This is gonna be biased..but here goes...

rashad

Registered
I know this is a busa board, but I have come to respect alot of you and your honest opinions.. especially Dino:laugh:

Anyways, I am debating for next season.. on which bike to upgrade my 02 busa on..

1.) New 2009 White/Silver Busa... I love this bike and drool everytime I see a pic of one... It seems like the perfect answer..until my mind was molested with:

2.) New 2009 R1.. the sound.. it makes me wanna cry with joy. Go to youtube and listen to akrapovic full system on one of these.. omg...

I have been riding with mostly twisty riders and I am starting to feel the weight of the busa.. but you say the new one handles better.. so...

I know we all love our busas..but the question is... if you could have either one for free.. which would it be?

:cheerleader:cant wait..

The R1 was my first ever sports bike that I bought myself. That was back in 99 though and they have changed a lot. I think they are still great bikes and love the look/sound of them. However, I don't know how I ever road one. I sat on one at the Yahama dealer a couple of months ago and the thing was so small. Granted I'm a lot bigger than I was when I graduated high school in 99 I just don't remember the bike being that small.

Since you said you road mostly twisties and I'm assuming shorter rides the R1 might be the better bike for you depending on your size and riding style, etc. As a previous Gen I owner and now a Gen II owner I will say the Gen II is a better bike in my personal opinion. I do believe the Gen II handles better and brakes better than the older Gen I. I don't know how to prove that though with science so take it for what it is worth.

I would also tell you to go see the white 09 in person before making up your mind if you decide to go that route. I was going to buy a 09 white instead of silver because I thought the white looked better in the pics. However, in person, I think the white looks a little girly so that's why I went with the silver. Once again this is just my personal opinion so please don't flame me too badly.

Either way you'll have a fine bike on your hands. :thumbsup:

Not to offend anyone but IMHO the two bikes you mentioned are a downgrade on the Gen 1 you have now. The Gen 2 isn't as beautiful as the original and the R1 isn't a Busa at all!:whistle:

If your looking to do mostly twisties CBR 1000rr. I know not on your list but having been on all these bikes with the exception of the 2nd Gen Busa, I'd go with the CBR if I was mostly looking to do twisites.

Don't get me wrong the 09 R1 is badass and has the best throttle response I have felt on a bike yet. It's almost lethargic the way it feels like your not accelerating but the fact is it's moving but it's so smooth it don't really feel like it. It is more comfortable then the previous R1's but still applies quite a bit of pressure on the wrist. It does go in to corners nice even though it's 20lbs heavier then the last Gen. One thing that I didn't like was that it doesn't launch from the line as you have to rev it or it gurgles if your not in a high enough RPM.

The CBR on the other hand was more comfortable, it's light weight make it the most flickable bike I have felt, and it has an unbelievable amount of power from the bottom up. Just an awesome power band, very similar to the Busa in my opinion. I had an article where it won the 0 to 60, 60 to 120, and top speed against the other liter bikes. To me it felt like it could as well.

With the exception of the Zx-10R, I've road the 07 GSXR-1000, 08 CBR 1000rr, and the 09 R1, and of those I'd choose the CBR anyday. I know it's a bit funky looking but who cares when it's performance you want. That and if your looking at the new R1, then obviously you don't care if it looks fugly :poke: .

If I didn't ride as much as I do it would be the CBR but being that I ride so much I want the best of both worlds which is why I plan to get another Busa 2nd Gen hopefully this time.

I've riden the R1 and I certainly would not trade my gixxer for it!

As far as the size goes, that's a decision only you can make.

You can drop "ScooterGirl" a note, she will be happy to share her views with you. She had two busa's and now is on an 08 GSXR1K. She rides better than most guys so it's not a girlie thing.

Depends on what kind of riding you are going to do most of the time. Your choice.
I say buy an older 600-1000 sport bike and keep the Busa or go ride an Gen 2.

my friend troy has a raven 2009 r1, he has changed the exhaust to a two brothers, and put on some vortex rear sets...its a darn nice bike, I have rode it a few times, randy and kevin got to see it last week..it is a really nice bike, very torque'y still not as fast as even my gen 1 busa, but with the 3 position modes selector and everything else it is a phenomenal bike...only complaint is take off's from stop are really hard the bike lugs bad until 4,000 rpm...

btw he feels extra special because they only built some 250 of the raven edition and he has the only one in northern Indiana
also every girl that has been on the back hates it, and with the stock exhaust its almost imposable as the foot pegs are inside the(cans) cans stick out farther and your legs don't bend sideways

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

09SPBK_YZFR1_blue_D1_002_7bc2bfdc.jpg

Last edited:
comfort is important to me.. but Im 5'8 lol.. So nick, you are 6'3" correct? I always hear people say the busa is comfortable..but then I actually went back and looked and they are always huge people! Im not.. i weight 188 on a bad day, and am short..

With that info, does that change anything in regards to comfort on the liter bikes? Or is it just the wrist pressure and bad seats?

Also, will that cbr be ok for my girlfriend on the back? These are the things I wrestle with..and will probably go toward a new gen II...

I saw the white in person and I loved it... If it looks girly then I guess Misty aint got nothing on the 09' white!:laugh:

my friend troy has a raven 2009 r1, he has changed the exhaust to a two brothers, and put on some vortex rear sets...its a darn nice bike, i have rode it a few times, randy and kevin got to see it last week..it is a really nice bike, very torque'y still not as fast as even my gen 1 busa, but with the 3 position modes selector and everything else it is a phenomenal bike...only complaint is take off's from stop are really hard the bike lugs bad until 4,000 rpm...

Btw he feels extra special because they only built some 250 of the raven edition and he has the only one in northern indiana

"well, isn't that special!?"

Churchlady02.jpg

Well Rashad, I'm actually 6'5 and about 240 so comfort for me and you will be two different things. I was only 6'3 and about 195 in 99 when I had the R1 and I was fine with it then so more than likely the new R1 will be just fine for you too. :thumbsup:

Good luck my friend

Rode the new R1...it is fantastic. That cross spline engine is the real deal
and not as butt ugly at the CBR1000RR. Very smooth engine for a liter.
If your doing mostly twisties, the R1 is it but if your riding for more than an
hour at a pop it might get much.

Slightly different OEM shocks on the same frame did not magically transform
the Gen II into a liter bike slicer. Although...with skill, the Gen I is no handling
slouch to begin with but a liter bike just makes it all easier.

I'm partial to the R1 as well :thumbsup: Wish they would have left the shape
the same though...hate the stubby front and rear. Least the R1s not as bad
as Honda...the CBR is HORRIBLE.

I'd love to have an R1 (any recent year actually) in the garage...just not as
the only bike in there.

I didn't have anyone on the back on either the R1 or the CBR. From what others have said some consider the rear CBR seat small while the leg position has been considered uncomfortable on the new R1 for the passenger.

As to size I'm sure it matters but I think it will be different for everyone. The GSXR-1000 was the most uncomfortable for me to ride. Sitting on one at the dealer floor I thought it was very comfortable. You just never know till you ride it. For reference I'm 5'10" and weigh 170lbs, so not a huge difference between us.

I still say go with the Busa though and get a beater 600.

yah.. leaning toward either a new busa and beater 600...or fix mine up and dump huge amounts of money into it for no reason... probly gonna do that lol.

comfort is important to me.. but Im 5'8 lol.. So nick, you are 6'3" correct? I always hear people say the busa is comfortable..but then I actually went back and looked and they are always huge people! Im not.. i weight 188 on a bad day, and am short..

With that info, does that change anything in regards to comfort on the liter bikes? Or is it just the wrist pressure and bad seats?

Also, will that cbr be ok for my girlfriend on the back? These are the things I wrestle with..and will probably go toward a new gen II...

I saw the white in person and I loved it... If it looks girly then I guess Misty aint got nothing on the 09' white!:laugh:

I am 5'5" AND A HALF!!!:laugh: I think the Busa is definatley comfortable. I lowered the back two inches and lowered the front two and a half inches, so that my dogs could reach. It fits me perfectly now. A recent read that I did on the K9 sportbikes pointed to the K9 GSXR1000 hands down. The CBR1K was the closest overall competetor with the GSXR1K.

It is really just up to you though. The gixxer 1K is lighter, damn near a new engine design and can handle the twisty's like you read about. I did hear that it is hard to keep the front wheel on the ground:whistle:

Mani

Don't know about Yamaha's sport bikes but in 05 I bought a 1100V Star. I HATED IT. So much that I'll not try another Yamaha. It was the absolute noisiest bike I have ever riden. Most everyone I know that has a Yamaha loves them, so they say. I guess I'm to mechanically minded but it sounded like the transmission was trying to self destruct all the time. Thank God I finally traded it for a honda then that for a Busa. Ima try me a, Nah, I'll just stay where I am. If you can Rashad, ride the other bikes before making a decision. I've heard that the Hondas handle really well. Remember, We don't care what you ride as long as you hang around.:thumbsup:

You are trying to decide between a sportbike an sport touring bike, two different bredds in my book go with the breed that fits you best:thumbsup: But if you planning on doing long rides choose wisely:whistle: :laugh: I don't think their is a wrong choice, best all round bike an best bike to cut canyon an curves, good luck with what ever you pick to scratch that itch :laugh: :thumbsup:

My mate here in Oz traded his BKing for the 09 R1 it has been back twice for gear box rebuilds The 3rd time he said just give me a new one which is what he is now riding and is starting to hear the same noises as on the original. We spoke to a guy who also has one and he is having the same issue with his and is in the prossess of selling it. According to Yamaha this noise IS AN ISSUE that they are aware of but will not do anything about it till you complain.

Back