What did you do to your other motorcycle today ?

It's been a hot minute since I pulled a carb off of a 450 motocross bike. This is actually my Dad's bike, 07 Ricky Carmichael edition (just fancy Makita stickers and gold rims really). It's been sitting for a few years and won't start. My Dad will be 88 years old in a couple of months and said "get it running". I'm not going to argue and tell him he is to old to ride this bike. The amount of stupid things I did over the years and all the bikes and cars he "got running" for me, well I'm just going to get it running again....LOL I'll probably spin a few laps on it, etc..
20231206_170430.jpg

Put the cam cover back on last night. Need to pick up some oil and intake gaskets to start the assembly. Have to soak lifters in a vacuum jar and pull out all the air, take exhaust to shop to have cap made to block off secondary pipe. Maybe by the end of this weekend I can start it up.

Sixpack hinted at wanting to see pics. I can put up my latest little bit of progress.

The Wing has little nooks and crannies inside the saddlebags and trunk. If you think Tetris thoughts you can find little ways to fill in a "dead" zone of these, that doesn't affect the useable box storage. When I bought her the owner gave me everything he had with the bike. No particular organization.

So the 1st thing was seeing what's on the market. I bought these organizers that mount in the lids/doors. The lids/doors have a curved inner shell. These allow you to put them to some use.

So here is what that looks like installed and getting sorted with it's new tenants.

This is the trunk lid. The idea is keep the weight low and the light high. So this has all the cables for electronics drones, cameras, etc. It also has all the documents related to bike. It's not even close to 1/3 full.

1000000595.jpg

Next I'll show the charging ports and the media storage.

The charge ports are all fast charge high Amp ports wired straight to power buss with its own inverter.

The idea is the bike charges all day so anything you want to use will be charged. For instance I have a Drone. With 4 batteries. Each battery is about 30ish minutes use. The have a smart charger. I can plug into this and a single port will charge all 4 batteries at once. But it takes about 2 hours. So I wanted that to be chargeable as I'm driving. I can fast charge my phone on this in less than an hour.

1000000596.jpg

On the other side is the Thumb Drive for Music. This can hold 700 songs. I haven't even begun to load this with music yet. But it is plugged in so I know it all works.

1000000597.jpg

Next is saddlebags. Again there are organizers to buy. So that was first. Now you start to add tools and other heavier things. Essentially a tool box. I have most of the tools that came with the bike in these. Now it's somewhat organized and takes up no main storage.

1000000594.jpg

1000000591.jpg

Everything else is now Tetris mode. Had this bike had a factory Amp it would reside here. Now there is a First Aid Kit. With 4 pair of gloves.

1000000590.jpg

Next I mounted a full set of sockets. This is the only thing I added for tools. And this allowed me to eliminate a bag full of box ends the PO used. The ratchet handle is to the left. Along with a ratcheting screwdriver with all the bits in its handle. I did this by simply mounting a Velcro sheet to the shell and cutting little pieces that stick onto the tool parts. They will never go anywhere and I like it because it's easy to see and find and it again takes up none of the planned large storage. The handles fit into a nice recess that you can just make out.

1000000593.jpg

None of these take away any of the main storage. And I have all of the tools that came with the bike in a home that is easy to find and will not be competing with clothes, drones, gear, etc.

I still have tons of little storage spots that I haven't gotten filled yet. But as it sits now the main things I wanted were to charge on the road. I can charge everything I have with jacks to spare. I have added charge ports all over the bike besides these in the trunk.

And my tools all have a home and can address about any "road repair" I can think of. And take up no space.

There is some Zen value in doing all of this. Each little mod makes room in your head for the next thing you make better. When it comes time to plan the trip, you need a ton of space for clothes etc. I haven't even packed a trip simulation yet.

1000000596.jpg

1000000594.jpg

1000000590.jpg

Sssshhhhhh...my box still has the flapper! :laugh:

There are plugs(?) on the two center throttle bodies in all the pics/manual images for the vacuum lines...I don't have those apparently. Does it matter and if so, what are my options?

What year Gen1 is that, 2002-2007?

Yep, 2003.
I also just realized I'm blind and put this in the "other" motorcycle thread :withstupid:

I 'think', from memory(sketchy, lol) that the vacuum connections that you are seeing in the manual are for the '99-'00, and '01 model years, as what you have looks normal for 02-07.

Back