Religious Curiousity

Religious Curiousity - Where do you fit in?

• Christian (Protestant) Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc.

Votes: 153 100.0%
  • Christian (Catholic) Catholic, Episcopal, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mormon

• Jehovah's Witness

• Athiest

• Muslim

• Agnostic (Searching for God or simply not sure)

• Other

• Total voters
(rubbersidedown @ May 16 2007,13:05)
(BigDawg_03Busa @ May 16 2007,12:09)
lurk.gif
Dont just sit there and eat yer popcorn Bro,your one of the most spiritual brutha's on the board.
 I know,because I've been reading your stuff for years and have chatted with you privately about various things.
 Its kind of cool thou,you let others have theirs (religions/beliefs),while you are content with yours.

Yer still one of the coolest cats on the board.

Keep the RSD an' God bless.
I hear ya RSD, it's just sometimes I get tired of the same ole discussions.  Thanks for the words and it's good to see you posting again bro.

To everyone: Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship, cut past all the denominations (none of which are biblical anyway) and pattern every Christian's life after Jesus.  Now we should always act in love and compassion towards all man, but we often fall short (myself included).  So because you see a man or woman of God fall short (whether they curse someone out or commit adultery) it doesn't mean they can't get back on track with God for He is faithful and just to forgive us of all sins if we confess and repent.  So when we focus on people, we're already wrong because people fall short EVERYDAY, Myself included!!! Everyone will stand judgement for THEIR own life, not the preacher, pastor, bishop, deacon, choir director, pope, or priest.

My thing is this, because it is a relationship and I know what I have personally experienced in my life, NOONE can tell me anything different about the God I serve.  That being said, until we experience Him we're always questioning and doubting or rejecting.  God knows our hearts and is a rewarder of those who "diligently" seek Him.  So if we're in it for the thrills or to get access or stuff (like many of today's "professing christians") we're out of order.  

Finally I say to all non believers:
If I'm am wrong.....I lose NOTHING.
If you're wrong......you lose EVERYTHING.

It's worth the search to know Him, now and in the end.

God bless you all

(BigDawg_03Busa @ May 17 2007,17:09)
lurk.gif
Dont just sit there and eat yer popcorn Bro,your one of the most spiritual brutha's on the board.
I know,because I've been reading your stuff for years and have chatted with you privately about various things.
Its kind of cool thou,you let others have theirs (religions/beliefs),while you are content with yours.

I hear ya RSD, it's just sometimes I get tired of the same ole discussions. Thanks for the words and it's good to see you posting again bro.

To everyone: Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship, cut past all the denominations (none of which are biblical anyway) and pattern every Christian's life after Jesus. Now we should always act in love and compassion towards all man, but we often fall short (myself included). So because you see a man or woman of God fall short (whether they curse someone out or commit adultery) it doesn't mean they can't get back on track with God for He is faithful and just to forgive us of all sins if we confess and repent. So when we focus on people, we're already wrong because people fall short EVERYDAY, Myself included!!! Everyone will stand judgement for THEIR own life, not the preacher, pastor, bishop, deacon, choir director, pope, or priest.

My thing is this, because it is a relationship and I know what I have personally experienced in my life, NOONE can tell me anything different about the God I serve. That being said, until we experience Him we're always questioning and doubting or rejecting. God knows our hearts and is a rewarder of those who "diligently" seek Him. So if we're in it for the thrills or to get access or stuff (like many of today's "professing christians") we're out of order.

God bless you all
+10000

The "God told me to nuke you" argument is weak. All wars are started and ended by Greed, Land, Power & Wealth. Last time I checked the Scriptures that's not a tenet of my faith. All man-made. And even when it's wrapped around some twisted interpretation it's transparent.

A Christian's life is proven through his/her "actions" not "action". Just as a person shouldn't be judged by one "error in judgment" he/she shouldn't be glorified by one individual thing. Works in progress. We all fail, we will all fail. We have the capacity to either keep going the same way or get up and keep stepping. (We say the same thing about riding, don't we: It's not IF I go down, it's WHEN.)

All the "good things" that we do, how we carry ourselves and what believe should all point to not what we do but why we do it and who we do it for. I admit a lot of "psudo-christians" play the game but true Christians understand that everything they do must point back to Christ. Knowing that pretty much sobers our actions and words. We may lose focus and drift into sin but He's faithful to forgive and we keep on the journey.

But not without a loud smack upside the head.
(Not unlike the time I used the car without permission and dented it. I swear Moms learned her headsmacking from God himself)
tounge.gif

(BigDawg_03Busa @ May 17 2007,13:09)
lurk.gif

I hear ya RSD, it's just sometimes I get tired of the same ole discussions.  Thanks for the words and it's good to see you posting again bro.

To everyone: Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship, cut past all the denominations (none of which are biblical anyway) and pattern every Christian's life after Jesus.  Now we should always act in love and compassion towards all man, but we often fall short (myself included).  So because you see a man or woman of God fall short (whether they curse someone out or commit adultery) it doesn't mean they can't get back on track with God for He is faithful and just to forgive us of all sins if we confess and repent.  So when we focus on people, we're already wrong because people fall short EVERYDAY, Myself included!!!  Everyone will stand judgement for THEIR own life, not the preacher, pastor, bishop, deacon, choir director, pope, or priest.

My thing is this, because it is a relationship and I know what I have personally experienced in my life, NOONE can tell me anything different about the God I serve.  That being said, until we experience Him we're always questioning and doubting or rejecting.  God knows our hearts and is a rewarder of those who "diligently" seek Him.  So if we're in it for the thrills or to get access or stuff (like many of today's "professing christians") we're out of order.  

God bless you all
There has been no one here yet to describe the Christian lifestyle any better.
cool.gif

I knew he wouldn't let us down. His thinking is just a little bit more clear than eveyone else's (to me anyways).

If I was visiting,I'd insist on a day a church...
egitarre77.gif

Rubb.

I've been trying to keep all of my views to myself for the most part. I want to know where everyone else is at the moment.

aw, dude... just chime in here. ALL opinions are accepted and relevant here, except the wrong ones. HA! That was a joke.
smile.gif
We go REAL DEEP into this territory every now and then and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE comes out a little ahead by learning something from other's ideas or interpretations.

(WWJD @ May 17 2007,07:06) No hedging. I'm just asking DO ANY OF YOU PERSONALLY KNOW ANY CHRISTIAN THAT HAS KILLED ANYONE FOR GOD? I ask because if no one does, we can finally drop the whole crusades crap and move on. As a corollary, does anyone know ANYONE PERSONALLY LIVING TODAY that has started a major war in God's name? No? Okay, so CHRISTIANS do NOT KILL PEOPLE, Christians do NOT start wars. Enough a bout that.

That sad excuse for avoiding God is the WEAKEST excuse I've ever heard... "but the crusades.... whaaa whaaaa" the Crusades were done by MEN, not God, for the wrong reasons -- much like ANY WAR. And it is in the PAST - which NONE OF US CAN CHANGE - so let it go, like an old girlfriend.... "Well I can't get into a new relationship, I had this girlfriend once in my past that didn't go so well...." hahhahahahaha well if ya wanna stay in that cell... enjoy! - Wag, none of this is directed at YOU, just generally speaking.

aw, jeez, now look.... ya made me join the thread, dang it!
Ha!!! I knew I could drag you into this!
biggrin.gif

After the last time I blew up inappropriately, I finally realized that it isn't worth getting angry about religious discussions. No worries, you haven't offended me and even if you did, I suppose it really wouldn't have mattered in the overall scheme of things. After all, in 100 years, who's going to remember? Or care? Oh, right. I know what you're going to say! heheheh.
biggrin.gif

Okay, the fact is, I don't know anyone personally who was a Christian who killed someone. Not even a nutball. But then again, I don't make a habit of trying to know such people. And yet, the jails are full of just those kinds of people, as we all well know. There are even a few who claimed to have acted in the name of god. David Koresh comes to mind. The Japanese subway sarin gas poisoners.

The point I'm making is not whether or not the people are evil or not, we all know what man is capable of doing. Where I have a mystery about it is that there are good and evil people in ALL segments of the population, religious or otherwise. The key point is, did religion have anything to do with people being good or did it have anything to do with them being evil?

While we can't change the past, we can learn from it. Religion has, in the past, been other than humane. Other than good. Religion of every flavor has been the purveyor of many evil things. The Bible even revels in it, from Genesis to Revelations. The Quran likewise. History condemns other religions over and over and over again.

Does it matter that I don't know murderer who was Christian? It certainly doesn't prove anything because I don't personally know everyone on the planet! What I do know, however, is the vast number of religious people who have been evil alongside the many religious people who have been good. There are also many non-religious people who are evil alongside the many non-religious people who are just as good as the most stalwart religious people.

Bottom line is, just as you can safely say that religion didn't make anyone evil, I can just as safely say that religion didn't make anyone good, either.

Take myself, for example. I was a pretty decent guy but until I kicked my religion to the curb, I wasn't nearly as good a human being as I am now. It's a simple fact. I also know many others who have had similar experience with religion.

I almost agree with you that the Crusades, the Inquisition and 9/11 are not adequate excuses for abandoning all interest in religion but one thing remains, coming straight from the Bible: A good tree doesn't bear bad fruit and yet, it once did exactly that. Has the tree changed? Has the apple barrel been adequately cleaned? If so, who cleaned it?

(BigDawg_03Busa @ May 17 2007,07:06)
To everyone: Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship, cut past all the denominations (none of which are biblical anyway) and pattern every Christian's life after Jesus. Now we should always act in love and compassion towards all man, but we often fall short (myself included). So because you see a man or woman of God fall short (whether they curse someone out or commit adultery) it doesn't mean they can't get back on track with God for He is faithful and just to forgive us of all sins if we confess and repent. So when we focus on people, we're already wrong because people fall short EVERYDAY, Myself included!!! Everyone will stand judgement for THEIR own life, not the preacher, pastor, bishop, deacon, choir director, pope, or priest.

My thing is this, because it is a relationship and I know what I have personally experienced in my life, NOONE can tell me anything different about the God I serve. That being said, until we experience Him we're always questioning and doubting or rejecting. God knows our hearts and is a rewarder of those who "diligently" seek Him. So if we're in it for the thrills or to get access or stuff (like many of today's "professing christians") we're out of order.

..snip..

The whole relationship thing is troublesome. Ya can't have a relationship with someone you can't see. I might be able to concede that you could have a relationship with someone you could talk to but even then, people are rarely able to have successful long-distance relationships. Very sad, actually. Still, how do you hear god? In your mind? That alone subjects it to a questionable status. The point is, people aren't hearing with their ears or seeing with their eyes and yes, I know the claim of the Bible that you can't do it that way. Still, that's the perfect escape.

The truth is, people believe what they want to believe, not what's true.

By the way, the last reason for believing in god is Pascal's Wager. If you're going to believe because it's true or right, go for it. Believe what you wish but if you're just gambling on a "sure" thing by believing and just doing it to save your butt at the end, then I doubt that your faith is truly justified. As for me, I truly feel that by eliminating a religion from my life, I gained my life back. It's simply better now in so many ways and so immensely more fulfilling without the burdens of a belief in a hateful, prejudicial god.

(tdrcomm @ May 17 2007,07:06) The "God told me to nuke you" argument is weak. All wars are started and ended by Greed, Land, Power & Wealth. Last time I checked the Scriptures that's not a tenet of my faith. All man-made. And even when it's wrapped around some twisted interpretation it's transparent.

A Christian's life is proven through his/her "actions" not "action". Just as a person shouldn't be judged by one "error in judgment" he/she shouldn't be glorified by one individual thing. Works in progress. We all fail, we will all fail. We have the capacity to either keep going the same way or get up and keep stepping. (We say the same thing about riding, don't we: It's not IF I go down, it's WHEN.)

All the "good things" that we do, how we carry ourselves and what believe should all point to not what we do but why we do it and who we do it for. I admit a lot of "psudo-christians" play the game but true Christians understand that everything they do must point back to Christ. Knowing that pretty much sobers our actions and words. We may lose focus and drift into sin but He's faithful to forgive and we keep on the journey.

But the Bible is full of references to wars started at the direction of God. The Quran is rife with reference to "Holy War." Whatever religious teaching you adhere to supports such violence. Yes, I agree it is man-made but it is also, allegedly, supported by god.

I was also of the understanding that works were not the critical factor for Christians. I'm confused by your reliance on works as a way of glorifying god 'cause I doubt he needs the works of anyone!

-----------------------------

Overall, I believe wholeheartedly that if people are good, it is because they want to be good. If they are evil, it is because they want to be evil. God or religion doesn't make people good and satan doesn't make people evil. More importantly, churches and religions have yet to show that they are able to make people be other than what they are. At best, religions are a catalyst for people to act, either for good or evil.

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

but because you don't PERSONALLY KNOW some one who is a Christian that kills for Christ, you can only speak of crap you hear on the news. and you might as well discount half of that right now. because you are NOT hearing about how the Southside Baptists or Episcepalions killed a bunch of people for God or started a war. What some freaks did long ago and what was going on in their head has no business in these discussions.

but someone inevitably brings it up... "Whaaaaa! Whaaaaa! Some old guys killed people long ago before I was even alive...." That is SOOOOOO thousands of years ago.

Ya lost me with your fruit tree. You talking metaphorically or genetically or what?

Pascal's wager is for unbelievers, not believers. I'm sure BIGDAWG doesn't live depending on that. It's just a way of putting something in perspective in a couple lines that could take YEARS of growth to understand.

The Bible is also a historical account of things that went on. Not just things done ONLY for God.

People can only been shown what is good and bad. There is no definition of good and bad without the Bible. Without a "moral compass" people are directionless.

Why did you want me in this thread anyway? ?
biggrin.gif
And I never remember you blowing up about anything. I always found you intelligent and level headed

And, Wag, you sound like you used to be a Catholic "Christian" isn't that right? I've never seen a happy catholic. That "religion" seems so twisted when people start talking about it deeply, it is so large and has so many MAN ADDED parts, no one seems to know the truth anymore. Sorry to offend all catholics here - you know how I am - and this is the net, so let it bounce right off.
smile.gif

(Wag @ May 17 2007,19:27)
(BigDawg_03Busa @ May 17 2007,07:06)
To everyone: Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship, cut past all the denominations (none of which are biblical anyway) and pattern every Christian's life after Jesus.  Now we should always act in love and compassion towards all man, but we often fall short (myself included).  So because you see a man or woman of God fall short (whether they curse someone out or commit adultery) it doesn't mean they can't get back on track with God for He is faithful and just to forgive us of all sins if we confess and repent.  So when we focus on people, we're already wrong because people fall short EVERYDAY, Myself included!!!  Everyone will stand judgement for THEIR own life, not the preacher, pastor, bishop, deacon, choir director, pope, or priest.

God bless you all

The whole relationship thing is troublesome.  Ya can't have a relationship with someone you can't see.  I might be able to concede that you could have a relationship with someone you could talk to but even then, people are rarely able to have successful long-distance relationships.  Very sad, actually.  Still, how do you hear god?  In your mind?  That alone subjects it to a questionable status.  The point is, people aren't hearing with their ears or seeing with their eyes and yes, I know the claim of the Bible that you can't do it that way.  Still, that's the perfect escape.

The truth is, people believe what they want to believe, not what's true.

By the way, the last reason for believing in god is Pascal's Wager.  If you're going to believe because it's true or right, go for it.  Believe what you wish but if you're just gambling on a "sure" thing by believing and just doing it to save your butt at the end, then I doubt that your faith is truly justified.  As for me, I truly feel that by eliminating a religion from my life, I gained my life back.  It's simply better now in so many ways and so immensely more fulfilling without the burdens of a belief in a hateful, prejudicial god.
Again, noone can tell me who I have a relationship with, it's typical of Science to want quantitative reality.  I walk by Faith, not by sight where as the world walks by sight and not by faith. I lived as I wanted for 31 years, so I wasn't born saved.  My point as I've made many times before, when I surrendered I was making close to 6 figures and traveling the country.  There was NO reason to stop living the life that unless I came face to face with a righteous and just God.  Yes He is loving, but He commands the same righteousness (not perfection which is impossible) from us.

And if you don't initially have a fear of the consequences of lack of obedience, you missed the picture.  As an immature Christian there was fear of Hell & God, as I've grown older I've learned the fear is more along the lines of respect, like that of a parent.  Now I've grown and know He has plans to prosper me and not to harm me, but to give me an expected end (Jer 29:11).

Again I say this, if you want to know Him, seek Him and He will reveal Himself to you.  He searching our hearts and the question is what is He finding?  The answer may be why many don't know Him.

God bless

Well, I'm a freewill baptist and a preacher.  I've been accused of hating people just because I associate myself with Christ who never hated anyone.  I've been accused of being intellectually dishonest because I study my Bible in hopes of being more Christ-like.  

When I can see the miracles that God has wrought in my life, it is clear to me that there is no sense in claiming that I am self-sufficient.  The fact is that my life would have ended numerous times had it not been for those miracles.  

I used to work with my father installing and sometimes removing gas tanks from service stations.  When I was sixteen years old, after we had dug out a 10k gallon tank, I was pushing the sand off it.  The tank was chained to a bachoe and was pulled a couple feet up a sand embankment.  The chain snapped and whipped me off the tank and into the hole under the tank, which promptly rolled on top of me with about 500-1,000 gallons of fuel left in it.  The tank had been buried for 15 years and the sand under it was hard-packed.  When my dad got to the bachoe and pulled the tank off of me, he was worried that I would be severely injured or killed, but I climbed out of the hole uninjured.

On November 21, 2005, I came around a turn less than a mile from my home at an excessive speed.  I slid off the road and passed through a barbed wire fence, then hit the ground head first bouncing several times.  While I was bouncing, I thought of my wife and children and prayed to God that he would protect me and allow me to be with them again.  When I came to a stop, my helmet filling with blood, the first words I could say - and I could not say them fast enough - were "Thank you Jesus, I'm alive."

FullLM-web.JPG

FullRM-web.JPG

Now you may not believe.  You may have alternative explanations for the miracles and visions I have experienced and you may believe that you ordered your own existence and that you are the master of your own destiny.  You may feel that there is no life after death, no God in Heaven, and no Hell.  You may think that there is no such thing as sin and that anyone who enumerates sin is simply being intolerant and possibly even hateful.

However, it is a small matter for me to be judged in any of these matters by other people.  Each of us must work out his or her own salvation (with fear and trembling according to the Bible) or lack thereof.  But if someone takes the time to try to tell you how to do that or to tell you about something that might hinder you in that regard, do not think they do so out of hatred.  That a Christian would wish to tell you about the gift of God (which is eternal life in Christ) is a quite sincere expression of their love.

Now, if I am ever insensitive in declaring that the Bible, for example, states that homosexuals, adulterers, fornicators, murderers, and liars shall not go to heaven, forgive me.  The Bible does indeed make that assertion.  However, it is abundantly clear that the condition of being a sinner bound for Hell is a completely reversible situation.  In other words, if someone wants to change who / what they are, they can do that and affect their destination.  That is the grace and love of God at work.  Make no mistake, as I read through the list of people who will not make it to heaven, I find myself named there more than once.  But since I have learned of Christ's forgiveness of sins, I am compelled to let others know that they can receive that same gift.

Very well said CrashTestDanny, I've come to the understanding I deserve hell many times over. I realize it was nothing I did, am doing or will do that provided the way. I simply have to continue to pray that the Holy Spirit will shine the light of correction on me frequently that I may continue to be delivered, set free and continually saved.

It's humbling to know the same people we see in violation, often look like us once in our lives. That is were the compassion and love comes into play because I can say to everyone on this board I was a PRACTICING idolator, fornicator, adulterer, slanderer, & drunkard. I say practicing because there was a time in my life that I would schedule those things that offended the very heart of God. NOW at this time in my life I don't intentially sin, which is why PRAISE THE LORD grace and mercy is needed (New Testament Covenant of Grace) because I do fall short most frequently in my thoughts & actions.

So listen board members, when you see men/women of God fall from grace, and you will!!! Remember the same God that saved them is faithful to forgive them, when they fess up and repent. Christian growth also means you're not repetitively repenting for the same thing either. That's insanity which is defined as doing the same task repetitively and expecting a different outcome.

It's saying I keep speeding by the police station at 100mph, yet expecting them to just wave and not purse, handcuff and arrest me. It's saying I can continue to eat Big Macs and never have to worry about atherosclerosis. It's saying I can continue to fornicate and not have any consequenses. If I can't say NO to sister Jenkins sexual favors, I should stop having "Bible Study" at her home at 11:00pm LOL, believe me it happens.

Stop asking for God to show you a sign of His existence & IF YOU TRUELY WANT TO KNOW (for He is examining your heart) seek Him and you shall Find Him.

(Revvv @ May 15 2007,00:10) I'm sure I have left someone out and possibly offended someone posting this. My curiousity got the best of me though after the Ugly Betty debate.

If I messed up and you want to be heard simply and politely post your preferances.

I'm not asking for names here. This isn't a poll designed to help us judge one another. All I really care about is the poll.

Thanks
Politic's & Religion ... everyone gets so worked up or shall we say passionit about it. I just thought the man asked to see what are pref's were and yup, sure enough turns into a free for all. You probly shoulda just put up the poll and lock it.

argue.gif

us Bible belters always win in the end because we don't just fight, we start wars
biggrin.gif

not a religon but this is pretty much my beliefs:

According to humanism, it is up to humans to find the truth, as opposed to seeking it through revelation, mysticism, tradition, or anything else that is incompatible with the application of logic to the evidence. In demanding that humans avoid blindly accepting unsupported beliefs, it supports scientific skepticism and the scientific method, rejecting authoritarianism and extreme skepticism, and rendering faith an unacceptable basis for action. Likewise, humanism asserts that knowledge of right and wrong is based on one's best understanding of one's individual and joint interests, rather than stemming from a transcendental truth or an arbitrarily local source.

[/Quote]

so I guess I am Humanist

Back