What did you do to your other motorcycle today ?

Oops ...
Ran wide, stayed on the bike but the day is over

IMG_9615.jpeg

This will be a multi part thing here as I'm still pondering out how to do it. I decided I want to modernize my 2005 Wing some. It did not come with navigation. Or a CD changer. I added a CD changer. Which I can use like a factory CD. And I've discovered Spotify.

So right now I use my phone for navigation and Spotify. Mounted on this.
1000000468.jpg

It works alright. But there a few clumsy steps it takes to get it into modes. And if I lose cell signal out in the boonies, I lose navigation. And I don't want to be taking my eyes off the road to fumble with it.

Plus I wanted TPMS. Which didn't exist on Goldwings at all in this era bike. The rear tire is a total PITA to check/inflate the tire. It's just buried by the bikes saddlebags etc. You have to rotate it around to the valve stem at 6 O Clock position. Then hands and knees to inflate if needed.

So I got to thinking. I have a Madstadt windscreen installed. And because of that I was left with this "dead space" over my dash now.

1000000471.jpg

It's totally out of the weather and wind, but has a path to look up from below thru the windscreen for acquiring satellites. *hint hint*

If you notice there are through brackets on either side the windscreen uses. So I'm sort of thinking, how to use those somehow.

That black curved lip is currently about a 2 inch overhang out from the bikes visor. And I have this much depth.
1000000470.jpg

So I did some shopping around and bought about 8 different things to finally settle on this as my preferred choice.
1000000473.png

I bench tested it and can lock in on satellites pretty good with it's upward pointing antenna.
This has all the modern Android Auto (Apple Carplay for the next owner) features, Satellite navigation for when I lose cell signal and access to all my media without ever having to even see or touch my phone. And TPMS.

And 2 cameras which I'm thinking will be used to point at my rear chassis to see where my rear tire valve stem is rotated to. I also envision pulling a pop up motorcycle camper. And having a camera point back to watch sure beats having to turn around to check on it. Haven't looked that far ahead yet.

First things first I need to figure out if I can use those brackets to add purpose to them to mount this to end up something close to the pic below.

That will be my next installment to this.

1000000472.jpg

1000000472.jpg

P.S. I have no idea why it forces the last pic to be here twice.

Get over it, I have better things to work out.

Last edited:
This will be a multi part thing here as I'm still pondering out how to do it. I decided I want to modernize my 2005 Wing some. It did not come with navigation. Or a CD changer. I added a CD changer. Which I can use like a factory CD. And I've discovered Spotify.

View attachment 1672708

It works alright. But there a few clumsy steps it takes to get it into modes. And if I lose cell signal out in the boonies, I lose navigation. And I don't want to be taking my eyes off the road to fumble with it.

Plus I wanted TPMS. Which didn't exist on Goldwings at all in this era bike. The rear tire is a total PITA to check/inflate the tire. It's just buried by the bikes saddlebags etc. You have to rotate it around to the valve stem at 6 O Clock position. Then hands and knees to inflate if needed.

So I got to thinking. I have a Madstadt windscreen installed. And because of that I was left with this "dead space" over my dash now.

View attachment 1672709
It's totally out of the weather and wind, but has a path to look up from below thru the windscreen for acquiring satellites. *hint hint*

If you notice there are through brackets on either side the windscreen uses. So I'm sort of thinking, how to use those somehow.

That black curved lip is currently about a 2 inch overhang out from the bikes visor. And I have this much depth.
View attachment 1672710

So I did some shopping around and bought about 8 different things to finally settle on this as my preferred choice.
View attachment 1672711

I bench tested it and can lock in on satellites pretty good with it's upward pointing antenna.
This has all the modern Android Auto (Apple Carplay for the next owner) features, Satellite navigation for when I lose cell signal and access to all my media without ever having to even see or touch my phone. And TPMS.

And 2 cameras which I'm thinking will be used to point at my rear chassis to see where my rear tire valve stem is rotated to. I also envision pulling a pop up motorcycle camper. And having a camera point back to watch sure beats having to turn around to check on it. Haven't looked that far ahead yet.

First things first I need to figure out if I can use those brackets to add purpose to them to mount this to end up something close to the pic below.

View attachment 1672715

View attachment 1672716

Looks like a lot of fun......

You'll have that thing "farkleized" before you know it.....

View attachment 1672708

View attachment 1672709

View attachment 1672710

View attachment 1672711

View attachment 1672715

View attachment 1672716

I'll try a little update at about here.

In order to fab anything up I had to start by removing the windscreen. No real way to make measurements and fit anything. Removal of 4 Allen screws to get to a measurement.

1000000474.jpg

1000000475.jpg

Simple enough

So I thought about building some sort of bracketry and a crossover bracket. But I shopped metal stock. That was crazy the cost. Then I'd have to have it welded by a shop. For the metal stock alone I was hitting $50

So I decided I was going to have to ghetto it. I knew my spacing needed was 5.00". And I didn't have much room past the mounting because it would hit the visor. I poked around and found these for .82 each. Some sort of roofing strap. But it was plenty heavy gauge and just the right length with a little finessing.

1000000476.jpg

So with some dremelling and grinding, I finessed it to this. One for each side.

1000000478.jpg

Measured and drilled and shaped it a bit.

1000000488.jpg

Then I sort of had a lightbulb moment. My phone is mounted on a Ram ball. So I pondered on that then took it apart to explore the Ball and arm length. Measured 27 more times and decided to try this.

1000000485.jpg

I had to build a standoff as the Ball had to be attached on the other side and the new bracket would not lay flat. I tried both ends at first but it didn't allow for the nut to have clearance on the lower mount. But one stand off worked fine.

1000000486.jpg

The arms come in standard lengths. S, M and L. All lengths are the same. My M arm that held the phone on is 3.5" end to end. S is too short. L is too long.

1000000484.jpg

1000000483.jpg

3.5" arm isn't centered like I want but it's close. Offset maybe 1.5". I'm currently shopping at various little extender options. So far nothing perfect. But Amazon is a big place. What I do like about doing it this way is I have display adjustments. A little up or down etc if there is any glare issues.

So in the meantime the bigger problem to solve is where and how to route the wires. They are all grouped out of a single connector left of center on the back. No way around further disassembly at this point. Nose piece, windshield frame, dash visor. I'll probably have to make a hole somewhere in the visor. I hate making mistakes there.

But I can't go forward without going backwards some at this point. And I still have no idea what the nose bowels of a Goldwing looks like. But for now I think I can see my way clear on how to mount it. I'll dry fit it probably a half dozen times before I paint it all black to match. And cut any holes for wiring harnesses.

Plenty of progress to show along the way if you guys are enjoying these type things.

Last edited:
Let the new RS have a Nap the other day . I was not planning tip over bars but with the close call in training a few weeks ago I put a set on . Made my own Cardan swing arm protection from some left over Delrin . Mutant tires , Lights remounted to HEED tip over bars , and some black Titanium ;)

View attachment 1672722

View attachment 1672723

View attachment 1672724

View attachment 1672725

View attachment 1672726

View attachment 1672727

View attachment 1672728

View attachment 1672729

View attachment 1672730

View attachment 1672731

View attachment 1672732

Would you recommend the Dunlops for a (sport / touring) Hayabusa?

I'll try a little update at about here.

In order to fab anything up I had to start by removing the windscreen. No real way to make measurements and fit anything. Removal of 4 Allen screws to get to a measurement.

View attachment 1672821

View attachment 1672822

Simple enough

So I thought about building some sort of bracketry and a crossover bracket. But I shopped metal stock. That was crazy the cost. Then I'd have to have it welded by a shop. For the metal stock alone I was hitting $50

So I decided I was going to have to ghetto it. I knew my spacing needed was 5.00". And I didn't have much room past the mounting because it would hit the visor. I poked around and found these for .82 each. Some sort of roofing strap. But it was plenty heavy gauge and just the right length with a little finessing.

View attachment 1672823

So with some dremelling and grinding, I finessed it to this. One for each side.

View attachment 1672824

Measured and drilled and shaped it a bit.

View attachment 1672825

Then I sort of had a lightbulb moment. My phone is mounted on a Ram ball. So I pondered on that then took it apart to explore the Ball and arm length. Measured 27 more times and decided to try this.

View attachment 1672826

I had to build a standoff as the Ball had to be attached on the other side and the new bracket would not lay flat. I tried both ends at first but it didn't allow for the nut to have clearance on the lower mount. But one stand off worked fine.

View attachment 1672827

The arms come in standard lengths. S, M and L. All lengths are the same. My M arm that held the phone on is 3.5" end to end. S is too short. L is too long.

View attachment 1672828

View attachment 1672829

3.5" arm isn't centered like I want but it's close. Offset maybe 1.5". I'm currently shopping at various little extender options. So far nothing perfect. But Amazon is a big place. What I do like about doing it this way is I have display adjustments. A little up or down etc if there is any glare issues.

So in the meantime the bigger problem to solve is where and how to route the wires. They are all grouped out of a single connector left of center on the back. No way around further disassembly at this point. Nose piece, windshield frame, dash visor. I'll probably have to make a hole somewhere in the visor. I hate making mistakes there.

But I can't go forward without going backwards some at this point. And I still have no idea what the nose bowels of a Goldwing looks like. But for now I think I can see my way clear on how to mount it. I'll dry fit it probably a half dozen times before I paint it all black to match. And cut any holes for wiring harnesses.

Plenty of progress to show along the way if you guys are enjoying these type things.

A day in the snake nest. I saved a lot of the boring details. Getting all the wires snaked through was tedious. Whenever you have to disassemble a Wing, it's not usually a small project.

Nose off. Windshield mechanism out, visor panel off. Meter panel moved aside. And wires to everywhere.

1000000497.jpg

1000000496.jpg

1000000495.jpg

I had a few more while I'm in here task to do. I have lit it up on key power and it is alive. Just sort of boring to look at. Until it's all back together.

I still haven't gotten close to camera placement yet. But all works electrically at this point. It was a solid day.

1000000497.jpg

Supposed to rain Saturday and the HH pads came in for the Kawasaki so I might change the fronts out then. Haven’t removed the calipers yet to look at the OEM pads but @ 26,000+ miles they’re feeling kinda wooden and not as effective as they used to. I’m lucking out with the OEM battery. The bike was assembled in December of 2017 and I bought it in November of 2018 so this month it’s five years old (for me) but next month, six years old and the battery is still working. I think the pads are the same ones for the Gen2s, FA379HH.

Last edited:
Back