Changes on the forum -- Google Ads

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
As I know most of you are seeing changes on the top of the screen on the site...

As with any business to stay operational you have to adjust to the economic times. I'm sure most of you know that the economy is tough right now. Several of our long standing advertisers have not only stopped advertising but they have shut their businesses down. In an effort to maintain the site and continue to provide the services that we have for so many years we have made adjustments too.

We held off for many years partnering with Google or other companies for advertising. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Please give us a little time to get the formatting down so we can make changes to the ads on the top of the page. Functionality first and then we can work out the details of the ergonomics including placement, colors and size...

Our vision has been simple, provide a place for people to build relationships and become closer. We have done that and honestly for most of the members at no cost. Over the years we have accepted donations, we went for over 3 years recently without a penny going to the site. We did take donations for special projects to help members but no money went into maintaining the site.

I have already started receiving emails and PM's from people that are frustrated but the facts should be able to speak for themselves. We all know the motorcycle industry is in decline, many dealerships and parts companies are folding each week, if there is no money coming in for advertising then I must take other actions.

Over the years that we did accept donation we would get a few thousand dollars a year, no where near enough to pay for the servers, software and other expenses. We are doing what we feel is best for the site...

I will say this to those that are so upset, what has this site cost you and what have you actually paid in... I will not have this site be a paid for use site, I think that the vision for the site is to be open and available to all, not just those that can afford it. So taking the banners off for donating members isnt really an option in my opinion. We will work to make the banners more non intrusive and we can also adjust the sizes, but we have to have them...

For those that are not understanding and are going to tell me we have plenty of money have no idea what a site like this really costs to run.. We do the best we can do for the members... Do I really like having the banners on the top? Not really but what would you have me do? If there are no advertisers available wanting to pay each month then what other options do I have.

I do not want this next line to sound ungrateful but just adding up the numbers should tell you something.. To be a donating member all you have to do is offer a one time 10.00 donation. We have 762 donating members, many have donated much larger amounts over the years..

Lets for a second just say that all 762 members donated 25.00 that would still only equate out to 19,050 over 10 years or 1900 a year.

What I need from you guys is a little understanding, someone has to pay the light bill. Let us work out the details on the sizes and colors and things.. Work with us to make this place better....

I will close with this... To this day there are only a handfull of peope that know about a company that confronted us about 3 years ago to buy the site. They offered us a substantial amount of money for us to turn the reigns over to them. They had full intentions on changing the layout of the site and adding banners all over it. The company bought motorcycle websites all over the Internet and many have caved in and what used to be a growing site full of enthusiast turned into a faded forum... We have turned down several high 6 figure offers from companies over the past 3 years because we felt this place was worth more to us with the friendships and people we have met than the amount offered. I still get a couple of those types of offers every year... Guys we are doing what we can to keep the site open to do what has done so well for the past 10 years. We are not supported or subsidized by Suzuki, the mods and admins don't get paid and I don't make enough money off the site to pay my own bills. So please cut me a little slack with the banners, we are just doing the best we can to make things happen.

If on your part the toughest thing you have to do is deal with a few banners and MAYBE click on one you see interesting then I don't think we ask too much...

I will make this offer to you that are still upset....

If you have donated in the past year to support the site I will gladly work a deal to refund your money... I don't want anyone to feel like they have been ripped off from the site....

Captain...

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from. It's not about money for us users. I think most of us would willingly pay to play. I've donated and I'll continue to donate. I do it because I appreciate the efforts you put into this place.

One question, Is there any way to move the ads to the bottom of the page? There would still be ad views but they wouldn't be intrusive.

I understand where you are coming from. It's not about money for us users. I think most of us would willingly pay to play. I've donated and I'll continue to donate. I do it because I appreciate the efforts you put into this place.

One question, Is there any way to move the ads to the bottom of the page? There would still be ad views but they wouldn't be intrusive.

We're looking at all options, BUT you know as well as I do that if we put them on the bottom no one will see them, we dont get anythig from impressions we get money from clicks...

HOWEVER

We are also working on getting the ads inbetween the post and things like that, we might be able to get rid of the large banners on the top of the screen all together... The only way we can get this rolling was to use the production server, the ads are hot as soon as we enter the code...

Like I said just please be patient (you can't see them anymore anyway) :) and give us feedback, there will have to be a compromise between the membership and what it takes to keep the data flowing...

Cap

Understood, patience is not my best virtue.

They should be paying per impression. We pay per impression and pay more for each clickthrough. Sounds like google changed their income plan. No wonder they're so rich.

Understood, patience is not my best virtue.

They should be paying per impression. We pay per impression and pay more for each clickthrough. Sounds like google changed their income plan. No wonder they're so rich.

What happens is this... The ads are a bidding war you might say... Companies will try to out bid each other to get onto a site like ours with more impressions, they pay more for the higher impressions on a site like the org with a huge niche market.... So we defeat ourselves by putting the banners hidden on the "reset your password" page if that makes sense... We control the color, size and somewhat the content on the banners... Trust me when I tell you I have blocked all political, all male enhancement (thats just what we need around here) all drugs and alcohol and the spammy stuff. We should be getting good ads, so far I have seen K&N and some other busa links...

I do however really want to know how much Yahoo had to pay to get on Google banners :)

cap

Doug, i think most people here will be understanding with your efforts!

The banners above, aren't bad, however, i personally hate the inbetween pop ups, such as all that you see on the other site's!
Vertical Scope made so many changes to all the site's they own, everything you type you end up with add of some sort! It gets really frustrating!
And as always, if there is anything i can do to help, just let me know!

I promise you all this right now.. There will not be any pop ups..

I can live with the ads, I can only imagine what it cost to keep the site up and running. And thanks for keeping the spammer type stuff off. :thumbsup:

I can live with the ads, I can only imagine what it cost to keep the site up and running. And thanks for keeping the spammer type stuff off. :thumbsup:

I am filtering ads as we speak.... I am allowing some catagories and blocking other ads and trying to get it where the ads are relevant and good for the members...

Capt. the majority of people on here know what it takes to run the day to day operations of a site like this and we applaud you for your efforts in keeping it up and running, for those that don't understand, they should walk a few miles in your shoes then they would understand why you do what you do. People are going to complain no matter what you do, if you gave out 50.00 dollar gift certificates when you join somebody would complain as to why it's only 50 and not more. Don't sweat it, I say do what you have to do.

Last edited:
I am under the opinion that if people don't like it, they can go elsewhere. You do what you have to and keep this site going, I can't click on any of the smileys!

I am under the opinion that if people don't like it, they can go elsewhere. You do what you have to and keep this site going, I can't click on any of the smileys!

I agree with RacerV. Banners do not bother me and do what it takes to keep the Org running. Too many wieners in this world.

Gotta do what you gotta do Doug. While I'd hate it, if someone offered you six figures, nobody'd blame you if you took it - but I'd holdout for seven! :thumbsup:

Doug, if a few ads at the top of the page is all it takes to keep this site up and running, it is a small price to pay. I glance at them, and if they are not something I want them I move on. I am glad you are not going for pop-ups everytime you open a new window, those get a little annoying. I have no problem with the ads to keep the site. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work, I look forward to the next 10 years. :cheerleader:

Hey folks we made a few changes late last night and this morning pulling the ads up closer and losing some of the extra spaces...

I made the color of the ads the same as the background of the forum so they would not be as intrusive... I have been setting up channels and getting ads specifically for bikes and things like that...

give me some feedback....

Your thoughts thus far?

Better?

cap

I'm fine with it and understand what it takes to run a business as I've had a few .
No problems here .
I am curious now though what a 'ButtyBuddy' is as I keep seeing that ad :)

Send my money BACK :rofl: , surly you JEST !!!! This site is worth every penny I've donated and LOTS more. If for no other reason, seeing :shocked: some of the DUMBEST people (AND FAT :omg: ) on Earth :laugh: doing some of the DUMBEST things while wearing really weird cloths (or nearly NO cloths/ and did I say FAT) . It's like going to Wally World and just looking at their customers :duh: . This site is PRICELESS :thumbsup:

Stand up Guys.
I don't post a lot but I get a lot of enjoyment from this site and check it every day.
Donated again today Cap. Not easy when you have cutbacks at work, but it costs something to do something that you enjoy. I understand your problems and have no problem with the banners. I would miss this place if it became very different from the way it is now! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Back