So, while debating about a gun

i carry the glock 23. to me it is the perfect size. the 22 is to large the 27 to small. i also have an hk. very well made firearm super accurate but it has jammed twice. never had this problem with the glocks. whatever you get. practice practice practice.
guns.gif

The best advice I can give out is to try and shoot each one of the ones you are interested in. I'm a Pro Gunsmith, have been building fine custom firearms for many years. I have my preferences but I don't push them on others. I personally carry a STI 9mm 1911 Govt Model. IT is a 1 holer at 10 yards easy..;) Buy something you will carry and not leave at home.

Caliber means nothing in a real SD situation, its all about Shot placement.
absolutely,great advice
thumb_up.gif
...it's all about shot placement.

The best advice I can give out is to try and shoot each one of the ones you are interested in. I'm a Pro Gunsmith, have been building fine custom firearms for many years. I have my preferences but I don't push them on others. I personally carry a STI 9mm 1911 Govt Model. IT is a 1 holer at 10 yards easy..;) Buy something you will carry and not leave at home.

Thanks bud! Let me know if you ever hear anything bad (or good) on the SR9. I'll have to look into the STI 1911.

Thanks bud! Let me know if you ever hear anything bad (or good) on the SR9. I'll have to look into the STI 1911.
I've heard that the STI's are good myself. Guy at my gunstore said they're probably BETTER than Kimber.

STI is American made, and Kimber's got a lot of foreign parts. But, most of us here ride "foreign" bikes..."notice the trend?"
laugh.gif

That there pea shooter looks like a Kahr. Id have a kahr p9 if I were a CC guy. Shooting is a perishable skill. How do you shoot at Carnegie Hall?
smile.gif

Ruger is not all that great IMO

.357 is a horrible choice for cc or even a house gun... doubt any gun shop would suggest one

Springfield makes some of the best "mass" produced firearms around today..(certainly a nicer 1911 than Colt makes today)

I would spend some time at a shop with a range, get some suggestions and fire a lot of rounds to see what you feel comfortable with.. (I like a .45 myself)

Ruger is not all that great IMO

.357 is a horrible choice for cc or even a house gun...  doubt any gun shop would suggest one

Springfield makes some of the best "mass" produced firearms around today..(certainly a nicer 1911 than Colt makes today)

I would spend some time at a shop with a range, get some suggestions and fire a lot of rounds to see what you feel comfortable with..  (I like a .45 myself)
ThumbsUp.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
I've heard that the STI's are good myself[/quote] I think they are making some of the best competition match pistols around.. They certainly not cheap.. but you get what you pay for
smile.gif

I got to shoot a $4500 STI match pistol (.380 super) that was not much different feeling than firing a really loud air pistol
smile.gif
It was a full works STI gun that my roomie at the time used for competition... Go watch the IPSC guys shoot, it is amazing...

smile.gif

I personally see nothing wrong with looking down a barrel after making sure it isn't loaded. I do it with every firearm I'm thinking of purchasing to see if the barrel is clean or has any scratches or pits in it. An unloaded gun cannot hurt you no matter how hard to try...less you use it like a bat.

As for a carry piece, I'll never carry anything that is 9mm or smaller. The round is simply too weak for my likes. It was designed for low recoil and high magazine capacity, then afterwards they realized it had no stopping power and tried to correct it with the +p 9mm. No good in my mind. I still go with the 40cal. You don't have the recoil of the .45 for better shot placement, the likiness of the bullet overpenetrating the target isn't there, and you have excelent one-shot stopping power.

Ben, my .02...

First-the gun must FIT properly.

Second-the caliber question.  Bigger IS better.  Can't beat the old "flying ashtray" (i.e. .45ACP)

Lastly-Company reputation.  Well Ruger is a fairly good company to deal with.  Lifetime warranty, good customer service, etc.  They have had their klunkers though, the p85, p90 are good examples.  

However, You should really look at Glock, Sig, HK, and springfield before making your decision.  Rugers are great, but when your talking about defending your LIFE, going "budget" may not be the best choice.

Personally, I'm really liking the new HK.  Just under a grand though.  

Good luck,

Chris
Well, here's my thing on caliber... Lets say I get in a situation with someone that I have to use the gun... A .45 would be good if I use one shot, but if I HAVE to shoot, chances are more than one shot is coming out of the barrel into them. If 3 9mm rounds don't stop someone, why would 1 .45? Granted, I love a .45, as a matter of fact I love the 1911, but I don't see how it's difference in stopping power is that much greater.

My main thing with searching for a CC gun is
1: concealable... The SR9 is slim enough my big arse could conceal it
2: reliable... Everything I've read on reviews of the SR9 it's reliable. 12,000 rounds through it in the Guns and Ammo test, no cleaning, still shot accurately and reliably.

I will however, wait on the SR9 till I can find a good long term decision from people. Does the Mag safety cause problems, if it jams, what caused it, etc... Maybe a Berretta is in my future.
biggrin.gif
The problem is that when you get in a situation where you have to shoot somebody, they are going to be attacking you. In this situation they are not going to be standing straight with their arms to their side like a paper target, their arms are going to be infront of them between your gun and their center mass. Hence the odds are that the bullet will have to travel through an arm before hitting the torso. In this situation the 9mm has lost a massive portion of it's power that it just dumped into the target's arm. A 40 and 45 will merely smash through the arm and into the Torso with no problem. As far as recoil goes, you are correct with the .45 being the lesser choice for such. It can really go either way....most people will actually only shoot once so in this scenario the bigger is better. My training though was you shoot until they fall down, then you reasses the threat.

The only things you should really look at for a CC piece is comfort of the gun in your hand and size. If you stick with the major brands you simply won't go wrong, my personal choice is Glock though that is because I trained with a Glock.

I've great luck with Ruger handguns but you should check out the Glocks.

guns.gif
Which ones did you use?
rock.gif

I think the P90 sucked, but that MY opinion too i guess.

My mom's S&W .359 rocks! Its just perfect for carrying around, but its kinda heavy.

I STILL want that XD45 though...
drools.gif
or a Kimber "Tactical II..."
drools.gif
I've shot both a XD-40 and a Ruger P89. I like both guns. They're both damn reliable in my experience. Also, both are damn accurate. Never shot a P90, but the P89 was good for me. I like em both, but the SR9 is drawing me in the more I read on it.
I have a p89 Limited and love it. I have been happy with the Rugers I have owned. Great guns.

drools.gif

Have you looked at the Springfield XD45? I looked at that one and its probably the one i'll be getting when i get a pistol. It looks, feels, "and as i hear, shoots GREAT!"

It's lightweight, supposedly VERY accurate, and shoots the thumper (.45). Can't go wrong with that! Hehe.

Anyway, the SR9 is pretty hot lookin, but i've got a bad taste in my mouth for Ruger pistols. I shot a friend's P90 and it was a piece of SH!T!!!!
I have an XD 40 compact (4 inch), Xd 40 Sub Compact (my CC gun), and an XD45 Compact.

So in response to your post

Yes...

You are Right....

And Absolutely correct.....

ohsnap1.gif
woot.gif
easybutton.png

Back