pistol advice

This fits my hand well, and has more than sufficient knockdown, but dayumed if I can conceal it :laugh:

minigun.jpg

I was going to say XD when I saw your post but Im guessing you have hands like an ogre if the XD isnt comfortable. Thats one of the only poly pistols that feel good in my hands. What ever you get I would recommend either .40 or 10mm for calibers. The .40 is ballisticaly superior to 9mm and the 10mm to the .40. The only drawback to 10mm is you wont find the ammo at walmart but the round is a flat shooting monster with fantastic penetration. If you do have big hands check out the Glock in 10mm, I couldnt get used to the size of the grip on the glock and Springfield has not made a XD in 10mm yet which is why I got the 40. By the way what is a tax return? I wish we could get one of those, we have to write a check for about 10 grand every year.

I was going to say XD when I saw your post but Im guessing you have hands like an ogre if the XD isnt comfortable. Thats one of the only poly pistols that feel good in my hands. What ever you get I would recommend either .40 or 10mm for calibers. The .40 is ballisticaly superior to 9mm and the 10mm to the .40. The only drawback to 10mm is you wont find the ammo at walmart but the round is a flat shooting monster with fantastic penetration. If you do have big hands check out the Glock in 10mm, I couldnt get used to the size of the grip on the glock and Springfield has not made a XD in 10mm yet which is why I got the 40. By the way what is a tax return? I wish we could get one of those, we have to write a check for about 10 grand every year.

Yes, ballistics are superior, but ammo is waay too expensive and hard to find, for a new shooter who needs to put a LOT of range time in.....

Yes, ballistics are superior, but ammo is waay too expensive and hard to find, for a new shooter who needs to put a LOT of range time in.....

Actually I was going to mention that but forgot. I wouldnt make it my first gun or spend a ton of range time with it unless I reloaded the cartridge. I would though make it my go to and carry gun if I had one. 10mm Ammo should be easy enough to find at sportsmans or any decent gun shop.

If you ever happen to have a SV40E for sale, let me know.

Just sold one of those a few months ago.. The new SD40VE has a way nicer feel and is only $350 new at Cabelas and the other big box stores. Should be even cheaper at a local dealer....

Just sold one of those a few months ago.. The new SD40VE has a way nicer feel and is only $350 new at Cabelas and the other big box stores. Should be even cheaper at a local dealer....

Thank you Bots, but he knows what I mean. There is some history there. :laugh:

I'm actually looking at the LC9 for a pistol easy to conceal. or the LCP380, but i like the LC9 frame since its a little bigger for my sasquatch hands

If you get the lc9 you may want to get a trigger bar from Galloway. The LC9 has a terribly long trigger pull.

The S&W M&P Shield 9 is on my short list. My local Cabelas has some....even had $30 off Black Friday.....man I was tempted.

I may get one "for the wife", and tell her she can pick between the lc9 and the shield....lol

The S&W M&P Shield 9 is on my short list. My local Cabelas has some....even had $30 off Black Friday.....man I was tempted. I may get one "for the wife", and tell her she can pick between the lc9 and the shield....lol

I love my lc9 but would give it up in a heartbeat for a shield. No comparison in shooting comfort.

Local gun shop sells 'em for $379 when he gets them in stock. One of these days. I just can't justify having two 9mm carry only guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I have a Shield (9MM), but not a fan of it. Too big for the pocket, although flatter than a Glock for IWB carry. But the biggest reason is, since I'm used to the 'grip angle' of the Glock, the Shield's is a different angle, so I don't get that natural 'point' that I'm familiar with. Some Shields have had feed issues (mine certainly did). And it does not have the PROVEN service life that the Glock design does...

I have a Shield (9MM), but not a fan of it. Too big for the pocket, although flatter than a Glock for IWB carry. But the biggest reason is, since I'm used to the 'grip angle' of the Glock, the Shield's is a different angle, so I don't get that natural 'point' that I'm familiar with. Some Shields have had feed issues (mine certainly did). And it does not have the PROVEN service life that the Glock design does...

Some of the earlier manufactured ones did have feed issues. This very much underlines why you should run several rounds through it before depending on it as a duty weapon or defensive use. I have ran 250-300 though mine without an issue, but mine is at least a year newer than yours.

Although the Glocks do have a proven service life that does not mean they have been problem free.
Recalls of the 1st generations 17/19s in the early 90s.
Recoil spring issues in the early Gen 4
Chipped/Cracked firing pins being reported recently
3rd generation extraction issues
The single stack .45 was recalled, I don't remember the model number.

Every manufacturers have had some issues at times. I'm not knocking Glocks, I've owned a few but the grip angle just is not comfortable for me. I've owned enough S&W autos that I never felt I could depend on the them. Starting with the 39 and 59, then to a 469. and a 6904 after that. I honestly never felt comfortable with a Smith auto until getting turned on the M&Ps. My SIGs and M&Ps just "point" better for me. I truly believe a person has to find what works for them.
I don't think a person can go wrong with a Glock, M&P, or XD as long as they feel comfortable with it, and prove its reliability, (both with the ammo they plan to carry and practice ammo) They still have a responsibility to keep up with issues related to the weapon and inspect or have inspected as needed.

I'm a big fan of the M&P Series for entry level shooters and experts. The Shield appears to be very close in size to the C model from the side. Flip them over and it really shows the difference.

For what is worth group size tightens significantly as you move from the Shield, to the Compact,to the full size, and then to the Pro. There are two Pro versions. This one is the same size as the full-size. The other Pro model has a 5" barrel. I have Apex triggers to install in the Shield and Compact when I get the time, which should help a bit.

Also the Shield in .40 is quite the handful. I recommend sticking with a 9.

2013-12-06 08.30.43.jpg

2013-12-06 08.32.06.jpg

2013-12-06 08.32.33.jpg

Wow, i've never seen a glock do that (i wonder what that guy did to cause THAT?)...

Professor: You are right- a lot of this comes down to individual preference. For you, the M&P naturally 'points'; for me the Glock does; most likely due to the amount of time/rounds you've practiced/shot it.

IMHO: An advantage with the M&P is a better safety than the Glock. The big picture I got out of it for the OP is that a) go with 9 MM and b) spend the rest of your $$ on ammo and range time FIRST rather than some of the more fancy farkles. Since this is the OP's first time to consider CCW, spending $$ on being more proficient and understanding your legal responsibilities in a shoot situation would be well spent.

Back