Changes coming to the oRg

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Well team, I told you that I would let you all know in advance when changes were on the horizon and I think the time is here. I am not 100% sure what the next iteration of the oRg will look like but there is clearly going to be some adjustments in the near future.

I was really hoping that the Gen III would invigorate the site and get some new members, bring in new content and start new conversations around a whole new bike. While we did see some short term increase in site participation we are seeing the lowest activity on the site in the 22 year history.

We are looking at options and will keep you informed on what those look like as I get more data but as it stands what we have to consider is below:

Current options under consideration?

1. Reduce the size and history of the oRg and move to a more cost effective hosting solution.
2. Make the site read only and go to a historical model with no way for new content to be added.
3. Change the view of the site to a much more archived look with more text and less everything else as read only and no new posts.
4. Shut the site completely off

I will not even consider the option of paid memberships, we've tried that and its just not worth the hassles.

As it stands right now I would expect changes to be made in the fall of this year as I have more time to deal with the next steps.

I would really like to keep the site online in some form as I have 22 years invested in it and it feels like there is a part of me connected to it. I don't want to forget the great people, relationships or memories made from the members here..

More to come,

Doug

Well, as my only social media and a place I call home, it will be a big loss to me personally to lose this site but I also feel the pain of trying to flog a dead horse to the first place finish...

I shudder to think of how many posts I'd have if I had found this place 22 yrs ago...

the final day of this site will be similar to the final scene on the "Truman Show" where we all awake from our slumber and have to find something else to do....the wife will not be happy....

always best to have a proper site rather than Facebook social media
of course at some point ALL good things come to an end. Lets hope it a few more years away.

i like the way you can express views not always in keeping with others viewpoint with minimal aggression or bad mouthing.

and once seen on Facebook you try and find the same post again - its impossible

i'm also on a Great UK site with 3,600 members but after 16 years only 50 active participants keep it alive
on UK site most bought Gen1's in their 40s , now average age 60+ throw in change of life, deaths , retirement posts decrease

i also regret to say Motorcycle ownership is reducing too in the UK , i think the EU want no motorcycles in 20 years

Well, as my only social media and a place I call home, it will be a big loss to me personally to lose this site but I also feel the pain of trying to flog a dead horse to the first place finish...

I shudder to think of how many posts I'd have if I had found this place 22 yrs ago...

the final day of this site will be similar to the final scene on the "Truman Show" where we all awake from our slumber and have to find something else to do....the wife will not be happy....
100,000 + or 3 years on continual posting :shocked:

So, this sounds very ominous and while I hate to be so downtrodden the issuance of solutions without factors bearing on the problem (other than reduced member activity and content) seems simplistic. As indicated by the quick responses you have received, there are many here that would be glad to assist (in whatever form) to keep the site alive. Simply stated, this site has become the voice of the Hayabusa for all here and around the world. There are other sites, but nothing that covers the breadth and depth of the Hayabusa (and the option for other topics) with it's own mediation and policing. I hate to be so to the point (perhaps it's the point of life that I am in), but I (along with many other members) have been here for 19 of the 22 years of the site, participated in the donations to keep it running, believe it is the only significant social media that I want to have for the Hayabusa (and other topics), and want to be part of the solution not just a recipient.

Agree, the Gen 3 did not bring the funk the way the 1999 Busa did, however, I do not believe the site has lost relevance.

Captain, this site has led to so much and been used by so many many across the 3 generations of the Hayabusa (even outside just the member participation) it would be crazy to not hear from the masses. Just my $.02 that is likely not worth anything as I've found throughout my life.

200.gif

What can we do ~ to help out ?

Doug isn’t asking for any input or contributions from us. His numbers, all four of them are money saving (adjustments) addressing the costs of running the forum. Any one of them would also reduce the time involved to administer the site. I can see archiving several sections of the forum to read only. I never visit them and I almost never see anyone else visiting them, adding new content or making an inquiry. There are plenty other forum sections that I would not want to go away. Good luck with whatever you come up with Doug and let us know if you want our input.

Admin should have locked the post if it didn't want comment on this topic

A readable archive at the very least, although pics & diagrams have been a tremendous help to me so I'd hope there is a future that includes this aspect of an archive format.

I'd like to be banned, please, the day before the site goes dark ... just because the only thing cooler than owning a Busa would be getting kicked off its premiere and legendary oRg, of which I was once a member.

I frequent the site often enough that I just keep it open on safari on my phone so I’ll sure miss this place. It was the first ever forum I joined after lurking for some time and seeing how nice most of the members were. When I bought one of my other bikes I paid the annual fee to get on that forum and quickly learned that I would not renew thanks to All the whining and attitude the members had. I understand why you don’t want to deal with contributions since I was able to see first hand how nasty people can get when they think that the moderators are their slaves thanks to the $20/year they paid and want to make silly demands. I sure have made some friends here.
Hope you can find a solution that you are happy with.

I know you said you are not asking for contributions but I will definitely shoot $20 over to keep this place going and so will many others. The domain registration is fairly cheap but I'm not sure how much space this forum takes and what your yearly cost it. I know the adsense isnt paying off as there isnt that much click/traffic here. Can you calculate your costs for this year so we can keep this place going? When I bought my Hayabusa I made this place home, I do not wan't it to go away.

Doug,

I lurked on here for a few years before finally signing up in 2004, right before I bought my Busa. I stop in here at least once a day, though I don't really post much these days, not that I ever really did in the first place. Just want to thank you for keeping the doors open all these years and allowing me to hang! Whatever you decide is fine by me!

@captain I understand you had issues in the past with taking donations but I'm sure there is enough people on here that would gladly donate without wanting any kind of recognition like you had done in the past and with all electronic ways to send money now or would be simple enough to put up something like a cash app name and show people to donate as they wanted. I believe I read elsewhere that some people accused you of using donations to purchase a bike (might be thinking of a different forum so don't hold that against me) but honestly I know for a fact there is members here that have talked about trying to kick in to help get you a busa so i don't think that would be thought of here and even if you did do something like that i would feel it's your right to use it for giving us all a great place for so long. Of course we understand you have to do what's best for you but this place would be badly missed if it goes away so as much as you don't want to at least maybe think about and try the cash app idea for donations and if it doesn't raise enough or didn't work out out would be easy enough to return the money that wasn't used. I know I don't post as much as I used too but I do still visit almost daily and feel like many that I will be losing a lot of family of I couldn't come check in on them. And if I don't get to see the finished thread of @michael parris heuberger and his beast of a build I just don't know what I would do since I have so much time invested in watching it soooooo sloooowly come together (@michael parris heuberger :poke:) :lol:

Back