Help me pick a bike for my wife

V-stars lowered are really low. Little heavy though. Maybe a SUZ c50 or M50. The M50 feels lighter than the new GSXR1000 and is really low. My buddy has one and you feel like your sitting on a toy bike becuase it is so light and balanced. 800cc with not too much power, FI too.

My wife has a Honda Rebel 250..... It's the same bike tha theu use at the MSF course. She's a small girl but enjoys riding. We also take into consideration the weight of the machine. So a bike like this is perfect for a small women. It is street worthy and does'nt have to much power. Hope this helps.........

(hayadooin @ May 03 2007,22:57) My wife has a Honda Rebel 250.....   It's the same bike tha theu use at the MSF course. She's a small girl but enjoys riding. We also take into consideration the weight of the machine.  So a bike like this is perfect for a small women. It is street worthy and does'nt have to much power. Hope this helps.........
My wife is just over 5' too, and she rides a Honda Rebel 250 too. That is the bike the MSF course uses for it's class and is perfect for a beginner. You can buy low milage used ones for around $1700 - $2000, and when your wife is ready to move up you can sell them for around the same money!Seat height is right at 26"

My Wife is 5'2" she rides a CBR 600RR. We lowered the bike & she wears riding boots w/ a taller heel - Icon. She had a CBRF4i & loved that too.

Something you should consider is the Suzuki Burgman 400. The cut-out up front makes flat footing possible down to 22-24" inseam, I believe.

And yes, it's a real bike.
tounge.gif
It's very much at home on the highway at 65mph, and tops out at 90.

(GSXTacy @ May 04 2007,00:17) Ninja 250. The Buell blast is a good bike............but may be the ugliest ever made.
The Kawasaki Ninja EX250 is Inexpensive, easy to maintain, and a lot of fun.

When I really want to burn up the Dragon and the Hellbender that is what I ride.

You could try an Aprilia, some of them are low, but some states make them hard to get street legal, like Florida is a pain. but they are light little bikes and can be alot of fun.

My wife started on a 250, but now she has a ZX6R. 2" links in the rear and drop the forks 1 in the front. The forks hadn't been dropped in this pic. She is 5'2".

100_0228.jpg

Thanks to everyone. A lot of great choices. I'll let her sit on and ride several of your suggestions. One is bound to fit.
You guys are great!

I would say to start get a 250.  I know firsthand the Ninja EX250, cheap, easy to ride, good to learn on.  The wife has 65 miles on hers.

You can get some info on lowering one here.  This is the web page of a guy how lowered it for his 5'0" wife.

Check out the pink ninja, lol

We went and looked at some 250s today. I liked the Rebel the best, then the Zuke next best. There was a Yamaha 250 that looked kind of like a Harley and it was $1000 more.

I had her sit on a Boulevard 600 and she can sit flat footed. I'm wondering how much difference the weight would make.
She is 55 years old, so I am trying to pick something that is least likely to bite her. I'm the only 60 year old I know who rides a Busa, but I've been riding all my adult life and have been crazy for longer than that
cool.gif

I'm in Idaho Falls, and most of the locals think HD is the best thing since sliced bread. There are a few sport bikes so there might be something used, but I may have to go to a different city like Boise to find a 250. I'm thinking the heft of a 600 may be just a bit much for a beginner.

(FAVahalik @ May 05 2007,17:07) We went and looked at some 250s today.  I liked the Rebel the best, then the Zuke next best.  There was a Yamaha 250 that looked kind of like a Harley and it was $1000 more.  

I had her sit on a Boulevard 600 and she can sit flat footed.  I'm wondering how much difference the weight would make.
She is 55 years old, so I am trying to pick something that is least likely to bite her.  I'm the only 60 year old I know who rides a Busa, but I've been riding all my adult life and have been crazy for longer than that  
cool.gif

I'm in Idaho Falls, and most of the locals think HD is the best thing since sliced bread.  There are a few sport bikes so there might be something used, but I may have to go to a different city like Boise to find a 250.  I'm thinking the heft of a 600 may be just a bit much for a beginner.
My wife took the MSF course when she was 56 years old. She loves her Honda 250 Rebel. It looks great, is light and easy for her to lift off the stand and move, and is powerful enough to ride in town or the highway. Sure a bigger more powerful bike would appeal to BUSA riders, but if she trys to learn on a bike that will intimidate her she may not enjoy the experience and loose interest or hurt herself. I can tell you it is a different feeling looking in your mirror and watching your wife on her bike learn to ride. You want to give her every chance to become a skilled rider so the two of you can enjoy your passion. You can always move up to a bigger bike later on. In my opinion there is no better bike for a beginner than the Rebel 250 period!
beerchug.gif

(GSXcite @ May 06 2007,07:25)
(FAVahalik @ May 05 2007,17:07) We went and looked at some 250s today. I liked the Rebel the best, then the Zuke next best. There was a Yamaha 250 that looked kind of like a Harley and it was $1000 more.

I had her sit on a Boulevard 600 and she can sit flat footed. I'm wondering how much difference the weight would make.
She is 55 years old, so I am trying to pick something that is least likely to bite her. I'm the only 60 year old I know who rides a Busa, but I've been riding all my adult life and have been crazy for longer than that
cool.gif

I'm in Idaho Falls, and most of the locals think HD is the best thing since sliced bread. There are a few sport bikes so there might be something used, but I may have to go to a different city like Boise to find a 250. I'm thinking the heft of a 600 may be just a bit much for a beginner.
My wife took the MSF course when she was 56 years old. She loves her Honda 250 Rebel. It looks great, is light and easy for her to lift off the stand and move, and is powerful enough to ride in town or the highway. Sure a bigger more powerful bike would appeal to BUSA riders, but if she trys to learn on a bike that will intimidate her she may not enjoy the experience and loose interest or hurt herself. I can tell you it is a different feeling looking in your mirror and watching your wife on her bike learn to ride. You want to give her every chance to become a skilled rider so the two of you can enjoy your passion. You can always move up to a bigger bike later on. In my opinion there is no better bike for a beginner than the Rebel 250 period!
beerchug.gif
I liked the Rebel the best too. And I think a 600
would be too intimidating, just like you do, and so would a 500 cc bike. When she gets really comfortable riding, even in traffic, then I would think of something bigger, if she wants it. She really just wants to ride around at a moderate pace, and leave the adrenalin stuff to me.

I have a friend that claims to be 500 and the only bike she could manage from the factory was the Rebel.

(FAVahalik @ May 05 2007,17:07) I'm in Idaho Falls, and most of the locals think HD is the best thing since sliced bread.  There are a few sport bikes so there might be something used, but I may have to go to a different city like Boise to find a 250.  I'm thinking the heft of a 600 may be just a bit much for a beginner.
Dude! If you live in Idaho Falls sell your busa and buy a Banshee and live every weekend of your life on the sand dunes!

I drove 10 hours to go there and didn't want to leave after my week was over. You are less than one hour away! And there you can legally go as fast as you want and stunt as much as you want!

*You see Da_Bus get very jealous*

(Pipefighter248 @ May 03 2007,18:38)
(busa_bill @ May 03 2007,21:18) Somebody was running a "mini Busa" on here not long ago.

I'll try to find the thread.    
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
Seriously,  where can i get one of those mini busas!  Thats awesome! I would buy one tomorrow!

If anyone knows PM me, please!

(ZbornacSVT @ May 04 2007,20:47) My wife started on a 250, but now she has a ZX6R.  2" links in the rear and drop the forks 1 in the front.  The forks hadn't been dropped in this pic.  She is 5'2".

100_0228.jpg
I love the style of the new ZXs

Very cool

Back