Why the changes o the forum....

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
So we have been on new forum for 4 days now and I wanted to post up and let you all know why we needed the changes. If you take a look at the bugs that people are having right now you will start to see a trend. We have people using mobile phones with limited browser functions, Ipads with the same problems, Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer, firefox, Opera and the list goes on and on with many different revisions of each one. There are 3rd party plugins to browser and then different bandwidth limits to work with on top of that. We were seeing that some systems could run some functions but other couldn't, to get us to a platform where we can offer more features to everyone we needed to make a fundamental move.

We have been planning this move for over 2 years, we have thousands of hours involved in the planning and testing on test forums that we set up. We made every effort to test the functionality before we went live and you have no idea what all we were able to catch and change before the "Go Live" on Wednesday night. Since the go live we have seen this huge volume of differing systems come to the site and experience different behaviors. We are working to find a place where functionality is good and we can capture as many people as possible but in the end there will be some people that need to upgrade or maybe even find a different way to access the Org. We try to keep up with technology and sometimes that includes not supporting older operating systems or browsers.

It drives me crazy to hear comments that people don't like the new forum... It personally bothers me because of the endless hours planning and then to find out your work is unwanted... Part of me is able to see above those complaints but in the end it just means that I didn't meet my goal. I would compare this move with getting a present for a friend, your all excited about giving it to them and when you do they just look at it and throw it on the ground making a comment "I like the one I have now better." Regardless of my personal feelings we have a need to make the transition so we did, we will continue to strive for success.

Some of you have made direct comments at why all the ads, I am more than happy to let you know why....

1. Traffic on the site is down and we have lost advertisers. It's a tough economy out there, the industry is hurting.
2. I went 19 months without a job and this site did not always make enough to cover all the cost. We have strong months and weak months, we try to balance the income to cover the year.
3. I just dropped over 6k to make this move, new server, new software, new functionality and planning for the future of the site. We don't ask for money from members we simply as for involvement, don't just read but post up too. It is a tough economy and everyone is affected including me, I can't afford to subsidize the site out of my pocket like I have been able to in the past.

For those that question why the ads, I have a lot of money invested in the thing we call the org, with usage down I am trying to recover the funds as quickly as possible.

We knew going into this change that there were going to be a few people that complained about something they always do. I have been a little taken back by the number of people that have just been so direct, negative and vocal about the changes.

When the site went offline we immediately started receiving emails from people wanting to know when the site was coming back online. We tried to keep people up to date on facebook and so I read posts about how people missed the site and wanted it back up. We made a decision to go ahead and turn the site back up where people could at least use the basic functions of the site and let us work out the kinks... I have to admit there were more problems than we anticipated but we are actively working through them.

As social media changes we have to as well, the programs that are required to integrate are in this new forum. We are working late into the night to find solutions to the problems that some people are seeing. We ask for your patience to help us work through the changes... When we make a change to fix one things we might inadvertantly change someone else... We will continue to need time to work through these problems JUST LIKE WE DID IN 2008.

In the end, please be patient with us.... I have no doubt that there will be more functionality than ever, the speed wont be effected and things will get back to normal....

cap

Thank you for all the work you and everyone behind the scenes does Cap.

Looks good to me. You have always made the correct decisions for the org. and after a while every one will get used to the new look. I still think you should bring back the voluntary pay as we go so we can afford to keep such a great place for the org family!

Thanks for the kind words folks, however this thread wasn't intended to be a "thank you cap" thread but more of a "This is why" thread.

I know Omar worked hard on it too, now about that new search page :rofl:

I appreciate the information on the why Doug

cap, mere words cannot express how personally grateful i am for all that you have done (and continue to do) for the ORG. Maybe easier said than done but the heck with the naysayers/detractors/ingrates.........specially if they are NOT sspending a single cent to help defray the costs of running the ORG! IMHO, you do not owe anyone an explanation but the fact that you chose to do so speaks volumes about your character amd big heart.

You didn't have to explain yourself. It's your site.
Thanks for the present. It's better than the one I had :laugh:

I don't have any complaints just questions on how to get a few things done is all.

You know when I first got back on it was laggy etc. I have since made adjustments to my computer updated a few things added and adblocker and sweetness it is fast or faster then before! The new goodies rock too!

Viper on iphone!

We tend to fear change and things we dont understand ... to those that dont like the new look I say " Give it a chance, learn to embrace new things and change." Hey I didnt like the Gen II at first, now I wouldnt swap for 2 Gen I's :laugh:

I can't really understand people complaining. Just be grateful that cap runs this site, putting his time and money into it, and to the other people involved as well.
Just think what life would be like without the org.
Thanks cap you get a big big thumbs up from me.

You do a great job Cap you and your team:thumbsup:, just a suggestion maybe pin a thread where users can post their issues they are having instead of you finding threads posted.

Site is working fine and fast on my end adds and all:thumbsup:

Latest Firefox release without the add removal plugin my PC is old, about 7 years...

AMD 64 Dual core FX-57
2.81 Ghz 2 gigs of Ram

Ready for and upgrade to quad core and realized that technology has moved past that to 6 and 8 core :laugh:

Must move forward or be stuck in the past. Like Zuk and the Hayabusa that everyone keeps begging for an update and advancement on design , functionality and appearance. When those changes do come, some will embrace it and some will ridicule it and protest it.

Smileys are back, and I see you fixed also the reply box, wouldn't update after you submitted the reply into the thread had to hit the refresh button to see your latest post in the thread. Never mentioned it since I knew you and the mods were posting and would catch it and address it.

And most importantly aside from the smileys being fixed I saw my highscore in Asteroids is still intact and unchallenged:poke: :laugh:

No problems here for me Thanks for the site and all the hard work:beerchug:

I love the upgrade. I am one that accepts change for better technology though. I learn to navigate software changes very easily on my own as well. I know not everyone is able to adapt quickly to changes. I'm sure as time goes along others will come around and praise your decision to better the experience that is the ORG !

Thanks for all your hard work and sleepless nights to better the community !!

All I will say is that you guys and gals ROCK. Keep up the great work, we will learn to love the new site,
and then complain when it is changed again. :rofl: :rofl:

Back