Okay, I'm curious...

That's pretty sadistic dudewizr!  
laugh.gif
 And coming from you?

I kind of like it...sounds like a good plot for a movie...
cool.gif

But honestly, it would NEVER fly...
See, now aren't you glad I try my best to live a good Christian life!
biggrin.gif
I figured you were either high or trying to make a point...

laugh.gif

I just try my best to be a good and honest person...that's about all I can offer...
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm a christian and I'd pull the switch.  Not that I would enjoy it personally and I am against killing, but I would step up with a spine to set the pace.  None of this fence straddling, politically correct crap.  Just get on with it.  ZZZZZT!  NEXT!  You play, you pay - simple, concise, complete, effective.  How can people say it WON'T deter if it's not currently in use full steam?  How could it NOT work?  Based on a couple of trials in small markets not being as effective as someone hopes, does NOT mean it wouldn't work on a nationwide level.

christianity and religion ARE interchangable however you see fit.  If you choose to seperate them and define them with deep specifications, then you are trying  to make too big of an issue out of generalizations to detract from the primary focus... like saying, "What did you mean when you wrote 'and' ??"
If you advocate killing, then you a nominal Christian only. It is specifically prohibited in the Bible, and i don't mean in the Ten Commandments either. That is a mistranslation, the Hebrew reads that you can not kill unlawfully. Jesus stated, as mentioned earlier, that the taking of life was to be reserved for God alone.
Christianity is a religion, religion is not necessarily Christianity. This is an important distinction often overlooked during a discussion of the topics. I'm not trying to marginalize either one, just point out that they are not one and the same.
I think it would be interesting to run a scenario as KOD suggested, the results would be fascinating.
I too wrote a paper about the death penalty for a Criminological Theory class in college, researching for that is where I learned some of the things that cause me to think it's a bad idea as it exists now.

I did some research about religon and the death penalty...heres what I found

I can tell you now that most of the laws are in the old testament. Many Christians today will tell you the old testament was done away with after the resurrection of Christ. Here is the passage where Jesus himself says otherwise, as well as proof that he teaches it in the NT:

Matthew 5:17

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
5:18
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Murder and judgement taught by Jesus:

Matthew 5:21-22 'You have heard that it was said to the people long ago 'Do not murder' and that anyone who murders will be subject to judgement. But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgement.'.

New Testament: This is where Jesus in getting onto the Pharisees and Scribes, about their traditions and commandments of men getting in the way of Gods law, and quotes the law of God putting a person to death.
Starting at Matthew 15:1
Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
15:2
Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
15:3
But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
15:4
For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
15:5
But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
15:6
And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
15:7
Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
15:8
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Clearly, Jesus is telling us that we ARE to follow God's law, even the death penalty!!

Another strong point; they will also argue that the 10 commandments say not to kill....incorrect!! It says you shall not MURDER. The bible clearly distinguishes the difference between manslaughter (accidental killing or murder w/o thought) and murder, both wich have different penalties.

Note the laws for manslaughter and murder, Numbers 35:16-29:

16 If a man strikes someone with an iron object so that he dies, he is a murderer; the murderer shall be put to death.
17 Or if anyone has a stone in his hand that could kill, and he strikes someone so that he dies, he is a murderer; the murderer shall be put to death.
18 Or if anyone has a wooden object in his hand that could kill, and he hits someone so that he dies, he is a murderer; the murderer shall be put to death.
19 The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death; when he meets him, he shall put him to death.
20 If anyone with malice aforethought shoves another or throws something at him intentionally so that he dies
21 or if in hostility he hits him with his fist so that he dies, that person shall be put to death; he is a murderer. The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death when he meets him.
22 But if without hostility someone suddenly shoves another or throws something at him unintentionally
23 or, without seeing him, drops a stone on him that could kill him, and he dies, then since he was not his enemy and he did not intend to harm him,
24 the assembly must judge between him and the avenger of blood according to these regulations.
25 The assembly must protect the one accused of murder from the avenger of blood and send him back to the city of refuge to which he fled. He must stay there until the death of the high priest, who was anointed with the holy oil.
26 But if the accused ever goes outside the limits of the city of refuge to which he has fled
27 and the avenger of blood finds him outside the city, the avenger of blood may kill the accused without being guilty of murder.
28 The accused must stay in his city of refuge until the death of the high priest; only after the death of the high priest may he return to his own property.
29 These are to be legal requirements for you throughout the generations to come, wherever you live.

**note that is says throughout the generations**

Death penalty(exodus only-tons more in Lev):

Ex 19:12
And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death:

Ex 21:12
He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.
Ex 21:15
And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.

Ex 21:16
And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

Ex 21:17
And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

Ex 21:29
But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past *, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.

Ex 22:19
Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.

Ex 31:14
Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Ex 31:15
Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Ex 35:2
Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

<!--EDIT|BaybeBusa04
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134769855 -->

Mr Brown, how convenient to use our bible to hold us accountable. You sound more and more like the President of the Ohio Chapter of Atheists with every post. He's a great bible scholar that doesn't miss a turn when pointing out our shortcomings and misinterpretations of the bible but yet he doesn't even acknowledge God.

Nominal Christian? Interesting, where does that rank in regards to a Non-christian?

Anyway have agreat weekend, see ya on Monday!

Clearly, you can be 100% Christian and believe in the death penalty.....Its there in the book, black and white.
Jesus said it himself.

Clearly, you can be 100% Christian and believe in the death penalty.....Its there in the book, black and white.
Jesus said it himself.
Can I get an AMEN!

I just want to add this on murder, in the commandments it doesn't only apply to homicide.

I John 3:15 "Anyone who hates another Christian£ is really a murderer at heart. And you know that murderers don’t have eternal life within them."

Nice work Babe

Mr Brown, how convenient to use our bible to hold us accountable.  You sound more and more like the President of the Ohio Chapter of Atheists with every post.  He's  a great bible scholar that doesn't miss a turn when pointing out our shortcomings and misinterpretations of the bible but yet he doesn't even acknowledge God.

Nominal Christian?  Interesting, where does that rank in regards to a Non-christian?

Anyway have agreat weekend, see ya on Monday!
I hold you accountable to the Bible because you seem to hold everyone accountable to it, even those who don't believe it. In proclaiming yourself a Christian, you are making it known that you are accountable to it.......
I am by no means an atheist, again you think you know about me, I have said nothing of my own beliefs....
In fact, according to the Bible it is better not to have known the gospel, (Non-Christian) than to know it and be a hypocrite (Nominal Christian).
Have a safe weekend, I'll look forward to Monday!

Jesus said it himself.
Nice research Carrie, but I still fail to see where Jesus advocates killing. The Old Testament certainly provides for lawful killing, and Jesus said to follow those rules, but in addition, he said it is not mans place to cast judgement on other men, lest he be judged. Again, let he who is without sin cast the first stone......

I'm for the death penalty. I've also been incarcerated . So I know that our prison system is NOT reabilitating criminals . I reabilitated myself. But prison is WAY TOO EASY!!! As a gaurd said once some of these guys have it better in here then they did on the outside. We need tougher penalties and anyone that says we don't need the death penalty should wait until some A-hole kills one of thier loved ones then say so.

By the way you do work everyday and you do make the prison money . Thats what the system is all about , not changing people thats why the return rate is so large.

You guys are putting way too much thought
coffee.gif
into this stuff. Just pull the trigger
guns.gif
, look over you shoulder at the next murdering scumbag and say
director.gif
in a LOUD and CLEAR VOICE, NEXT  
laugh.gif

I'm still awake, 11pm here now... I've got a chesty and tickly cough at the same time, along with headache, runny nose.  I should be in bed, but noooooo, must write more.

The Christianity and murder thing are an interesting topic.  Members of the Church I am part of are in the military, and if required will go to war.  This raises an interesting point, simply - thou shalt not kill... however...

We believe in God, and Jesus Christ along with his teachings.  The crunch comes that we also believe we should uphold the law of the land.  That law includes us going to war, in theory to protect our freedoms.

<!--EDIT|kod3001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134774035 -->

Jesus said it himself.
Nice research Carrie, but I still fail to see where Jesus advocates killing. The Old Testament certainly provides for lawful killing, and Jesus said to follow those rules, but in addition, he said it is not mans place to cast judgement on other men, lest he be judged. Again, let he who is without sin cast the first stone......

theres something about that too.

The lesson is not to judge those people of things you are guilty of too! Not that you are not allowed to judge! Example-a thief cannot judge a thief. If it were a sin to judge, then our court systems would be a sin, jurors would be sinners...see the problem there

And he doesnt ADVOCATE killing, he says you will be put to death for these crimes.  It is up to those who believe in God to follow is word.  We are not murdering someone who is sentenced to death, we are following the word of God.

<!--EDIT|BaybeBusa04
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134774314 -->

Gods law is very specific when it comes to judgement. You can find many of his laws in Leviticus, of course. No where does it state not to judge, and God tends to repeat what he says to get the point across, as well as avoid confusion; so if it is only mentioned 1x in the bible, odds are, it is an error on the readers part, or the translators part
When using Jesus's teachings, it is very important to read the entire story, not just pick a little piece, otherwise it makes no sense!

I very rarely get into a Faith issue, but the Bible does NOT say "Thou shalt not Kill" the correct translation is "Thou Shalt Not Murder" and then goes on to define the act of Murder. That is Killing anything with malice in your heart. If not God would have violated his own laws when he told the Israelites to kill everyone when entering the Promised Land.

I'll go no futher with this because Faith debates GO NO WHERE FAST !

so if "religious christians" are indeed allowed to make things right offing the "good challenged", I guess christianity can fit into this debate, as well as the fact that it offers simple, cut and dried solutions to this sort of thing.

but if it wants to be ignored by some discussing this topic of what to do about capitol punishment, then good luck. you probably won't ever get an answer from our wishy-washy world

ZZZZZZT! NEXT!
smile.gif

I'd bet you'd want revenge if they stole your Busa and waded it around a tree. No doubt, you'd be there to pull the trigger on that bag-o-shittie.

I want less detention centers and more death of inmates. Kill them if they are a 3 time offender. I don't want to pay to keep these scum bags alive for decades. I want the god damn roads fixed so I can WOT my bike, and not be spit off by a pot hole. The money can be spent more wisely like road infrastructure.
Should I be paying to have some murderer breathing and eating day in and day out.... While his/her victim is being eaten by worms?
I sure as hell don't need to detain the criminal fanatics that have a religious agenda about to be forced on humanity. I want these sand savages sent to their heaven so they can wallow with their virgins for eternity. Waste them just on principal.
Sad as it is, there are just some people that do not need to exist on the same planet with normal, and sane people.

Ah, and another Christmas will pass with no "peace on earth." Why even have religion if you are not going to follow the simple rules laid out for you?
What part of "thou shall not murder" don't you understand?
Drunk drivers = kill 'em
Child molester = kill 'em
Most of the arab world = kill 'em
Murderers = kill 'em
Whoever continues to keep "I Love Lucy" on the air = kill 'em

This was all a parody about the human condition. If you took offense to any statement, you can kiss my ass. You know what they say if you can't take a joke!

Back