HI - Point .40 cal anyone own one??????

ive had both of hi point and jennings hi point no prob still have it to this day over 10 years with no prob that other crap the first mag of rounds the mag fell out than a jam then the mag release i took it to a shop they said that they inc. would not even cover them with a bryco jennings in the biulding .............go hipoint its the wife ruger for me

Home defense? Can't beat this:

2012-01-26_10-20-14_92.jpg

This seems oddly familiar to a chinese rotor thread... "my life depends it". I do believe my rotors are holding up fantastically with almost 6k miles and a lot of hard riding. You cannot simply judge something by its price almost every time. <-- notice i said almost every time because some cheap things are just that, cheap.

They look way too bulky to carry and do look cheap but if they work, that is all that matters.

Personally I am looking at a Ruger or Barretta.

Bots I'd trust a baseball bat more than that inexpensive of a gun. Just me.
Dealt with enough Jennings, Hi-points and the like on the range to convince me not to expect it to fire when needed. He said he wanted a cheap home defense toy and there are enough questionable reviews on them to make me think twice about expecting it to save my life or yours. For a cheap plinker, sure no problem.

ive been hit in the head with a bat and the easiest way past a bat is just rush the person and get inside of the bat. They arent good guns by any means but for a drawer gun they work. I wouldnt buy one unless it was just for my shop or something that i hope i never need.

My father also got his permit to carry when I did, and didn't want to spend a bunch of money on his 1st handgun. I'd been reading up on Hi-Points and they just so happened to have a 9mm compact at one of our local stores. It was the last one they had. I figured this would be the perfect way for me to get my hands on one and test it out for myself so I could have my own say when it comes to the back and forth regarding Hi-Point guns. He bought it for a little over 140 OTD.
The first day we took it out to the range, the results were disheartening to say the least. At 15 yards out, neither one of us were able to mark on the paper. At this same distance with my Sig1911 or XD40sc, I can easily hit 3-4 bullseyes with the same amount of shots. To be quite honest, we put it back in the case immediately and continued shooting with the others I had brought. I was so pissed about it's performance, I immediately began searching online as soon as we got back from the range and found their user's forum. Hipoint Firearms Forums After doing some reading, the gun's poor performance could almost certainly be narrowed down to the rear sights needing to be adjusted, or a manufacturing failure.
So the next trip to the range, I took along a mini flathead screwdriver to make the necessary adjustments to those rear sights. After about 30 minutes of dialing them in, that same Hi-Point was performing the same as my other guns. I brought my dad back out to the range and set him back up at 15 yds, and his first shot was a bullseye. He probably put 200 rds through it that afternoon, without issue. He loves it, and I enjoy shooting it because it's a lighter rd than any other gun I have, so it's much easier for controlled grouping.
FWIW...chances are, a Hi-Point firearm straight out of the box isn't going to perform to expectations until the sights are properly adjusted. More than likely, it's been tampered with and handled more than a 2 dollar w#0re because of all the speculation and questions surrounding them. Would it be my first choice for a handgun? Probably not, but if I had less than 150 to spend on a gun, I'd certainly go with a Hi-Point. When you pull the trigger, it does go BOOM. The accuracy is up to the owner spending the time to sight it in. I think there's a huge difference between identifying value and being a brand manufacturer snob. Different strokes for different folks. I could've gotten 8 Hi-Points for my 1911...and there's situations or reasons where that would be much more beneficial. I guess my final thoughts are...I've yet to hear a true owner of a Hi-Point be dissatisfied. I'd rather have it than nothing when the situation calls for it, because if nothing else, it will fire. What more can you ask for for $130 and a lifetime warranty?

Bots was dead on with his girlfriend analogy. Go ahead and go get you a BIG GURL!!!!!! She'll do you right and won't leave with empty pockets.

Like I said and it is my opinion. I was range master at the busiest place around for approx 8 yrs and taught cwp classes at gun shows for 2. I'm happy all of you has had good experiences with your hi point guns. But ask yourself this. A gun that sells for $140 otd, how much did it cost to manufacture? How much engineering went into it? What materials is it made with? For $140 otd it means to me it cost $100 to dealer. It means to me that about $50 worth of engineering went into it. Yep it may go bang and if you adjust your sights it may hit the target but for me personally as I already stated my life is worth more than $50 of engineering and a gun that's made with same metal as hot wheels toy cars. I had a Jennings J22 and it was one of my favorite little guns. I think I paid $25 for it new in box. It worked and worked well. But in the middle of the night when milliseconds count as well as lives of me or ones dear to me I'm going to use a design, a make, a model that's been torture tested to nauseum. I'll bet my life on a Beretta or a Sig or a Colt or something akin that order and plink with a Hi-point.
There is no agency, army or dept issuing Hi-points to their personnel. Everyone has turned this into a hi-point reliability issue and not addresses the op's original question which was is it good enough for self defense. When lives are on the line I still say no.

Like I said and it is my opinion. I was range master at the busiest place around for approx 8 yrs and taught cwp classes at gun shows for 2. I'm happy all of you has had good experiences with your hi point guns. But ask yourself this. A gun that sells for $140 otd, how much did it cost to manufacture? How much engineering went into it? What materials is it made with? For $140 otd it means to me it cost $100 to dealer. It means to me that about $50 worth of engineering went into it. Yep it may go bang and if you adjust your sights it may hit the target but for me personally as I already stated my life is worth more than $50 of engineering and a gun that's made with same metal as hot wheels toy cars. I had a Jennings J22 and it was one of my favorite little guns. I think I paid $25 for it new in box. It worked and worked well. But in the middle of the night when milliseconds count as well as lives of me or ones dear to me I'm going to use a design, a make, a model that's been torture tested to nauseum. I'll bet my life on a Beretta or a Sig or a Colt or something akin that order and plink with a Hi-point.
There is no agency, army or dept issuing Hi-points to their personnel. Everyone has turned this into a hi-point reliability issue and not addresses the op's original question which was is it good enough for self defense. When lives are on the line I still say no.

he actually asked what were peoples experience with it (which I took as in general) and then he said he would use it as cheap HD. Also while i agree with you on a tried and tested weapons system im not sure I agree with how you arrived at $50 worth of engineering lol. and I still maintain that ANY firearm not properly maintained, properly shot, or fed good ammo, will properly fail the operator.

he actually asked what were peoples experience with it (which I took as in general) and then he said he would use it as cheap HD. Also while i agree with you on a tried and tested weapons system im not sure I agree with how you arrived at $50 worth of engineering lol. and I still maintain that ANY firearm not properly maintained, properly shot, or fed good ammo, will properly fail the operator.

Just a simple guess only tryin to make a point.

So obviously there are different schools of thought and opinions regarding the need for a firearm. As one should, I thought long and hard about my purpose for concealed carry. I've never really had an occasion or instance where I've felt threatened in public to the point where I'd feel the need to use a gun. I feel pretty confident in my ability to defend myself in most situations where weapons aren't present, and I don't typically find myself in places where someone is liable to unlawfully have one and have a reason or purpose to use it. Similarly, as to why I don't carry hot. I love seeing on most messageboards when someone posts that they don't carry hot how it may as well be a piece of jewelry, body ornament, etc. From my perspective, the possibility of an accidental discharge FAR outweighs the possibility of someone attacking me off-guard. I've taken bats to the face and been stabbed before, which gives me confidence that I'd be able to rack the slide in almost any situation where I wouldn't just outright get shot.
In all practicality and in most of our cases, the application of the gun that we are talking about (outside of the trips to the range which turn into several trips often times just to justify the pricey purchase) is only going to see one clip of "necessary" action. After that, it's either going to be confiscated for evidence (which you will surely never see again) or you'll be in a casket and unable to use it any longer. People have this vision of themselves walking around like Bullet Tooth Tony in Snatch firing off rounds at will with no consequence, and that this weapon is going to see all this action. In fact, I hardly even carry anymore because the criteria necessary along with the need to use equal force is basically non-existent, unless I decide to make it so in my head.
I just don't see the need to spend a bunch of money on a handgun unless you just like showing it off. And yes, I do have a Sig too. :laugh:

So obviously there are different schools of thought and opinions regarding the need for a firearm. As one should, I thought long and hard about my purpose for concealed carry. I've never really had an occasion or instance where I've felt threatened in public to the point where I'd feel the need to use a gun. I feel pretty confident in my ability to defend myself in most situations where weapons aren't present, and I don't typically find myself in places where someone is liable to unlawfully have one and have a reason or purpose to use it. Similarly, as to why I don't carry hot. I love seeing on most messageboards when someone posts that they don't carry hot how it may as well be a piece of jewelry, body ornament, etc. From my perspective, the possibility of an accidental discharge FAR outweighs the possibility of someone attacking me off-guard. I've taken bats to the face and been stabbed before, which gives me confidence that I'd be able to rack the slide in almost any situation where I wouldn't just outright get shot.
In all practicality and in most of our cases, the application of the gun that we are talking about (outside of the trips to the range which turn into several trips often times just to justify the pricey purchase) is only going to see one clip of "necessary" action. After that, it's either going to be confiscated for evidence (which you will surely never see again) or you'll be in a casket and unable to use it any longer. People have this vision of themselves walking around like Bullet Tooth Tony in Snatch firing off rounds at will with no consequence, and that this weapon is going to see all this action. In fact, I hardly even carry anymore because the criteria necessary along with the need to use equal force is basically non-existent, unless I decide to make it so in my head.
I just don't see the need to spend a bunch of money on a handgun unless you just like showing it off. And yes, I do have a Sig too. :laugh:

I always tell the security classes I teach that I have the hardest job in the world...i have to keep your attention, teach you about and prepare you for something that you know PROBABLY wont happen. I just have to make you ready for when and if it does.

If you go in any establishment that does cash transactions youre in a place where someone would be likely to use a fire arm unlawfully...

and Snatch/bullet tooth tony- classic "and since your guns have replica written down the side of them.... and mine says desert eagle point five 0..." lol

Back