Okay, I'm curious...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
What are your solutions?  
rock.gif

I'm hearing a lot of what's wrong with the current system, lots of blame going just about everywhere BUT the person that committed the crimes to warrant capital punishment as handed down by a judge and jury...

So, for all of those AGAINST the death penalty, offer up some real-world solutions.  We can start with a better home life, morals for our kids, the environment, etc, but what are your answers to those that refuse to follow societal rules and kill others for the thrill (serial killers, sexual predators), those that kill in the moment of passion (Mom and Dad won't let me date Billy, so we offed 'em, wife caught me with my lover, so I offed her), gang members that don't care who they take out because they're so tough, they wanted that particular car or needed some cash, or worse - they just needed to prove their worth to fellow gang members...I'm talking about people that willfully commit murder here...offer up some solutions over just berating the system and questioning those of us that back it.

Do we just house these guys/gals forever and ever...do we dare rehabilitate 'em and send 'em back out in to society...
rock.gif

And let's not forget that so many of us get pissed when we see someone's bike's been stolen and we should "kill 'em" for their petty crimes...imagine losing someone in your family to a violent crime...you get pissed about someone stealing your bike, yet think we should just forgive and move on should someone you love be murdered?

I'm so incredibly curious as to what your solutions would be?  About the only feasible solution to end capital punishment is to just pay for them to live out a full life in our already overly crowded prisons, allow them to get a college education, maybe write some books or get married.  Is that truly an answer to the problem?

You won't change my mind, but I'm incredibly curious as to what your ideals here are...

rock.gif

Like it or not. I trust the system. Corrupt though it may be at times. So if jury or Judge passes down the Death Sentence then I must agree. And it should be carried out within no more that 1 calender year from the date of the sentence.
And then we must pray that the Prosecuter is honest and above board. Again, we must trust in the system. It's all we have.
So in summary, yes, I support the Death Sentence in limited cases.

David

In some cultures, you steal u lose a hand, u kill u die ... Not really a bible thumper, but I have read it alot and when a crime was commited you paid almost instantly. You steal a cow you pay back 2 cows or you were in slavery to the person til the debt was paid ... there was no talk of his being insane or he had a bad upbringing ... it was just taken care of immediately.

I dont know that much about the Tookie case except what has been on the news lately and never heard of him before that. Not a whole lot said about the victims though or at least not as much. I dont recommend it but I saw the crime scene photo's from 1979 and it was horrible. Society has become so lax and careless about so many things I feel if the punishments were more severe that crime would be reduced dramatically. my 2 cents ...
rock.gif

I wrote a paper on this subject in college. The teacher thought so highly of it that she read it to the entire class.
smile.gif
There may not be an actual solution, however, killing them will not bring anyone back. The cost to prosecute an alleged murderer far exceeds (by millions) the cost to simply house and feed them for the rest of their life. I truly believe that allowing them to live in a cell for the rest of their life is a harsher punishment the killing them. Then you have the possibility that the accused may actually be innocent
rock.gif

I know that I couldn't pull that handle or inject that needle, but then I haven't lost a loved one. How can we value human life by killing someone else? It's hypocritical to say the least and someday the human race will evolve to the point that capitol punishment will no longer exist.

As Ghandi said, "An eye for an eye then everyone is blind."

Point taken...but, what do you say to those that disagree with having to foot the bill for these people for the rest of their lives? Taxpayers don't like the cost of keeping felons to begin with, much less those that many feel deserve to die.

Taxpayers also don't like knowing that so many inmates are afforded a college education, that they can do things like write books, "sell" their artwork, get married, that in fact many of them DO live a better life than those paying the taxes. I realize "better" is a completely subjective term, but knowing felons get satellite TV, access to the web, 3 hot meals a day...it's not fair to those Americans that can't afford the same, yet pay taxes to support those that couldn't abide by the rules of society.

Is it fair for someone that took another's life to better his own at OUR expense? Or, perhaps, many feel that it IS society's responsibility to better their life as part of 'rehabilitation' even if they're in the slammer for life...
rock.gif

The death penalty is OK with me. I think life in prison would be worse.

I do find myself wondering why we are all so afraid to die. I know I am. I saw a documentary that featured a Jew who had to help with the Nazi extermination and he said "You would be amazed at what a person will do to live just five more minutes." Even the most religious person will fight to keep from drowning. Why is that? Off topic I know, just my thoughts.

In some cultures, you steal u lose a hand, u kill u die ... Not really a bible thumper, but I have read it alot and when a crime was commited you paid almost instantly. You steal a cow you pay back 2 cows or you were in slavery to the person til the debt was paid ... there was no talk of his being insane or he had a bad upbringing ... it was just taken care of immediately.
In those cultures, or back in biblical times, the whole village actually does, or did, raise the child... today the child is lucky if Mom and Dad HELP raise them. Can't really compare those cultures to our culture today of TV babysitters, unfortunately. I can remember people in the store scolding me when I did something wrong and mom wasn't looking on the same aisle - it had a profound impact... what happened to society?!
sad.gif

In some cultures, you steal u lose a hand, u kill u die ...  Not really a bible thumper, but I have read it alot and when a crime was commited you paid almost instantly. You steal a cow you pay back 2 cows or you were in slavery to the person til the debt was paid ...  there was no talk of his being insane or he had a bad upbringing ... it was just taken care of immediately.
In those cultures, or back in biblical times, the whole village actually does, or did, raise the child... today the child is lucky if Mom and Dad HELP raise them.   Can't really compare those cultures to our culture today of TV babysitters, unfortunately.  I can remember people in the store scolding me when I did something wrong and mom wasn't looking on the same aisle - it had a profound impact... what happened to society?!  
sad.gif
Lawyers happened. And it's been going downhill since.

As far as I'm concerned Lawyers are about the lowest order of scum on the Planet. As a rule of course. Although there are a rare few who are decent and contribute to society.

David

In some cultures, you steal u lose a hand, u kill u die ...  Not really a bible thumper, but I have read it alot and when a crime was commited you paid almost instantly. You steal a cow you pay back 2 cows or you were in slavery to the person til the debt was paid ...  there was no talk of his being insane or he had a bad upbringing ... it was just taken care of immediately.
In those cultures, or back in biblical times, the whole village actually does, or did, raise the child... today the child is lucky if Mom and Dad HELP raise them.   Can't really compare those cultures to our culture today of TV babysitters, unfortunately.  I can remember people in the store scolding me when I did something wrong and mom wasn't looking on the same aisle - it had a profound impact... what happened to society?!  
sad.gif
People just don't take responsibility for their actions any more...then, they blame others for their demise...

It's cyclic and it does indeed begin with parents today...nowadays, if I scold a child in a public place, my own or otherwise, someone would call social services and I'd be hauled off for questioning...there's no one to take responsibility anymore, and then we all scurry to find someone else to blame...

WWJD had it right...it is moral decay!
laugh.gif

I'm glad you've asked the question Michelle.

I am against the death penalty, but I've only been against it for the last few years. I don't believe in a tooth for a tooth, it doesn't achieve anything.

I know what you mean about taxpayers having to pay out the huge sums to keep criminals locked up, I don't like this either (even though if someone is sentenced to death), it generally costs more under the current system (appeals etc.)

My suggestion would be, put criminals away for life - where life actually means a right period of time. I feel a lot of sentences are too short.

BUT... more to the point, I feel that criminals are treated to well in prison. They shouldn't have TVs for crying out loud. They should be woken up at 6 in the morning, put to work in some sort of factory, or something to give back to the community.

They should have no pleasures, though this isn't to be confused with education (good books to read etc.).

They should have to eat crap food, cold showers so they really know they've done something wrong.

What do you think!?

sad.gif
Lawyers happened. And it's been going downhill since.

As far as I'm concerned Lawyers are about the lowest order of scum on the Planet. As a rule of course. Although there are a rare few who are decent and contribute to society.

David
Lawyers are just the vessel used...

It's the laws that allow stupid lawsuits to even tie up courts that are to blame; it's the red tape and loop holes that allow people to just abuse the system to no end...it's people sticking their noses where they don't belong that feed the monster. It's lazy Americans looking for an easy way out, so why not sue for eleventy billion because McDonald's made 'em fat...

More moral decay!!!
laugh.gif

I am against the death penalty, but I've only been against it for the last few years.  I don't believe in a tooth for a tooth, it doesn't achieve anything.

I know what you mean about taxpayers having to pay out the huge sums to keep criminals locked up, I don't like this either (even though if someone is sentenced to death), it generally costs more under the current system (appeals etc.)

My suggestion would be, put criminals away for life - where life actually means a right period of time.  I feel a lot of sentences are too short.

BUT... more to the point, I feel that criminals are treated to well in prison.  They shouldn't have TVs for crying out loud.  They should be woken up at 6 in the morning, put to work in some sort of factory, or something to give back to the community.  

They should have no pleasures, though this isn't to be confused with education (good books to read etc.).  

They should have to eat crap food, cold showers so they really know they've done something wrong.

What do you think!?
All those things would be a great start. I also think prison is too easy on them. Make them uncomfortable while locked up and it might have some bearing on their dicisions when released. Many prisoners live much better than they ever did on the outside.

David

I am against the death penalty, but I've only been against it for the last few years.  I don't believe in a tooth for a tooth, it doesn't achieve anything.

My suggestion would be, put criminals away for life - where life actually means a right period of time.  I feel a lot of sentences are too short.

BUT... more to the point, I feel that criminals are treated to well in prison.  They shouldn't have TVs for crying out loud.  They should be woken up at 6 in the morning, put to work in some sort of factory, or something to give back to the community.  

What do you think!?
Well, at least you agree that inmates get more than many Americans could ever hope for, even if they're stuck in prison, but hey, they did it to themselves...I don't know that they'd become the better people they all claim to become if their things were taken away...my assumption is that they have all the amenities they have to keep the restless at bay.  Last thing prisons need are a bunch of pissed off inmates...they'd sue because their rights are being violated...bullsh*t...  
mad.gif

But, let's not forget, this IS NOT an eye for an eye society...I for one would pay to watch Susan Smith being rolled in to a lake, strapped in her car while the car filled with water as it sank in to the lake slowly, pictures of her two beautiful boys in front of her as she died a slow and agonizing drowning death...I would love to know that sexual deviants that rape and torture and eventually murder their victims, especially defenseless children, would die a most horrible and slow death.  I would sleep like a baby at night knowing that someone that decided it would be okay to lure boys to their home and then murder and eat them would die a truly horrendous death themselves, hence I applaude the death of Jeffrey Dahmer at the hands of inmates that they themselves couldn't stand to live side-by-side with someone so horrific.  I for one didn't like paying for some doctors to study him and wonder what made him tick for rest of his days.  

Hell, put it on PPV so we can all help pay for the final scenario those people deserve to die by...think it's a sick and twisted way to handle things?  Think others might be a bit deterred if they KNEW they'd die the exact way they took a life?  I wonder...

No, we don't have an eye for an eye here...so many suffer for much longer than anyone can imagine at the hands of a killer...they get off too easy getting a "quiet death" and I surely can't imagine them living out their useless lives in prison while reading books...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134580905 -->

the answer is life in prison with 3 things--food /water/basic medical care
no tv--no yard time-no books-not jack but those three things and a concrete room ....for life!
as far as tax dollars go--they are waising your money elswhere too-
in my opinion i would rather die than live in those conditions--if they suicide thats on them.

GOVERMENT!
If we change it.......We will atleast be heading in the right direction!
We can't change the Gov. We lost control of it long ago. Sure, we can vote for a change. But the Politicians are all the same anymore. You vote a crook out and replace him with a new crook. Sad but true. When is the last time you saw an honest Politician?

David

the answer is life in prison with 3 things--food /water/basic medical care
no tv--no yard time-no books-not jack but those three things and a concrete room ....for life!
as far as tax dollars go--they are waising your money elswhere too-
in my opinion i would rather die than live in those conditions--if they suicide thats on them.
Would you dare work in that prison as a guard? Think there wouldn't be complete chaos? Your life would be in the balance as a guard every time you walked in...

And like I said, some special interest group out there would scream "human rights being violated" and that would end that...it's not a real world solution...

And I'm all for letting 'em end their own lives...saves everyone the trouble, BUT WE end up paying for 24 hour guards to keep him from hurting himself...it's stupid...

GOVERMENT!
If we change it.......We will atleast be heading in the right direction!
We can't change the Gov. We lost control of it long ago. Sure, we can vote for a change. But the Politicians are all the same anymore. You vote a crook out and replace him with a new crook. Sad but true. When is the last time you saw an honest Politician?

David
there is a way but things would get much worse befor they got better and i dont think our people have the stomach or the #uts to do it-so we will just elect some old, rich, white guy to replace the other old, rich, white guy.

Back