Changes coming to the oRg

Well team, I told you that I would let you all know in advance when changes were on the horizon and I think the time is here. I am not 100% sure what the next iteration of the oRg will look like but there is clearly going to be some adjustments in the near future.

I was really hoping that the Gen III would invigorate the site and get some new members, bring in new content and start new conversations around a whole new bike. While we did see some short term increase in site participation we are seeing the lowest activity on the site in the 22 year history.

We are looking at options and will keep you informed on what those look like as I get more data but as it stands what we have to consider is below:

Current options under consideration?

1. Reduce the size and history of the oRg and move to a more cost effective hosting solution.
2. Make the site read only and go to a historical model with no way for new content to be added.
3. Change the view of the site to a much more archived look with more text and less everything else as read only and no new posts.
4. Shut the site completely off

I will not even consider the option of paid memberships, we've tried that and its just not worth the hassles.

As it stands right now I would expect changes to be made in the fall of this year as I have more time to deal with the next steps.

I would really like to keep the site online in some form as I have 22 years invested in it and it feels like there is a part of me connected to it. I don't want to forget the great people, relationships or memories made from the members here..

More to come,

Doug
Do a gofund me. We can all pitch in whatever amounts we want. Certainly will help keep things the way we would like them to be.

200.gif

May I ask for a basic breakdown of costs? Can you explain why hosting costs are so high when traffic is so low? Who is raking you over and for which services?

It sounds like storage is a significant cost. I easily find many photos at 250-350k. Such can be resized to something like 1400 wide, compressed to around 40k, and still have a clear appearance even on sizable screens. That is over a 5-1 reduction in size. If the plugin is merely compressing then the photos still have an excessively large resolution that has no practical advantage.

While traffic is low, every week someone seems to join and gets exactly correct advice from techs or people on the level of professional techs, and they get their bikes moving and upgraded. The paltry amount of traffic hurts but is defied by the greater purpose that is perpetually being served. In that vein, even if it needs to be a text bulletin board, such would still serve the purpose. Most vehicle owners with a broken bike do not care what the forum looks like but they merely require the helpful advice that is still available here.

This is a sad thread to read.

At the end of the day you need to do whats best for you. I know it will be a sad time for many "if" the site becomes a read only or it's totally shut down.
I understand where you are coming from. I don't think the younger age groups are into the big heavy Hyperbikes any more and its more the adventure style bikes that the 40 year old plus who are coming into or back to biking are buying.

But what ever you do i think you know we will all understand.

as mark3evo has said, the uk hayabusa forum is very slow with only a small group of members posting. There is a lot of non bike topics on there just to keep it going.

May I ask for a basic breakdown of costs? Can you explain why hosting costs are so high when traffic is so low? Who is raking you over and for which services?

It sounds like storage is a significant cost. I easily find many photos at 250-350k. Such can be resized to something like 1400 wide, compressed to around 40k, and still have a clear appearance even on sizable screens. That is over a 5-1 reduction in size. If the plugin is merely compressing then the photos still have an excessively large resolution that has no practical advantage.

While traffic is low, every week someone seems to join and gets exactly correct advice from techs or people on the level of professional techs, and they get their bikes moving and upgraded. The paltry amount of traffic hurts but is defied by the greater purpose that is perpetually being served. In that vein, even if it needs to be a text bulletin board, such would still serve the purpose. Most vehicle owners with a broken bike do not care what the forum looks like but they merely require the helpful advice that is still available here.
Does bring up a point of website optimization that can shrink down the footprint quite a bit. Minimizing Javascripts and resizing images, delayed loading of page assets will reduce Kb transfer cost significantly, especially for people who dont read the entire page. We do this often so would be glad to help to get this done on the site at no cost @captain .

This is the one and only sight i come to for anything busa. I stay away from political crap most times anymore. I get the cost verse the benefit doesn't add up anymore. Most site sponsors have closed, bailed, or just plain old gotten driven off. Cap isnt going to take donations or anything else like that due to tax bs etc. Totally get that too. The gen 3 is a flop basically when it comes to any traffic. These kids now days only do faceplant, or snapcrap, or tictac something or other. They aren't capable of learning or carrying on an intelligent conversation.

I would be greatly saddened to see the org go. I stop in multiple times a day. I dont always have much to offer but what i do i try. If cap decides to fold it up its been a pleasure meeting every single one of you! Though we might not have always gotten along i think the org was a stronger place because of it.

@captain
Doug have you not considered option 5, selling it?
As established as it is it’s got to be worth a decent amount?

Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group)
30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921
Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA
phone:
info@carbonmedia.com

This company and their sister company Second Media own over 1600 forums. They bought several other forums I’m on a couple years ago and seem to be a decent company.

Just a thought

I'm still fairly new around here but this place has helped me in so many ways I can't thank you all enough. It would break my heart to see this place gone, and I can only imagine how those of you feel that have been here for many years.

I've been on many forums over the years, and will always prefer this style of communication vs social media platforms like facebook. However, I've never been on a forum with a group of people like this one. There are some great people here, and I see why many stick around even after they have moved on from the Hayabusa platform.

If this place does end up going, thank you all and I'm glad I got to be a part of this place before the end.

Well, I think the Gen 3 may have killed this site (temporarily?). While it's a credible bike and very well executed for Suzuki's perceived audience, the garage DIY tinkerer was not the target. That's probably the most important difference between the Gens: The Gen 1 & 2 are your Busa and the Gen 3 is a Hayabusa.

People used to buy a Busa with a vision of how they were going to change it already in mind. That made this site indispensable. You have to be a certain sort of person to buy a new $20K bike and tear it apart. Further, there's stuff in the Gen 3 that is just a bit too complicated for all but the most committed DIY soldiers.

So, with the Gen 3, Suzuki managed to hit the bullseye on their market target, it's a great bike and there isn't a lot to talk about. I joined all the BMW sites when I got my BMWs but quickly found out there was nothing to talk about (other than all the recalls),

So here's the question: Will the Gen 3 Hayabusa eventually become a "Busa"? We are seeing ways around the ECU lock to an extent, so maybe it can be the premier hoon bike again. More to the point is the lull in interest temporary or has the Gen 3 permanently changed the Busa ownership experience? If temporary, cut back on the site to wait it out. If permanent shut it off and stop bleeding money.

In any event, it's been fun and not so fun at times. But thanks to the small group of people who made all this possible, mainly Doug. We've had some disagreements in the past but I always believed your heart was in the right place.

Well, I think the Gen 3 may have killed this site (temporarily?). While it's a credible bike and very well executed for Suzuki's perceived audience, the garage DIY tinkerer was not the target. That's probably the most important difference between the Gens: The Gen 1 & 2 are your Busa and the Gen 3 is a Hayabusa.

People used to buy a Busa with a vision of how they were going to change it already in mind. That made this site indispensable. You have to be a certain sort of person to buy a new $20K bike and tear it apart. Further, there's stuff in the Gen 3 that is just a bit too complicated for all but the most committed DIY soldiers.

So, with the Gen 3, Suzuki managed to hit the bullseye on their market target, it's a great bike and there isn't a lot to talk about. I joined all the BMW sites when I got my BMWs but quickly found out there was nothing to talk about (other than all the recalls),

So here's the question: Will the Gen 3 Hayabusa eventually become a "Busa"? We are seeing ways around the ECU lock to an extent, so maybe it can be the premier hoon bike again. More to the point is the lull in interest temporary or has the Gen 3 permanently changed the Busa ownership experience? If temporary, cut back on the site to wait it out. If permanent shut it off and stop bleeding money.

In any event, it's been fun and not so fun at times. But thanks to the small group of people who made all this possible, mainly Doug. We've had some disagreements in the past but I always believed your heart was in the right place.
There seem to be quite a few gen 3s that are really taking off and becoming unique, following the same path as the other generations..

Other than the addition of the electronic suite, I see no real change in ideology of the gen 3 Hayabusa as compared to the previous generations..

There are many examples of stretched, tuned, piped and customized gen 3s out there...

Well team, I told you that I would let you all know in advance when changes were on the horizon and I think the time is here. I am not 100% sure what the next iteration of the oRg will look like but there is clearly going to be some adjustments in the near future.

I was really hoping that the Gen III would invigorate the site and get some new members, bring in new content and start new conversations around a whole new bike. While we did see some short term increase in site participation we are seeing the lowest activity on the site in the 22 year history.

We are looking at options and will keep you informed on what those look like as I get more data but as it stands what we have to consider is below:

Current options under consideration?

1. Reduce the size and history of the oRg and move to a more cost effective hosting solution.
2. Make the site read only and go to a historical model with no way for new content to be added.
3. Change the view of the site to a much more archived look with more text and less everything else as read only and no new posts.
4. Shut the site completely off

I will not even consider the option of paid memberships, we've tried that and its just not worth the hassles.

As it stands right now I would expect changes to be made in the fall of this year as I have more time to deal with the next steps.

I would really like to keep the site online in some form as I have 22 years invested in it and it feels like there is a part of me connected to it. I don't want to forget the great people, relationships or memories made from the members here..

More to come,

Doug
hows the traffic lookin? we gonna get updates?

Here is an example of the volatility that we see with Google. Often times Google will make a change and it has a marked impact, sometimes positive, sometimes negative and we don't always know the durations. When the activity on the site is low AND we have these challenges with Google for months on end it becomes a perfect storm of badness for the site as a whole... Incredibly Google made another change and you can see we went from POOR to Needs Improvement to Good and we never changed a thing on the site.

1663092178557.png

1663092221916.png

Back