Me VS. Wife

Would you let your significant other tell you what to do with your money?

• My lover is also my banker

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • My money is mine her's/his is her's/his

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • I am illiterate because my other half is also on this site

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I make the money, I make the rules

Votes: 31 35.6%

• Total voters
Yes, she works for the city doing bills for people and whatnot. Right now we have somewhere around 18K but we have an understanding not to touch that until we are both willing too and like I said, a roof over our head is better than money in the bank. We have a $100 limit on things we buy and we both tell eachother when we buy something or if we are planning too. I dunno, I want this quad but I'm not gonna sacrifice my marriage for it. We want a house, on the beach, with great insurance (cause Ivan likes to come through ever so often). I just think the extra money I make here would be a perk for being over here.

Oh it is a perk for sure. A wise man I worked for a while back offered some good advice. He said that if you ever were to come into a surprise large sum of money you should take 10% of it and spend it how you would like, the rest of it should be invested somehow.

The perk you have is that you are accumulating wealth at an accelerated rate for your time over there. Its not a surprise large sum, its predictable and more over unless you have the earning power to replicate it when you are not over there, its likely the fastest way you will build wealth at the moment. If I were in your shoes I would save the money, find the house you both want, get the things in the house you both want, make sure that is squared away, THEN go buy your toys. The house will hopefully not depreciate and if you live in it long enough almost certainly will add to your overall net worth. ANY toy you buy will depreciate the day you start it and continue to be worth less and less.

Just talk it over with your wife, you are certainly right the toys are not worth losing a marriage to a good woman :thumbsup:

I will tell you a story.

I went and looked at a used bike. I wanted to ride a motorcycle. I call the wife and "ASK" if I can buy this motorcycle for $200. She said yes. I put 500 miles on the $200 bike.

I got a $4.00 an hr raise and told the wife I would like to buy a "NEW" motorcycle. The wife informed me that I had "Better NOT" buy a motorcycle. That was 7 yrs ago, and we are into month 18 of our divorce. I will be glad when the divorce is final. I will buy a "NEW" Busa. Oh, I did go and buy that motorcycle, it pissed her off to no end. I drive used trucks, ans she drove a $40,000 car. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I married for love the first time. :please:

I was also i the Army for many years and had to go over sea thats why I say you should get what you want because of being there and not back in the states and tell her get over it ( in a nice way) and that it is the only fun that you have there than being home with her:whistle:

Buy it.

It's a math question, not an emotional issue. If you can afford it, go get it.

Sorry man, I just see the numbers. :thumbsup:

Took me 3-years to save up $8000 in cash to buy my new busa.

I told my wife about it the day I was going to pick it up.

Last edited:
Right now I think you're in a tough situation, far from home, making a lot of money, and dreaming of ways to have more fun than you're having now. But this is a don't count your chickens before they hatch thing too. Tmes are pretty tough here in the states for a working man.

I just dodged a bullet in the financial sense and realized EVERYTHING could go down the tubes in about 2 months without a job. Now we're on a big debt reduction program. Every time I want to buy a toy, that money goes to prepaying the mortgage. I love my wife and family far more than I could love any of my toys.

Hopefully you will be coming home soon. Figure out the life you want to have and then design your finances to get it. Work with your wife and plan it together.

The money Lynne and me get is ours, if we want to but anything we just ask each other and if we can afford it that's alright.
We are both guilty of wanting something but not needing it, me more than her, so now I take a step back and think do I really want this, because I've bought stuff and hardly used it.
Now is it just the mods and the quad bike she don't want you to get or everything you want to buy, who's idea was it to mod her SV650S, did she want to do it or did you.
If her money was stolen in the past perhaps she feels insecure about not having no cash saved, apart from having the money stolen did it affect paying bills and stuff and she don't want to be in that situation again of having no money, perhaps she's worrying about the deposit for the house, maybe wants a bigger deposit so less repayments.
There is a lot of variables, and it's best in my opinion to talk to her when you get home face to face, you can't see peoples emotions over a phone, and then maybe come to a compromise. Your marriage sounds strong so you will work it out in the end.
And thank for the service to your country as well.

I don't give advice to married couples especially when only one is present.
You are deployed at the moment and would have no use for either purchases at this time
Wait till you get home, discuss it as two adults, set priorities and figure it out.
Why would you be creating more stress than there already is? Sounds selfish, doesn't it?
There is not my advice to you sir. Good luck and do the right thing.

THAT answer I like. I'm not gonna touch our savings but I could save up for a while. I don't NEED the quad right now, I've already got my street burner, but it would be nice to go out and play with the fella's I work with whom all have quads.

We set up multiple savings accounts and decide how much to put in each. There's one for my toys, one for long term savings, new car, etc. How much goes into each sometimes varies by what's happening on our world, bit we try to keep it consistent. Delayed gratification isn't always easy, but it's the best long term strategy.

Buy it.

It's a math question, not an emotional issue. If you can afford it, go get it.

Sorry man, I just see the numbers. :thumbsup:

Took me 3-years to save up $8000 in cash to buy my new busa.

I told my wife about it the day I was going to pick it up.

So you hid $8000 from your wife for three years?
Tim you naughty naughty boy :laugh:

I recently did a big side job that paid me really well , Before I took it I told the wife that I would only do it if "WE" each get $5k to spend anyway we want . She agreed and thats how I got my big bore done paint to follow . As far as its MY money , that doesn't work in a marrage so if you want something she needs to get something too , its only fair . So if you are making tons of cash tell her she can take the same amount as you , it worked for me . If you want your marrage to work you cant say its my money , everything is "OURS" now . Remember YOU put the ring on her finger and asked her to join you for the rest of your life. Good Luck and come home safe!

There is a certain part of the female anatomy I like to call 'the remote control'.
It is a wondrous device which controls almost everything wirelessly. If you want to play with it and use it you are gonna do it her way. You're deployed and don't need the toys yet.
Go do some push ups and wait till you get home. Once you return and after a day or two of you 'using' the 'remote control' she should be willing to say yes to anything. That is if your any good :whistle:

Works for me.

So, as most of you know, I'm not in the states right now, but my wife is. This entire trip I have told her that I wanted to upgrade my big bird and I also wanted to get a 2011 YFZ 450R. She thinks that she can moderate the money I make in this desert sh!thole and tell me what I can and cannot buy.

I know there are more married people here than there are singles so I'm looking for your input. I'm making more than enough to sustain life and my quad payments would be <$100 a month. I live on base and have no bills except for the truck and the car which come out automatically each month and I never even see that money. Please tell me who is right here. I think its me, she doesn't. What would you do?

As a single guy, but here is my .02

Upgrading your bike is fine, hell go for it upgrade whatever you can do afford, don't finance upgrades. Anything beyond 30% of what your bike is worth is a 0 return investment, most anything you put on is going to add 0 value but more then 30% is when you really feel it.

Your also looking at a 8k (msrp) ATV unless you put a huge chunk down $100 a month sounds unrealistic, even 4k financed for free on is over 3 years of payments....

Personally with ATV's and dirt bikes that is a cash type of toy. Anything I am going to go play hard in the woods / mud with had better be paid up in-case something happens. Easier to walk away from something knowing I don't have money owed still tied up in it.

Possibly from her perspective you are already spending your money and time on things away from her, given your far away now coming home and spending all your time and $ you leave her with a small piece of the "you" pie.

If I were in your shoes I would do whatever reasonable upgrades you can swing on your bike. Then check into how much interest she has in dirt bikes or ATV's and see about getting 2 so you both can ride. :beerchug:

If not something shinny and a vacation together if nothing else when you get back you have a fighting chance at getting that ATV you want. :whistle::laugh:

Women do like to feel secure. As long as there is a roof over my head, food in the cubbard, bills paid and money going into a savings of some sort, BusaWhipped can buy whatever he wants. Yes I said it and it is in writting. :laugh: But seriously, he works 70+ hours a week at a job he HATES. I could never tell him he can't buy a toy or go on a trip with the guys. I agree with what many have already said, wait until you get home and decide together. Things are already stressful with the two of you apart.

Women do like to feel secure. As long as there is a roof over my head, food in the cubbard, bills paid and money going into a savings of some sort, BusaWhipped can buy whatever he wants. Yes I said it and it is in writting. :laugh: But seriously, he works 70+ hours a week at a job he HATES. I could never tell him he can't buy a toy or go on a trip with the guys. I agree with what many have already said, wait until you get home and decide together. Things are already stressful with the two of you apart.

You are my dream girl!

Get the house on the beach first. Happy wife, Happy life. Im married almost two years and my life is completely different now. Have to think of her feelings first then yours. Kinda sucks. I did the same thing but with a bike talked about it then bought it and then returned it. Cost me 400 bucks to own a bike for a day that I bought with my money. Married=our money, no matter who makes more. Worked out though, she let me get the busa after we bought our house. Now she says we need a ski-doo : )

Back