What to look for in a Hayabusa?

Kipp438

Registered
Hey all, I have been reading your posts for awhile now and have decided to join in with a couple questions.

I am planning to buy a used Hayabusa in the early spring next year. I am 27 years old and have ridden motorcycles since I was 14. Started out on a 73 Honda 100, then a 82 Suzuki gs1100ez, and for the last few years a 2000 Buell Lightning. I sold the Buell for financial reasons but I will be in a position to spend $6000-7000 next year. I loved the Buell but the darn thing was in the shop more than I rode it.

I have done some research and decided my next bike will be a Hayabusa. Looks like the ultimate performance machine with decent comfort.

My questions are: Is there anything specific I should look for in a used Hayabusa? How many miles are they good for if taken care of? Where should I look for the best deals? Any other good web sites for info, research, parts, sales, that you recommend? Any former Buell riders out there that can tell me what to expect going from the Buell to a Hayabusa besides the obvious increase in power, like riding position, control, etc.?

Thanks everyone for your answers and advise! Sorry about all the questions! Great web site you have here.

I have a friend that has a buell, he used to brag about the power it has and how he has been to 120mph on it, I just laughed and told him that I can do that in second gear, he has since shut up. I have ridden his buell and the busa to me is more comfortable, and has alot better control. I have also heard of people with +50k for miles and busa still running hard. For the busa normally the only time they go to the shop is to get mods. Yes you can check the busa problem section and also find problems have had as well, but not to many people have the same problems with their busas. Everyone seems to have something different go wrong if something does go wrong.

Just my opinion though.

You hear of alot of people getting thousands of miles off the 'bus.  I put 7700 flawless miles so far in the last 8 months!  The Busa is heavier, but alot more comfy!  Go with a Hayabusa if you can.  You will never regret it!

<!--EDIT|billbell
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098491230 -->

I've put 13,500 miles on mine in the last 7 months. Basic maintenance is all that has been done.

- lube the chain
- change the oil on schedule
- changed the plugs

You know the deal, good maintenance will keep it running for a good long time.

I would also buy used with one owner. Take into count the age of the owner....someone in their 30's will take better care of a bike than a 19-23 year old.

Jay

Kipp438 I'm glad that you asked those questions,I'm looking to get one in december,and the advices work for me too.I love reading this site,but I'm not a big writer:blush:

I can't compare with the Buell, but I can with the 1100.

Much better trottle response, much better suspension and handling, at about the same weight. The brakes on the Busa are not as stong as I would like, but I think new pads and lines will fix that.

The seat to peg position is OK for me, about 6', 32" inseam, but the stock bars are a little low. I have Heli Bars, which I like, but I have also heard good things about the GenMar risers.

If you can deal with the weight and size, ( and it sounds like you can) you will probably like the Busa very much.

Look for an example that appears to be well maintained, as far as I know the only weak spots were the early fuel filters. They tended to clog very easily.

They DO make some noises, so don't let that throw you off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad you missed picking up on BT's bike, but I am sure there are others.

Good luck on your search!

Best Thing I can come up with? Seriously? Come back here when you are ready to buy and start nosing around.
Bullettrain recently sold his 03' and most here on the board new that the bike was freakin flawless. So come here and keep your eyes open, there are allmost allways a couple Busa's for sale by folks who won't steer you the wrong way...

In the meantime, I would buy a couple of books, do some studying, and keep researching what kind of bike you really want. That way when your ready to pounce, you have all the information worked out...

Welcome to the board.
A few things to look for or keep in mind are:
1) 1999 they had a recall on the fuel pumps.
2) 1999 & 2000 had a recall on the cam chain tensioner. Make sure this one has been done.
3) 1999 & 2000 had aluminum sub frames which some people have had them break.
4) 1999 & 2000 Are the fastest unresticted Busas made.
biggrin.gif
Especially if it's Blue and Silver.
laugh.gif

I have had five of them, four of which were/are turbo'd and absolutely have not one serious complaint whatsover. What other bike do you know of that you can build to almost 600 horsepower and use it as a daily driver if you like. Just look for one that has been taken care of, most likely if the guy kept it cosmetically perfect he maintained it well too, and it will give you years of enjoyment. Just my 2 cents.:)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give your advise. It is much appreciated!

Something else, I have noticed a discrepancy about in the articles I have read about the Hayabusa when speaking about the busa and wheelies. Im not a big wheelie guy but, I have pulled a few from time to time on the old Buell. Some articles claim the Busa needs to load the front shocks to lift it up, but most say a simple roll on the throttle with lift it with no problems. What is the truth to this?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give your advise. It is much appreciated!

Something else, I have noticed a discrepancy about in the articles I have read about the Hayabusa when speaking about the busa and wheelies.  Im not a big wheelie guy but, I have pulled a few from time to time on the old Buell.  Some articles claim the Busa needs to load the front shocks to lift it up, but most say a simple roll on the throttle with lift it with no problems. What is the truth to this?

Thanks again!
Its not going to power wheelie like a 1000, but it will definitely lift it with a little finess. Just ad a turbo down the road then you can power wheelie it at 150mph without a sweat
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

Something else, I have noticed a discrepancy about in the articles I have read about the Hayabusa when speaking about the busa and wheelies.  Im not a big wheelie guy but, I have pulled a few from time to time on the old Buell.  Some articles claim the Busa needs to load the front shocks to lift it up, but most say a simple roll on the throttle with lift it with no problems. What is the truth to this?

Thanks again!
Its not going to power wheelie like a 1000, but it will definitely lift it with a little finess. Just ad a turbo down the road then you can power wheelie it at 150mph without a sweat
smile.gif

smile.gif
I'm at 5000 ft of elevation and have to work abit to keep the front end down. If I wanted wheelies (which I don't)....np here...lol. If you want even better wheelie potential install a TRE...
wink.gif

smile.gif

Back