HI - Point .40 cal anyone own one??????

Chris79761TX

Registered
I went browsing around the local toy store and was looking for an AR15 for my wife's birthday and they had a couple HI-Point .40 cal's in stock and when I saw the price was like WTF $195.00 NIB. I love my Ruger .40. The store owner heard some good reviews on these. I am thinking about getting one looked at their website looks ok. Does anyone own one of these or know anyone that has one and what is the experience with it. I figure for $200.00 it would be a good cheap home defense toy

HI -Point .40 cal.jpg

I have a hi point rifle 9mm, but haven't shot any of their pistols. They are a no frills brand.

I would get it and shoot the crap out of it to make sure it doesnt jam before I relied on it for home defense.

They are like fat girlfriends, they do everything the same as skinny ones, but you don't tell anyone you have one...

I had a high point 9mm carbine. Bought from a cop for 100$. It was fantastic. We put several thousand rounds through it with no problems. I recently shot their 9mm pistol. It's a bit clunky but shoots nice. It seems like they atee a range gun that you shoot until it breaks then toss it. :).

100% American made with lifetime warranty! The ARs are surprisingly Very Accurate. For the pricepoint the are a No Brainer. I say buy two!

They have some really good prices. Subscribed to this thread to follow the good/bad points on HI - Point.

Mine and my families life is worth more than fifty bucks worth of engineering. Pass.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum for that one Blanca. I'd rather someone had a $150 gun than no gun at all if needed..

I wouldnt use one as my carry gun. A fun to shoot at the range gun is ok though. Their carbines are a blast. I forgot to mention I only shot cheap Russian ammo with it. The ammo was very dirty and I hardly ever had issues.

Also good trainer pistol. My buddy picked up a 9mm for his 14yr old son. He learned All about care,cleaning, and shooting with his all for 130$.

Bots I'd trust a baseball bat more than that inexpensive of a gun. Just me.
Dealt with enough Jennings, Hi-points and the like on the range to convince me not to expect it to fire when needed. He said he wanted a cheap home defense toy and there are enough questionable reviews on them to make me think twice about expecting it to save my life or yours. For a cheap plinker, sure no problem.

GsxrBots said:
They are like fat girlfriends, they do everything the same as skinny ones, but you don't tell anyone you have one...

Well said...rotflmao..

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Blanca, Hi-Points aren't Jennings. Would I trade my XD or M&P for one, no. Would I keep one under the coffee table at home, just in case? Yes.

I've owned two of the 9mm handguns and never had one fail. Come to think of it, I've had more jams with my XD shooting cheap ammo than I did that HiPoint.

In my experience, these cheap guns are just that; cheap. I would never own one for protection. For cheap fun, maybe. But then again, I see older style Rugers (P-95's) for not much more than the price of HiPoint (a Ruger SR9c sits on my nightstand) To me they are like used cars-- some are ok but there are a lot of lemons, even NIB. When you get one that has issues they seem to have a lot of problems with FTF, FTE, feed problems, etc. I may go the cheap route in some places, but in defense of my home, never. But if i owned one, I would test quite a bit of ammo. Some handguns can be really particular about what kind of ammo cycles consistently.

Make a poll here, ask how many people have actually OWNED one, and how many would buy another. That should be fair, right? Seems Hi-Points always get a bad rep from people that have never owned them..

I'll start. I've owned two. I'd buy another. Would I take it out and take pictures of it at the range for my screensaver? No. Would I go out and shoot the bejeebus out of it? Sure.

Make a poll here, ask how many people have actually OWNED one, and how many would buy another. That should be fair, right? Seems Hi-Points always get a bad rep from people that have never owned them..

I'll start. I've owned two. I'd buy another. Would I take it out and take pictures of it at the range for my screensaver? No. Would I go out and shoot the bejeebus out of it? Sure.

Would you expect it to go bang if your life DEPENDED on it? Nobody including me has knocked them as a complete 'forgetaboutit' but many have answered his question. For self defense it's questionable, for plinking and shooting the beejeebus out of it fine.

Would you expect it to go bang if your life DEPENDED on it? Nobody including me has knocked them as a complete 'forgetaboutit' but many have answered his question. For self defense it's questionable, for plinking and shooting the beejeebus out of it fine.

My neighbor has a Sig P238. Every time we go shooting with it something breaks. If I had to choose between a Hi-Point .40 and her Sig Sauer to DEPEND on to save my life, yes, I'd choose the Hi-Point.

For no other reason as the fact that if the Hi-Point didn't fire, it would hurt like hell if I threw it.. :laugh:

^^^ Fine UNCLE!

Hi-Point away.

What the heck happened to AlmostthereBusa? Can't we argue over his girlfriend instead? :laugh:

Back