What did you do to get your Hayabusa ?

I had two bikes I'd had for a couple of years, a 2006 KTM 950SM,
1545886771084.png

and a 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
1545886879574.png

and I just knew the 950 had to go . . .
I'd had it 3 years and the mileage was creeping up, not a good thing on a KTM V-Twin lol.
I advertised it for sale at $9500 (I paid $13K for it) and it took 5 months to sell.
I then had $9500 burning a hole in my pocket.
Soooooo . . . one day I was scanning Trademe bikes for sale and saw the '99 Busa for sale. I made enquiries and the rest is history!
$7000 plus $490 freight from the North Island, so yeah, I basically bought it on a whim.
Didn't ride it much for the first year I had it. I was still right into the adventure thing, off roading and exploring the back country.
Then I sold the KTM and used the money to buy a decent car and build a patio on my house.
xAt that point I started riding the Busa and rejuvenating the chassis with new bearings and forks etc, new Akropovic and bodywork, the list is long.

Good times!

Last edited:
CBX have any photos of the day ? sounds like a great ride on the new bird .

I found a few, setting it up at the dealer in my baggy cold weather pants, my older brother on it at the dealer and my stop somewhere in Malibu on the coast road on the way home. I was so into the ride and having ridden the coast hiway many times before I only stopped for gas and didn't take any more pics until I went on my first tour a few months later.
IMG012 (Medium).JPG

IMG015 (Medium).JPG

1st stop somewhere in Malibu (Medium).JPG

06 TOUR-1 (Medium).jpg

2011 NW TOUR 047 (Medium).jpg

2011 NW TOUR 087 (Medium).jpg

In 2004 I sold EVERYTHING I owned in the UK, house, furniture, car, bikes etc at the age of 40 and moved to Australia with just what I could fit in 2 suitcases.

Having only been in AU for a few days, I had no home (I was staying at a friend of a friends place), no car, no Australian driving licence, no tax file number, no medicare cover... nothing!

So I found the local Suzuki main dealer and bought a brand new Hayabusa, and asked them to polish the rims, and fit a dark double bubble screen, Yoshi Tri-oval cans, a tank pad, paddock stand bobbins etc straight out of the crate.

A mans got to have priority’s.

In 2004 I sold EVERYTHING I owned in the UK, house, furniture, car, bikes etc at the age of 40 and moved to Australia with just what I could fit in 2 suitcases.

Having only been in AU for a few days, I had no home (I was staying at a friend of a friends place), no car, no Australian driving licence, no tax file number, no medicare cover... nothing!

So I found the local Suzuki main dealer and bought a brand new Hayabusa, and asked them to polish the rims, and fit a dark double bubble screen, Yoshi Tri-oval cans, a tank pad, paddock stand bobbins etc straight out of the crate.

A mans got to have priority’s.
So how are you liking Australia Tony? Have been across the ditch to NZ yet?
If you wanna come ride some of the best roads in the world, let me know, I can show you around!

Reactions: c10
I had told a mate I was thinking of selling my last complete oil cooled Gixxer and massive parts stockpile , and as he already owns another older example of my bike builds , he jumped at the chance .
It was a lump of cash , but I continued saving while looking Australia wide , and bought the L2 in my home state within a month or two . Found it pretty uncomfortable because of hip , even compared to old oil burner !!
Anyway , the best power spread motor I've ever ridden , and handles well and with my lower mounted rearsets , the comfort is quite good .
Like it so much , going to build a second one .

I gained close to 60LBS and my 2009 gsxr600 started feeling really slow. I never liked how buzzy and uncomfortable it was for me either, so I called the dealer I bought it from, because they were advertising a silver 2009 at a good price after sitting in their warehouse for 2 years (I bought it in 2011). I rode my 600 there and did all the paperwork and waited on them to go get it at their sister store’s warehouse. Driver gets there and calls the salesman, who comes to the waiting area to tell me that there was a mistake and the bike was actually white. I was already running late for my nightshift and was 1hr away from home, so I told them I would take it and to just give me some riding gear and discounts on some things I wanted and we wrapped it up. The bike had a cracked front fender, but they said, just take it and we’ll order it and let you know when the new one arrives, so you can come back. I jumped on it and said, screw the break in procedure, I need to get home....... I gunned it on the highway and she stole my heart right there. Lol! I will never forget the rush I felt on that ride home and seeing people looking at it and taking pictures of it while I was stopped at a light.
4473E3F4-18DA-497F-9CC1-99E6A4877956.jpeg

Last edited:
Took a plane to Baltimore, train to DC with only a backpack and my helmet, bought Tango and rode him home to southwest Missouri. I have a picture somewhere of the bike inside the motel room in Youngstown, Ohio.
It rained most of the way home and thanks to rain gear and the wonder of the bike, it never bothered me a bit. It's been a love affair ever since :)

Not much really. As I might have mentioned, it was down to the wire, only needing a signature on a gen 2. The numbers changed, it was a rebate deal but the final price was contingent on financing it their way. But that bit of information came out toward the end after all was said and done. It was winter, it started snowing, I got cold feet then I realized I didn't want to buy a new bike that I couldn't really ride for 3 months until spring. And with hints in the last year(s) of the a gen3 there's no rush atm to not play it by ear.

After a massive crash on my Bandit (not my fault) that got me a pectoral muscle nearly ripped in half, broken shoulder, and a lot of cuts and bruises I got a good insurance payout. Bought a 2nd Bandit and did everything you can do to a bandit. Once the Bandit was maxed out mod wise started getting bored. I went to the dealer to look around and the salesman said I got something in the back to show you. It was a silver 09. We walked back into the showroom and he said that's an awesome bike Huh? It looked like a scene out of a Marvel Comic book where the superhero emerges from the darkness for the first time. I said yeah I'll take it and wrote him a check for it. That was the beginning of many excellent adventures!

Bike II.jpg

Battle Scars.jpg

Bandit low.jpg

Buas at Munden Point.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Yen & Yang.jpg

busa K16 small.jpg

Back