2024 Pashnit Touring on a Hayabusa

DSC04180(2).jpg

DSC04181(2).jpg

DSC04183(2).jpg

We didn't get far.

DSC04188.jpg

But, what's more interesting than the yellow and brown stripped hills of Zabriskie Point?

The truck in the parking lot, low rider pickup with low rider camper in tow? And diesel. And it had horns. And it had a wood board for a bumper. And it was from Texas. The best part was the lariat attached to the side of the pickup bed. Never know when you're going to need to lasso something.

DSC04186.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

View attachment 1680577

View attachment 1680579

Finally, you pop out of the canyon and drop down to the main road. Death Valley is famous for these canyons. The majority of them are not paved & the haven of the ADV sect. I'm constantly getting grief as to why I'm leading motorcycle tours on a Hayabusa and not a BMW GS. A whole new world will open up to you. Yah, I know. But I'm good. I'll keep my red Hayabusa for now. :laugh:

View attachment 1680578
GS? Pfff... You won't get an adventure just by a bike genre says so. Hayabusa? Well... Dunno... At least in comparison with the GS the handlebar is connected to the forks. :D

Anyway, numbers don't lie. New world is more PC than ever. GS is the king of PC bikes.:poke:

Every time we ride to Dante's View, it reminds me of a few years back to 2021, as we rode up to the summit & found ourselves surrounded in a light dusting of snow, then an additional bonus, to be greeted with very high winds coming over the crest of the range. I didn't bring my wind gauge but I did bring my buddy Peter and the wind sock on his head which immediately reminded me of wind socks on a firing range. If the sock is straight, like Peter's, how fast is the wind? We were just supposed to know stuff like that. The wind in 2021 was fierce, and cold. The riders in the tour group walked up to the edge, looked down 5575 ft below us at Badwater Basin (which is below sea level) & I asked, Okay, ya seen it?

They said yes. I said, perfect, Let's go, and we left. It was freezing cold! That particular tour in 2021, we left the snow and high winds behind and dropped down in elevation to warmer temps.

DSC05876.jpg

This visit, no wind, no punctured radiators, just perfect spring temps, but we got to look down on Lake Manly, the temporary lake several inches deep that covers Badwater Basin we had been walking through earlier in the day. On very clear days, the highest and lowest points in the contiguous 48 states of the United States: Mount Whitney at 14,505 ft and Badwater Basin at -282 ft, can be seen at the same time. No one wanted to walk the 400 vertical feet up to the top of Dantes Peak to take in the 360 degree view from the peak.

The temporary Lake Manly below is covering Badwater Basin

DSC04248.jpg

By mid-afternoon, this road was lined with parked cars & people walking out to the lake

DSC04249.jpg

I’m with Mark. I can’t stand litterbugs and just about anywhere I happen to stop when I’m out I see litter. Some years ago I had the opportunity to see justice done, twice. Was very gratifying.

Yah, Ivan will always be a d!ck. And I've learned from Mark to pick up one piece of trash every time we ride.
Such a simple thing.
Probably a good habit to get into.

DSC04260.jpg

Back