gun suggestions

I'm a huge fan of the 10mm, still carry a Glock 20 for a duty weapon. I will say it isn't for everyone but will also say if you can handle it and want high capacity (15+1) and power it may be the ticket for you. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask or drop me a pm. Even a 9mm is a fine choice if loaded with the right ammo so get a caliber you are comfortable with.

If you are looking for a gun for defense don't worry yourself about whether or not it will shoot a tight little group from the bench. In a self defense situation you want something that is simple to operate and is reliable. Accuracy is still important but if you can hit an 11x14 piece of paper consistently with it at 25 yards it is more than accurate enough for self defense. If you don't believe me take that 11x14 target and put it on your upper torso.

I would also recommend staying with a good brand name. Glock, Sig, H&K, etc. Find what fits you and your hands, something you are comfortable with as what is comfortable for me may not be for you. I would also recommend something with a light rail and put a good light on it, surefire, streamlight etc. The surefire LED weapon lights are great as the beam is directed and back lighting is minimal, not to mention they are bright.

I think out of everything I've read, CTA summed it up best with the two comments above. You have to get a gun in a caliber you are comfortable shooting and then spend time shooting the gun. In a stressful situation, familiarity is going t be your friend.

Gun manufacturer debates are like car or motorcycle manufacturer debates (and we all know the answer here). As long as you stay with a good brand, you should be fine.

Last edited:
I agree a gun regardless of manafacture is only as good as the person who shoots it. A fewe years ago I finaly transtioned from 1911s to my first plastic gun, XD9 SC Hated at first almost sold it the 3rd week I had it. Now 500 + rounds later I love it and consider it part of my wardrobe, I am not dressed with out it.

A handgun is an individual thing. What feels good to some will not with others.
I always prefer to stay with the major manufactures. I have owns S&Ws, glocks, Berretta, Sigs, and have shot most of what is out there. The Sigs have always been my favorite (except the sigpro)

Things to consider.

What fits your hand? some smaller hands will have trouble working the controls on double stack magazines.

Gun size. I recommend a full size gun for most people instead of the compact version. A 226 sig vs a 228/229 A glock 17 vs 19 or 26 glock 22 vs 23/27. S&W M&P standard vs the C model etc. The full size gun will have a longer sight radius . Some compacts have a shorter grip making them more difficult to control. The larger gun will also be a bit heavier and absorb recoil better. The ultra small guns are popular as being easier to conceal, but there are the above drawbacks. Also a Sig 226 or Glock 17 will conceal just as easy with a quality holster as the 228 or 19.

Trigger you will find four basic types.

Double action only: Like shooting your revolver without touching the hammer. The trigger pull is long and cocks the hammer as part of the process with each shot.

Single action only: The hammer is fully cocked when the slide is operated. The hammer must be cocked before it is fired but will be cocked on the subsequent rounds. Most carry them cocked with a safety on “cocked and locked†The trigger pull will be much lighter

SA/DA: First shot is Double action, subsequent shots the hammer is cocked so it is single action.

Half ****: Made popular by glock. When the slide is operated, the round is chambered. The (internal) hammer is cocked half way. When pulling the trigger, you are cocking the rest of the way like you would a double action only, but it has a much shorter trigger pull. About ½ of what a SA and DA have. S&W M&P , Sig 250 and I think a Springfield XD all fall into this category. I really recommend this for most, although I prefer the SA/DA myself. (There is a training time issue with the SA/DA)

Controls, Some have safeties , decockers, mag release safeties and it will depend on the actions. I’m a more is not always better guy, and prefer not having an external safety.

Caliber 9mm is a very good round but only if a high quality ammo is used. Gold Dot 124 has been proven. (Macho guys will tell you it is junk, but they are full of it) I prefer .40 over .45. If you are restricted to round ball ammo, a 45 would be my choice. The 9mm will be easier to master for most shooters. If you go with 10mm or even 40, you need to spend more time practicing and training. The average person asking “what kind of gun should I buy†will fire 50 rounds or less a year…. Usually less. Practice ammo cost can be a big difference.. I can buy 50 round CCI Blazer Brass for $9 The same in .40 will run $13. I went to a class and shot 250 rounds Sunday with my .40. I could have shot 350 rounds for the same price with my 9. Price some 10mm ammo

Mag capacity. You are in a 10 round limit state. If you have small hands and plan on staying there the rest of your life you may want to consider a single stack magazine gun. The grip will be smaller. Sig 225 and 238 come to mind. But if you move you can always obtain double stack magazines latter. The 226 sig .40 is not that much of a change 10 round vs 12 round in their double stack. But 10 vs 15 with a 9mm.

If you buy a better quality gun, it will not matter too much shoot it, get used to it. If you don’t like it, it will retain quite a bit of it’s value. You’ll loose heavily on holsters however.

If you want home protection get a 12 ga.

Beretta3901TargetRL.jpg

P

Right cartridge, but too long!

Here is mine.

870.jpg

Considering you mentioned (most commonly) hand gun calibers. Go with the .45 caliber. If you shoot alot the ammo is plentiful from military surplus and over a period of time can be considerably cheaper. I have a 9 mm. It is an OK weapon but I prefer the revolvers. I really like my Uberti .45 LC and my .44 mag Ruger Redhawk (although the Ruger does kick like a mule).

many very good points professor. There's much more to choosing a gun and much more to consider than just finding something that looks cool. You also make some great points on the price of ammo. Yes I pay dearly for quality 10mm ammo loaded to what a 10mm should be, right now I have one small company that I am able to get it from and it runs me about $35 for 50 rounds. The commercial companies have loaded it down and if you carry that you might as well just be carrying a 40 S&W.

I also agree simpler is better, especially when carry concealed. Hammers, decocking levers, safety levers, they all have potential to hang up on clothing. They are also one more thing you must train yourself to overcome. If you have to think about how to use the gun with no stress chances are you will not be able to operate it at all when confronted with the stress of having to fight for your life.

As for a SA/DA trigger, I hate them. I went through the academy with a S&W 5906. I was able to adapt to the training issues with them however I have also had to train people with the 5906. Get someone who hasn't been around guns or shot many guns and try to teach them how to properly shoot such an animal is a real headache for an instructor. I've seen plenty struggle with the SA/DA trigger and not even be able to pass a qualification round with them. Many of those you can then give them a glock or a springfield xd and they immediately improve 10 fold in a matter of minutes.

As for the 124 grain gold dot in 9mm+p. You are right on. I was never a fan of the 9mm until I had the opportunity to test this round. And by test I'm referring to FBI protocol using ballistic gel and really taking a critical look at the performance then measuring and weighing the bullet. It was actually one of the few rounds that would penetrate both steel plates per the test, something a 45 +p would not even do. It even held up well after passing through auto glass, maintained trajectory and held together. It makes the 9mm what it should be. I liked the test results so much I went out and bought a glock 17 and do carry it as an off duty more than any other weapon that I own.

I have a Ruger P-89 9mm. Great gun, wonderful balance & very easy to shoot. Wife's favorite at the range too.

Plus one. Can't say enough good about it. We never have trouble with ours. Also, the Beretta 92FS is outsanding if you care for the look of a gun!

Recommend you get the .40 rather than the 10mm. Ammo is more readily available and costs less.

The Sig P220 is a great .45.

Have fun!

--Wag--

Last edited:
You don't think 'we' have Hi Caps or AR's :whistle:

Rich,

What are the gun rules... Is Cali one that allows pre ban ARs?

I'm actually thinking about selling one of my 80s vintage Colt ARs because of the the prices they are bringing to the states that restrict based on that. I'm seeing them selling for a $500-700 premium over what they bring here.

Alright , I like the Glocks, very reliable and the simplest weapon in the world to use. My M4 isn't bad for the home either. :whistle:

Rich,

What are the gun rules... Is Cali one that allows pre ban ARs?

I'm actually thinking about selling one of my 80s vintage Colt ARs because of the the prices they are bringing to the states that restrict based on that. I'm seeing them selling for a $500-700 premium over what they bring here.

I'm really not up on the current laws...I do know that we can't buy them anymore. I have a AR and hi cap clips for all my semi autos...pistols and rifles, but I've had them since before the more strict laws took effect.

I like the full size glock 21, which was my first handgun! Love that ugly thing. I also have an xd45 too. I am also a fan of wheel guns. Love how sweet they shoot on Single action. I have an old 5 screw S&W .38 special, a stubby .357 Rossi, and a 1955 Hi standard .22 target master. I also have a mini 14 too.

Since we are talking a bout guns here..... I am looking at buying an AR15. Any thing you would recommend, Brand model number, etc!!!!!

Back