100-rounds double drum in Automatic Rifle/SAW role

The development of the XM8 Lightweight Assault Rifle was initiated by US Army in the 2002, when contract was issued to the Alliant Techsystems Co of USA to study possibilities of development of kinetic energy part of the XM29 OICW weapon into separate lightweight assault rifle, which could, in the case of success, replace the aging M16A2 rifles and M4A1 carbines in US military service. XM8 is being developed by the Heckler-Koch USA, a subsidiary of famous German Heckler-Koch company. According to the present plans, the XM8 should enter full production circa 2005, if not earlier, several years before the XM29 OICW. The XM8 (M8 after its official adoption) should become a standard next generation US forces assault rifle. It will fire all standard 5.56mm NATO ammunition, and, to further decrease the load on the future infantrymen, a new type of 5.56mm ammunition is now being developed. This new ammunition will have composite cases, with brass bases and polymer walls, which will reduce weight of the complete ammunition, while maintaining compatibility with all 5.56mm NATO weapons. Along with 20% weight reduction in the XM8 (compared to the current issue M4A1 carbine), this will be a welcome move for any infantryman, already overloaded by protective, communications and other battle equipment.

The XM8 will be almost similar to the "KE" (kinetic energy) part of the XM29 OICW system, being different mostly in having a telescoped plastic buttstock of adjustable length, and a detachable carrying handle with the sight rail.

As of November, 2003, first 30 prototypes of XM8 were delivered to US Army for initial testing, with further 100+ prototypes scheduled to enter tests early in 2004.

Technical description.
The XM8 is a derivative of the Heckler-Koch G36 assault rifle, and thus it is almost similar to that rifle in design and functioning. XM8 features a short piston stroke, gas operated action, with rotating bolt locking. Barrels are quick detachable, and planned to be available in several sizes, ranging from 229 mm (9.5 inch) for Compact/PDW version, 318mm (12.5 inch) in Basic version, and two 508mm (20in) barrels, one for Sharpshooter/Sniper version, and heavier one (along with bipod) for Squad Automatic Rifle role. The entire construction is modular and built around the polymer receiver with bolt group; Magazine housings could be easily swapped for compatibility with various types of magazines; various buttstocks could be installed in a second for various roles (standard buttstock is a telescoped 5 position adjustable one). Top of the receiver is fitted with proprietary sight rail, which can accept illuminated red-dot (collimator) sight, or any other type of sighting equipment. Detachable forend will be available in various sizes, and could be replaced with XM320 40mm grenade launcher (the improved HK AG36).

Ambidextrous fire controls are mounted on the trigger unit, integral with pistol grip and triggerguard, and in basic configuration are planned to deliver single shots and full auto fire. The G36-type ambidextrous charging handle is located at the top of the receiver, below the removable carrying handle.

XM8 variants, from top: XM8 with XM320 40mm grenade launcher; XM8 Compact / PDW; XM8 Sharpshooter; XM8 Squad Automatic (drawing from H-K USA booklet)

xm8_2.jpg

Here are personal cooling systems. HEY!! we could use these when we wear our leathers in summer!!

Advanced Lightweight Microclimate Cooling System (ALMCS)
Overview:
The Advanced Lightweight Microclimate Cooling System (ALMCS) is a very lightweight, state-of-the-art, man-portable microclimate cooling system designed to provide personal cooling to personnel wearing insulative protective clothing in high heat stress environments.
Description:
The ALMCS is an electrically driven vapor cycle cooler that circulates a chilled fluid through a heat transfer garment, lined with a network of tubing. Metabolic heat from the wearer is transferred to the fluid, which is pumped to the ALMCS where the heat is rejected. The coolant fluid is re-chilled and re-circulated back to the heat transfer garment. The ALMCS operates on two BA-5590 lithium sulfur dioxide (LiSO2) batteries, although a third battery may be added for enhanced performance.
Specifications:
Cooling Capacity/Rate (two BA-5590 LiSO2 batteries): 700 watt-hours/230 watts in a 95°F ambient

Comfortable cooling delivery temperature: 65-70°F

Three hour duration on two BA-5590 LiSO2 batteries

Weight: 11 pounds (with two batteries)

Volume: 0.25 ft3 (6½"x 41/8" x 16¼")

Energy Efficient: 4 Amps (two batteries)/6 Amps (three batteries) at 24 Volts DC

Refrigerant: HFC, R-134A (non-ozone depleting)

The ALMCS is a microclimate cooling research prototype that represents a breakthrough in the development of personal coolers. Significant weight and volume reductions over previous state-of-the-art systems were achieved through the development of a miniature rolling piston compressor and innovative packaging designs. The ALMCS is ready to transition to engineering development

almcs.jpg

Here is some body armor that weighs less than did Vietnam era jackets and provides more protection, inluding protection for the sides of the body

USMC Interceptor Multi-Threat Body Armor System Outer Tactical Vest (OTV)
Overview:
The USMC INTERCEPTOR Multi-threat Body Armor System consists of a base vest -the Outer Tactical Vest (OTV) and Small Arms Protective Inserts (SAPIs) that provide additional protection from rifle-fired threats. The OTV provides fragmentation and 9mm bullet protection and replaces the Personal Armor System - Ground Troops (PASGT) vest currently fielded. OTV is available in five sizes, XS through XL, with the same sizing system used for the SAPI plates.
Description:
The OTV is a modular soft armor system; its protection can be tailored to a particular mission threat by adding or removing subcomponents. The OTV base vest weighs less than 6.5-lbs. It provides the wearer with improved fragmentation protection plus 9mm bullet protection at a weight savings of about 18% over the PASGT vest it replaces. A removable collar, throat protector, and/or groin protector may be affixed to the vest to increase its area of protection and casualty reduction potential. The exterior of the vest is covered with MOLLE-compatible webbing hangars that accommodate load carriage using a variety of standard pouches and pockets. The vest is also designed to be compatible with the FLC, ALICE, MOLLE and ILBE load carriage systems. Currently produced in solid shade Coyote brown only, a single OTV may be worn with the Corps’ MARPAT camouflage in both desert and woodland environments.
Pockets integrated into the front and rear of the vest securely hold one or two SAPI plates to provide additional protection for vital organs. When SAPI plates are not worn, the front SAPI pocket retracts into the shell for reduced overlap and passive cooling. The rear pocket is fitted with a hole, which permits it to be used for carrying an on-the-move hydration system bladder within the vest. The OTV shell and ballistics are separate sub-components, permitting replacement for repair or upgrade without obsolescing the entire system.

The INTERCEPTOR System has been in production since 1999 under a five-year contract awarded by Natick contracting to Point Blank Body Armor of Oakland Park, FL. In FY04, DSCP will competitively award a new contract for completion of acquisition objective and on-going sustainment.

USMC_InterceptorOTV.jpg

Ya know, I always thought that paintball guns should be legal if yer on a bike. I mean, we could just look out for all the cagers with the bright splotches on em.
cool.gif

ummm, the IBA(interceptor body armor) isnt really all its cracked out to be. yes it has saved lives so it is worth having, but we took one out and shot it up. the results, not pretty. every thing the military gives a soldier for protection is just a false sense of security, like the kevlar helmet, worthless, tested that one out too. when you think you are bullet-proof you will perform much better under dangerous circumstances, you THINK you are safe. just my 2 cents
biggrin.gif

Ron,
 You have got to ride more.....
Russ -

I'm tryin lol

Actually I just got back from Santa Cruz about 30 minutes ago. Left Friday, stayed with my cousin and came back today.

I got some good pictures but more importantly, I think my second gen video mount on my bike worked perfect. I am transferring my ride to my computer right now.

You are going to Laguna Seca right?

Hey CAP!! if you read this, do you have a way I can store a video on your server so people can download it / watch it? if not, what do people normally do? I want to post my videos of my ride this weekend.

Back