pistol advice

Yeah, I like it. I just don't like the grip angle of a Glock. Too many years shooting "normal" guns. :laugh:

But now, the 'normal' guns don't feel 'normal' anymore.

Here would be my advice:

Caliber: While there are plenty out there, at the moment 9mm appears to be the most popular, from a volume, price and performance standpoint to own. Sure, .40 and .45 are great rounds, but they also cost more, and are harder to find - look at any LGS ammo shelf and see what is most plentiful and look at the price... Since 9MM is the NATO standard, there's more of it out there than any other round.

Brands: I am a huge fan of the glock, and I've owned plenty others. What I can say about the Glock? It's east to clean and take apart; it will shoot just about ANY round (that some of my other guns would jam/misfire) and it will shoot in almost ANY condition (dirty, grungy, cold, wet)(where others would not). There are plenty of parts available, and almost anybody can work on one. And they are VERY accurate out of the box - There is a huge reason why Glocks are so popular even after all the normal 'hype'. Their only 'disadvantage' IMHO is the safety (there isn't much of one).

Nothing wrong with trying them out at the LGS for rental. For all the reasons above, I personally think a G19 is about as perfect an all-around hundgun there is...

I might also recommend replacing the trigger spring on the glock if you get one. I like a positive trigger and a clean break.

I love my Glock, but like people have pointed out they aren't for everyone. I have a 27 for a carry gun. I would recommend modifying the trigger guard if you go that route. I can post pics of mine if anyone is interested. The .40 subcompact has a bite to it and the shape of the stock trigger guard will catch your middle finger knuckle. If you want a comfy gun, don't buy a Glock. However, if you want your gun to fire every time you pull the trigger (which is more important to me, especially for a carry gun) buy a Glock!

I love my Glock, but like people have pointed out they aren't for everyone. I have a 27 for a carry gun. I would recommend modifying the trigger guard if you go that route. I can post pics of mine if anyone is interested. The .40 subcompact has a bite to it and the shape of the stock trigger guard will catch your middle finger knuckle. If you want a comfy gun, don't buy a Glock. However, if you want your gun to fire every time you pull the trigger (which is more important to me, especially for a carry gun) buy a Glock!

Yep, post the pic. My 27 is on my hip right now, but I've never had an issue with the trigger guard.

Remember, this is the OP's FIRST handgun. He will later find out that guns are like motorcycles, and everybody has different preferences/mods/etc. Let's try not to over-complicate. What he needs now is a reliable, easy to shoot and clean handgun while he learns more.

What he needs now is a reliable, easy to shoot and clean handgun while he learns more.

Yup that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Only reason I brought up the 9mm vs 40 is because a couple of the people I have talked to have said they "think" a 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power. I'm new to pistols so figured I would ask here since we have a lot of gun nuts

My next ccw........

ForumRunner_20131204_173412.png

ForumRunner_20131204_173412.png

Ask them how they feel when they've been shot by one...a 9mm has plenty of knock down power. What is required is that you hit your target. As for me, I'm gun goofy these days. Off season makes me want more.

Yup that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Only reason I brought up the 9mm vs 40 is because a couple of the people I have talked to have said they "think" a 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power. I'm new to pistols so figured I would ask here since we have a lot of gun nuts

Ask them how they feel when they've been shot by one...a 9mm has plenty of knock down power. What is required is that you hit your target. As for me, I'm gun goofy these days. Off season makes me want more.

Yea I know they haven't been shot or shot anyone so figured I would ask here because I know we have police officers and military people here that could give me better insight on this

I prefer my 30mm cannon :) Its got amazing stopping power from just over a mile away.

I'm shopping for the same thing so I like this thread. We are moving to El Paso in a few months and I though it might be time to be a Texan.

im partial to my Smith&Wesson M&P 40. i bought it direct from there shop here in Springfield and put a few thousands rounds through her. i love the 3 sized grips to fit my gorilla mitts and you could carry conceal but it's a bit large. the one major thing i can't stand is the 10lb trigger squeeze which can hinder my shot group after a hundred rounds down range. ultimately, i would like to pick up a 1911 but that would be down the road.

800px-S&W_M&P_.40_right_side.jpg

I also am a huge fan of the S&W M&P series... I have a 9mm compact and my .40 Pro Series... I carried a glock on duty for years and it is definitely a great brand but the S&W just fits like a glove.. The Pro series is the best shooting combat Tupperware I have ever had and I have carried Baretta, Smith & Wesson, Glock on duty and shot just about everything else out there... At the end of the day I could care less what it is I guarantee it's gonna hurt if you hit your target... I've been shot with a BB gun, fellas it hurts!

core.jpg

core.jpg

Yea I know they haven't been shot or shot anyone so figured I would ask here because I know we have police officers and military people here that could give me better insight on this

Myself, weather it's a .22 or .45, I think I'm going down or running for cover after I've been shot. However, I got into a conversation with a convicted felon about how he landed in prison. He was fleeing from a home invasion and was shot 3 times. His exact words "man, I didn't even feel that 9, but that 45 put me on my azz." lol

Yep, post the pic. My 27 is on my hip right now, but I've never had an issue with the trigger guard.

Remember, this is the OP's FIRST handgun. He will later find out that guns are like motorcycles, and everybody has different preferences/mods/etc. Let's try not to over-complicate. What he needs now is a reliable, easy to shoot and clean handgun while he learns more.

Haha! Maybe it's just my fat fingers! Top is before, bottom is after. Much more comfy and not so cramped feeling. It took me a while to work up the guts to start carving on my otherwise perfect gun. I love the way it turned out though. =) I also have a 19 and 17L. I like the fact that you can get barrels to shoot 9s, 40s, and 357SIG all out of a 27 (or 33?). Also, in a comparison test I saw (can't remember the publication) the Speer 9mm+P 124gr GDHP (part number 23617 or 53617 if you're LE) was one of the best rated rounds for take down power. Maybe I'm a little biased too since that's one of the rounds I make for a living. =P

trigger.jpg

Hello there, welcome to the site my new friend :)

Haha! I wish I could sell ammo without the risk of losing my job. They are pretty picky about employees selling discounted product. Since so many people have been buying ammo in the last couple years it's hard even for me to get exactly what I want. Pretty much factory 2nds whenever they are available. When I first started I could order anything I wanted from CCI, Speer, Federal, and a few others at a big discount with no limit. Those were the days! =)

Haha! I wish I could sell ammo without the risk of losing my job. They are pretty picky about employees selling discounted product. Since so many people have been buying ammo in the last couple years it's hard even for me to get exactly what I want. Pretty much factory 2nds whenever they are available. When I first started I could order anything I wanted from CCI, Speer, Federal, and a few others at a big discount with no limit. Those were the days! =)

I would never ask you to sell ammo... I would love to see some pics of what you do or even the biggest pile of ammo you can find.. That's a very in demand job right now as you know!

I would never ask you to sell ammo... I would love to see some pics of what you do or even the biggest pile of ammo you can find.. That's a very in demand job right now as you know!

Due to our Gov't contracts we aren't allowed to take photos inside the plant. =( They let a film crew in a few years ago to film our rimfire dept. I think it was Shooting USA? There are a couple videos on youtube, but unless you know the process, it's hard to see the details of how things are made. Trade secrets and all that. =)

Back