Help me pick a bike for my wife

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I want to get a bike for my wife. What I want is a bike that is low power (maybe 200-300 cc) and low to the ground because she is about 5 feet tall.

I want something intended for the street, but something that is a real bike and not a scooter. She can ride a bicycle, but not much more than that. A 500cc Buell was way too tall for her. If she has to stand on tip toes, it won't bode well, and if she falls, I want a light weight bike so she won't get hurt by the bike itself.

After she learns to ride a bit, we can always get something bigger. Please help me with some brand/model/year stuff.

836661141881185.jpg

5' tall huh? Good luck! You're going to have to spend some time cutting down the seat and/or lowering the bike, whatever you end up with!

You might wanna try a small displacement cruiser. Some of them have very low seats and might accomodate her size.

Good luck in the search!

Try this-

2007 GZ250

Get ready to tap into all the thrills that motorcycling has to offer - with the versatile Suzuki GZ250. It's designed to offer exactly the kind of performance beginning riders are looking for. With a seat height of less than 28 inches and a dry weight of just 302 pounds, the GZ250 is a joy to maneuver around town, even in tight traffic. And that lightweight responsiveness is complemented by brisk engine performance and a wide powerband.

The GZ250 is also styled so you'll fit right in with your riding buddies. It has classic Suzuki styling - long, low and lean - and includes a variety of features from a buttoned-down seat to flashy spoked wheels.

That's not all - the GZ250's superb combination of performance, styling and price is the perfect definition of value!

https://suzukicycles.com/Products/GZ250K7/Default.aspx

Yammy makes a great little mini cruiser in 250cc that would be perfect. Very low seat and light and easy to handle. Its a Virago I think, like this

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Virago-2005-Yamaha-Virago-250-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50049QQihZ015QQ
itemZ250110715374QQrdZ1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....4QQrdZ1</a>

I bought my wife a 2002 Buell Blast seat height is around 27.5". My wifey is 5'2" and can flat foot it no problem. Buell has a 2.8 gallon tank, 34 horses, air-cooled four-stroke single cylinder
Displacement: 492cc(30.0ci)
Bore and Stroke: 88.9mm X 79.38mm (3.50 in. X 3.125 in.)
Fuel System: 40 mm Keihin carburetor with auto fuel enrichner system
Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
MPG: 69 urban / 72.8 hwy
Seat Height: 27.5 in. (25.5 in. low profile)
Rake and Trail: 25 degrees / 3.4 in.
Wheelbase: 55.0 in.
Weight: 360.0 lbs. dry
Fuel Capacity: 2.8 gals

Somebody was running a "mini Busa" on here not long ago.

I'll try to find the thread.
biggrin.gif

Not the one I was remembering, but that's a sweet little mini Busa too!

Anyone looking to see their mini?

I second the buell blast. If the stock seat hs still too high, try the "low" model. The seat on that one is 2" lower than the regular on. My wife is 5' tall as well, and we're in the same boat. Right now, it's between the Blast and the GZ250. A lot of folks have suggested the Revel, but the way the bike is designed, if you look at the seat, the battery box bulges out around the front of the saddle, so it requires your legs to be spread out more when you stand up, which kinds defeats the purpose of having a bike thats low.

My leading candidate right now for my wife is the Low model Blast. the Blast is a nimble lil bike - GREAT handling, and being that it's a 500 cc bike, she'll be able to actually ride on the highway and keep a decent speed.

Get her a 600 Ducati Monster  
SHOCKED.gif
!!! One of my buddies just got one for his 14 year old son to learn on and it's perfect. Low to the ground, low power and easy to ride. Along with being exotic but CHEAP to own and operate. Just what a beginner needs  
super.gif

Plus, any woman looks SEXIE on a Duc
biggrin.gif

(FAVahalik @ May 03 2007,19:18) I want to get a bike for my wife.  What I want is a bike that is low power (maybe 200-300 cc) and low to the ground because she is about 5 feet tall.

I want something intended for the street, but something that is a real bike and not a scooter.  She can ride a bicycle, but not much more than that.  A 500cc Buell was way too tall for her.  If she has to stand on tip toes, it won't bode well, and if she falls, I want a light weight bike so she won't get hurt by the bike itself.  

After she learns to ride a bit, we can always get something bigger.  Please help me with some brand/model/year stuff.
Dude ... I know what fits the bill PERFECTLY!

L951375.jpg

Ninja 250. The Buell blast is a good bike............but may be the ugliest ever made.

Do what my lil'sister does. Have her wear riding boots with a thick sole. I think ICON offers such a boot.

My wife is also severely vertically challenged.

She started out a couple years ago on an Intruder 800. This year she upgraded to an 1100 V-Star (Roadstar) with all the fixin's.

She was flat-footed on the Intruder. Now she's on the balls of her feet. I've been thinking of a lowering kit for her.

Get her to try em out. They are about the only 2 models we found that she felt comfortable enough on.

Back