What would you do?

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
My neighbor at work had a 01 busa which is what got me interested in the bike. It had an mcx turbo and all, sold it cause he was afraid he was going to blow it up, couldn't stay off the throttle and was running all stock inners on about 330 HP. Anyways, been dreaming of the Busa since the first time I saw his. To make a long story short, bought my Busa in April, let him take it for a spin, and after being off his for almost 2 years, forgot how much he missed it. 2 weeks later he pulls in with the Purple/Black 04. Now of coarse stock's not enough, so after the break in it goes to Dennis (themotorhead), carrillo rods, mitsubishi turbo, innercooloer, 14 psi boost......it was done up right, almost $10,000.

So he gets the bike back this weekend and rides it in to work today. Shows me the dyno...............357 rwhp, 251 torque.

The problem is he handed me the keys. As much as every bone in my body wants to feel what 357 horsepower feels like, that number also scares the hell out of me. The speed junkie in me says enjoy the thrill, the common sense says that may be to much for me. It's like strapping a stock Busa to each foot and still having power left.

Anyways, sad to say, I made up some excuse and said I couldn't leave the office today and gave him the keys back.

It was painful, but..............................

What would you have done?

I would have done the same as you. My reason for turning down the ride would have been the liability aspect. I wouldn't want to have to replace everything if things got out of hand.

But, on the flip side, when a week passed, I would have been kicking myself for turning it down.

If you get the chance again, ride it!! Just be ubber responsible and don't get too heavy into the rpms. What's what I'd do (not that I thought about it).
tounge.gif

Same thing you would have done...maybe.

I would also be careful with it...probably wouldn't go above 35mph. Yeah, yeah, call me a wuss, but I'd rather take 10K and use it on me instead of repairing someone's bike.

busabrother
Hayabusa Master

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:5.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My rule of thumb is if i cant pay for or replace, i don't need to rie it!!
[/QUOTE]

Pimpn aint easy !
cool.gif

I think I'd have done the same thing! Actually I KNOW I would have!

My husband has a busa, and while I've been riding my bike for 2 years now- a 500CC interceptor is compared to a stock busa- not even close to what your comparing!....I am a good enough rider to take his busa, dont get me wrong, however there's always that "what if" in the back of my mind.

Yes his bike has full insurance on it, and yes, he'd still be here if I dumped it, but I'd rather not be the first to put a scratch on the bike!....

I'll wait till next spring, and get myself a busa, then we'll both have em, and I wont have to worry bout scratchin his.

On a side note- his brothers ride, and neither of them will take his busa out. Same rule of thumb I think...what if it gets away from ya, or someone pulls out in front of ya etc.. they dont want to replace his bike.

Brandy

I would have ridden it!

You don't have to get all crazy, just take it easy and see what it's like!

You can't use all that power on the street anyways.....what's the big deal?

Just like a regular BUSA, ride smart and be cool no need to impress anyone!
wink.gif

Josh
blues.gif

You did the right thing...That's a hell of a lot of HP and you can easily lose it just whacking the throttle...
evil.gif

I would have rode it just to experience it, but NO WAY would I have tapped into all that power. I would have done some easy roll ons in higher gears just to get to feel the turbo start to spool, but nothin' crazy.

That's a tough one. I probably would have gone for a nice EASY ride, nothing extreme, just to feel when the turbo kicks in.

Come on, how many times is a person going to ride a bike with 350HP?!?! Sorry, I'm riding it.

No way would I ride it...if it's not mine, or if I can't hand over the $$$ to replace what I might mess up, it's not worth it...

blush.gif

i would of had to try it as well...jsut get on it a little in 4th and 5th...listen to the sweet sound of a turbo spooling and then feel the boost kick in...shift slow and calm...then roll the throttle again...

Then drop to 65 and cruise it nice and easy back to its owner....like when a fisherman catches the big one, and then throws it back for another fisherman to exp. Dont pass it up agian.

Tough one. Would have loved to ride it, but would have been afraid of the consequences if something happened.

I've enjoyed reading all the responses. I assume the opportunity will be there again if I ever ask, but I just can't even begin to imagine 357 horses and 14 psi boost kicking in. The dyno sheet was wicked, it went straight to the top almost imediately and dropped very little after about 9000, it looked like a dang mountain that peaked and just platued instead of valleying at the end.

Though nobody asked, the swingarm is still stock length, his last bike was 4 inches and he missed the rideability the bike has now, so he concidering leaving it stock length. All the more reason those numbers are scary.

This is a no-win situation. Just think how you would feel if you crashed his bike. Even if you didn't get hurt, you would feel ultra-guilty and be broke after repairing his ride.  Option two: you ride the thing easy and bring it back perfect, you haven't really sampled the power which was the main reason you rode it in the first place. Option three: you ride it balls-to-the-wall and still make it back in one piece, now you gotta go spend the ten grand you would have spent fixing his bike (if you crashed) on your own bike because you have been bitten by the more-power, more-speed bug.  Either way, I would have ridden it anyway, just be careful.  I took a test ride on a $33,000 Boss Hoss one time just to see how it was and it was one of the coolest rides I ever had (until I got my busa).....

Back