Any preference on 40

oeballer50

Registered
Any preference on 40. Cals

In the process of getting my pistol permit decided to head to the local gun shop and see what they had. I've been doing a lot of research and was stuck between the Springfield xd 40, the ruger sr40, and the smith & wesson m&p 40. My friend has the xd and absolutely loves it so I Was leaning more towards that but after getting my paws on the m&p I decided that's what I was going with not to mention the gun shop just got a used m&p 40 in the day before. So for roughly 200 bucks cheaper I got myself a like brand new smith & wesson m&p 40! :thumbsup: now I just have to wait till my paperwork goes through till I can pick it up :banghead: I know I'm not the only gun nut here anybody have any preference to their 40.cals if so what and why??

I just bought me Glock 27 a couple weeks ago and love the CRAP out of it

congrats on the new purchase :beerchug:

Whatever you buy, buy every box of ammo available.
I know that kinda goes without saying anymore.

I have a few coworkers that work at our local sheriffs department and if I remember correctly the sheriffs carry glock 22's and from what they said they love them I've personally had no experience with them although I did have my eye on one at the shop price was just a little steep for me

There's a reason for that. The 22 is too big for what ur doin. 27 brother / mag extender and get this any 22, 23, 27 mag will slide in and lock :laugh:

If you are looking at the Springfield XD 40, you really should look at the XDM 40 -- it is much more refined and a whole lot more fun to shoot. That MP40 you are picking up is also a fine piece of hardware.

Unlike many of the posters above, I am not much of a fan of the Glocks. I don't really like how they fit in my hand.

--Sky

If you are looking at the Springfield XD 40, you really should look at the XDM 40 -- it is much more refined and a whole lot more fun to shoot. That MP40 you are picking up is also a fine piece of hardware.

Unlike many of the posters above, I am not much of a fan of the Glocks. I don't really like how they fit in my hand.

--Sky

+1

The Glocks are awsome but like the fit of the XD in my hand. Seems to be more of a natural point of aim. XD40 here but yes, the XDM is a bit nicer! You cant go wrong with Glock or Springfield though. Go hold them both and shoot them if you can. Go with what feels best to you.

--Sky

They're not designed for little girlie hands :laugh:

No in all seriousness you will be hard pressed to find a better weapon, but you definitely need to be comfortable with what you run, and extremely proficient.

I have held my buddies xd and it felt good but after holding the m&p idk just feels right I wouldn't complain about having any of three biggest thing to me was the right price and it feels comfortable in hand

They're not designed for little girlie hands :laugh:

Wow, that is the first time anyone has accused me of small hands... :laugh: most XXL motorcycle gloves are too small for my hands (which makes finding gloves a bit of challenge)

While I agree, the Glocks are good reliable handguns, I have two issues with them from personal experience. First, I've shot dozens of Glocks and even owned a couple, but I've never really handled one that felt like it fit (regardless of model or caliber). When I pick up my XDM 40, it feels like it was made for my hand. It feels like a mechanical extension of my arm when firing. The only other pistol I've felt that way about is the Dan Wesson PM7 (the Sig 226 & 227 and IWI Baby Eagle come real close).

Second, my general impression of Glocks is that they shoot loose. Regardless of how carefully I aim, manage breath & trigger, my groupings with Glocks are not as tight, or as consistent as they are when shooting other handguns. I'll admit that this may be related to my previous issue. I own a Dan Wesson 1911, a Sig 227 & 226, a pair of XDM40s (in different barrel lengths), an IWI Baby Eagle & several revolvers. As an NRA certified pistol instructor, I have fired many others. Aside from the Glocks, I don't generally have issues with consistent grouping. (That being said, I have fired some pistols that were so bad -- not Glocks -- that I could have been more accurate if I just threw the pistol at the target rather than shooting it.:whistle:)

All that being said, the most accurate pistol I've ever fired is the IWI Baby Eagle (9mm). Almost without exception, putting that pistol in someone's hands makes them more accurate. I've seen that time and time again. If you ever have the chance, run a mag of rounds through one, you'll be amazed.

--Sky

Best to get more than one :laugh: Think hard about what you will really use it for, and how it fits the bill. There is allot to be said for good deal on a decent piece, any of the above would discourage me from stealing your beer :laugh: I like a 40 for more snap than a 9, more capacity than a 45.

I've owned the Springfield XD 40 sub compact for almost 10 years of flawless operation.
It was my carry gun for many years until I bought the LCP380. The XD has become the nightstand protector.

I'm not to sure on the round itself. Price, availability, purpose. If your looking for stopping power, penetration. Things to consider before deciding on .40 pistol. Have fun. :laugh:

I carry a Glock G22 and love it. However, while looking for my younger son's 21st b-day present and consulting with my older son (Army), I decided on the M&P40. No regrets at all. Very nice gun. I'm thinking about picking up another one for myself.

Re: Any preference on 40. Cals

the XD 40 is my fav along with the 1911 defender!.........but the best handgun to carry and conceal has to be a wheel gun, 38 special snub nose:oldcool:

894_02354_bodyguard38_103038_r.jpg

Last edited:
Back