Anyone own a Glock 30?

Nothing wrong with a Glock, but you really should include the Sig P229. It is, without a doubt, the best quality/best shooting firearm I have owned. Mine is .357 cal. With a quick barrel change, it'll run .40's as well. Nice size, conceals pretty well.
Good stuff.

I carried a model 30 for years and it has only recently been replaced (added too) by the new springfield micro compact. It carrys better than the glock, being about 3/4 inch shorter and way slimmer.

I have to agree somewhat with crashbomb about the 10mm to some extent. They are worth a look. However, I'm firmly set on the 45 being "the king of carry".

IMHO, there are only two calibers for carrying anyway, 9mm for firepower and 45 for knockdown power. All in between are just a bunch of compromises.

Chris

The 23 is my carry piece and I gotta say I love it, fits my big hands perfectly and doesn't have the weight or bulk of the full sized semi's. Did all my training with glocks, though the ones I trained with were the full sized 9mm's. 40's have allot more stopping power but less the kick of the 45's allowing for more control during rapid firing...which simply put, is what you'll be doing if you ever have to defend yourself. Which ever you pick though, practice allot with it. Try rapid firing and I'd suggest if you get a holster to practice doing drawing technique.....and dear lord, please make sure the firearm is unloaded if you do. I had a friend who put a hole in his Television practicing his quickdraw technique with a loaded gun. Just not safe or smart.

(NCBusa2001 @ Oct. 07 2006,22:29) I carried a model 30 for years and it has only recently been replaced (added too) by the new springfield micro compact.  It carrys better than the glock, being about 3/4 inch shorter and way slimmer.

I have to agree somewhat with crashbomb about the 10mm to some extent.  They are worth a look.  However, I'm firmly set on the 45 being "the king of carry".  

IMHO, there are only two calibers for carrying anyway, 9mm for firepower and 45 for knockdown power.  All in between are just a bunch of compromises.

Chris
Whats the compromise of the 40? It's an accurate round with amazing one-hit take down power. Minimal recoil allows for rapid follow-up shots...in my opinion the 40, next to the 380 auto, is the only real defense round out there.

I noticed on Springfield's site they offer a ported version of the XD .40 (pictured in BusaCruise's post), for less recoil and faster target aquisition. I didn't see it offered for the new XD .45, but it seems like that would be a fine piece if it happens.

I'm not sure about the ports on the XD but for a CCW piece that's going to be used primarily for defense, the whole "gas port" thing isn't always as great an idea as they first sound. Yes they do reduce recoil (well...muzzle flip at least) and theoretically that will provide a faster follow up shot, but think about this logically for a second, how fast is your second shot target re-acquisition going to be in the DARK (where most personal defense situations happen anyway) when you've just blinded yourself (and destroyed your night vision) with your own muzzle flash.

Just something to think about. I've never shot a ported XD, but I know the ports on the Glock C models really throw out some serious fire and it's BRIGHT in a dark room, you can see spots in front of your eyes after you shoot it. It's better to learn to controll the recoil with your wrist and practice faster double taps at the range than to rely on an element of design to do it for you.

I have the Glock 22C. If I had to do over again I would have NOT gotten the compensated one. I hate the blast of air I get from the ports on top. Took me forever to stop blinking when I fired off a round. The Glock is a great gun but after getting my Sig P220 I have found a new love. Anyho I think it is all personal pref. Any of the guns listed here are great CCW weapons.

(CrashBomb @ Oct. 09 2006,21:53) I'm not sure about the ports on the XD but for a CCW piece that's going to be used primarily for defense, the whole "gas port" thing isn't always as great an idea as they first sound. Yes they do reduce recoil (well...muzzle flip at least) and theoretically that will provide a faster follow up shot, but think about this logically for a second, how fast is your second shot target re-acquisition going to be in the DARK (where most personal defense situations happen anyway) when you've just blinded yourself (and destroyed your night vision) with your own muzzle flash.

Just something to think about. I've never shot a ported XD, but I know the ports on the Glock C models really throw out some serious fire and it's BRIGHT in a dark room, you can see spots in front of your eyes after you shoot it. It's better to learn to controll the recoil with your wrist and practice faster double taps at the range than to rely on an element of design to do it for you.
Very good point. I guess it would make a good daytime gun, but I need 24/7. The roaches come out at night.

(BusaCruise @ Oct. 07 2006,22:flamethrowing:) it was an easy choice .... .40 CAL of the year.....and my 9MM 3" sub compact for personal carry.

all the greatness of the "other brand" without obnoxious $$$

PortedLarge.jpg
$.
One shot with that one at night and you'll be blind for a few seconds,ported barrels are good for race guns but prolly not the best for tactical puposes.

Kind of like this NJ?
SHOCKED.gif

You have to admit it does look pretty cool, but for personal defense it's a no no in my book. Plus you have to remember that those ports are going to throw crap all over you all the time. Any time I shoot my friends ported 9mm or .45 I get a face full of hot powder residue.

GlockC22.jpg

Man, I'm glad I mentioned the ported model. I never shot one before so no idea about the flash. BIG THANKS.

(BusaCruise @ Oct. 07 2006,08
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) it was an easy choice .... .40 CAL of the year.....and my 9MM 3" sub compact for personal carry.

all the greatness of the "other brand" without obnoxious $$$

PortedLarge.jpg
$.
i own one of these also it is by far one of the best shooting guns right out of the box i have ever shot, taught a friend of mine how to shoot with it and she bought one to not the ported one we have the xd40

Back