What's Changed? My point of view

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello all,
I have been thinking about a lot of things lately... I have intentionally not posted anything since the bash because I wanted to make sure that I addressed a few things to the members here.. I have sat back and watched and thought about a few comments that were made at the bash and why things are the way they are. I can only give feedback to the members, my role on this site is simple, I provide a place to hang out, I have made that same comment for years now....

I know in my own life and my time on this site I have seen many many people come and go. I have seen men that I considered great friends get a bike, get involved on the site and then for whatever reason sell the bike for something else or just get out of motorcycles all together. I have had the honor of meeting many of these folks and I am better for it...

One of the comments that I heard at the bash this year was that the group didn't seem to be as tight as we had been in the past. I can tell you what I think the problems are but your opinion is just as important as mine, I look foreward to hearing from others and to hear what you think the causes are..

Personally I see the W.I.F.M. attitude around here more today than in the past.. What is W.I.F.M. you ask, Whats In It For Me

The thing about this website that has set itself apart from others was the common desire to make things better. The feeling that we were all a part of something greater than any one person could be was a great feeling. Have we lost that attitude around here? To an extent I think we have, we have lost some great members for many different reasons. I think that the economy, stress, time and the motorcycle industry in general have all played a role in the changes of the group here...

I look at Hayabusa.org just like an emotional bank account. Am I putting more energy in savings each month or am I pulling more out. Am I giving back to the group or am I constantly complaining and solving problems or am I the problem...

How many remember the days of the pay it forward thread or when people would just send you something in the mail because they knew you needed it. How about the days when folks would rally around a common cause because they knew it was the right thing to do?

I think that we all have it in us, I think that we all want to be better each day and to take pride in a site that we all contribute to.

When the question at the bash about the group not being as close as we have been in the past I immediatley started looking at my own bank account. What do I mean when I say my bank account?

1. Do you spend time welcoming new members to the site?
2. Do you offer suggestions and answers to people even though the same question has been asked a thousand times before.
3. Do you always seem to receive good things from members of the site and if so do you put back to others as much as you receive?
4. When is the last time that you reached out to someone new for no reason at all, simply to welcome them to the site.

As I mentioned above I have seen this site go through waves of transitions over time.. We have seen this same phase before and we will get through it again..

What I find to be interesting though is when we have these transitions there is also a transformation in roles here on the site. People that yesterday were the new guy are today the folks stepping up and leading by example. I mean at some point each of you have to stop being the newbie on the site and you are now one of the older guys with all the history... I think what we have is folks that need to realize that maybe they are that guy....

I was proud to see folks this year taking members that were at the bash for the first time and riding with them for a half a day just to show them around, that is definately a deposit into the account. People cooking for others, again a deposit... In the end its an honor to serve out fellow members, true leadership is all about serving other people.

To sum it up I have to ask each of you how your Hayabusa.org account is doing, are you rich in friendships or are you over drawn?

The membership has time and time again risen to the occasion, I have complete belief that you all will continue to make this place great but I think there are some folks that need to decide what role they need to fill.....

In the end while I own the domain name and manage the servers you own the overall attitude and demeanor of the site... What do you want it to be and how much effort are you willing to put out to make it what you want it to be?

You folks are awesome....

cap

Good points.
A group is only as strong as it's members.
I feel all the members are equal, even the new guys.
No one was born knowing anything about motorcycles.
We all learned it in some way - we are all on our own learning curve.
I have learned a lot here and try and pay it back whenever I can.
Thanks Cap for the wise words! :beerchug:

Most of the Guys I used to hang out with on the Org are gone now. OZZ, PARDINI, GREYROCKET, etc. They have all gone from the Org for Different Reasons. I for one look at this place as an Escape from the Real World and a chance to Communicate to other People from around the Globe. CAP......There is No Easy Answer....................

Good points.
A group is only as strong as it's members.
I feel all the members are equal, even the new guys.
No one was born knowing anything about motorcycles.
We all learned it in some way - we are all on our own learning curve.
I have learned a lot here and try and pay it back whenever I can.

+100 :thumbsup:

I can say that I have found a number of people here that I know if given the chance to meet in person I would call them friend. Being that distance separates many of us...this place is the only way we can stay in touch and in doing so we build relationships that are as close to "family" as our own.

I want to thank you Doug for the house you have provided and the opportunity it gives us to come together. I do hope that I can make one of the bashes and shake hands, hug necks and tell jokes with all of you. Since I am on the opposite coast of the bash...

Thank you Doug and thank you to all the members who have made my life a richer and better experience for getting to know you.

Well,
I for one am severely overdrawn... I was just thinking today about some of the things that I used to go out of my way to do for people... and how I don't anymore; some of the ideas that I have had and let slip away.

There are a lot of ways that I feel like I don't carry my weight around here; that I haven't for awhile. It is hard for me to push/encourage others when I feel like I am so slack.

I will say that I think the 60/40 split has reversed for me; it used to be 60/40 helping/policing; now it is opposite, if not worse than that. Things have been good and quiet for a little while (must be good weather out)
I will say that if anyone has any suggestions for me on the things that I can do to better help people, then please - let me know - here, in a PM, on the phone or swing on by -

We can have a member of the month type deal where everyone votes. Recipient will get a little sticker to put on their bike like kills on the side of an old war bird. :laugh: I've been a member of several different sites throughout the years and I can honestly say this is if not the best, one of the best. I hope to stick around here for years, or hell even decades to come. :thumbsup:

As always Doug, spoken from the heart. :thumbsup:

I'll admit, I was a skeptic when Grumpy said to me, "I'm going to NC for the Bash" I said, "Ummm, okay." :laugh: (Secretly thanking the higher power that we had a good insurance policy on him) :whistle: He was traveling alone to ride with people he'd never met! Then when he returned from his trip safe he told me that it was an awesome time and that I should go the following Spring. This is where I had the opportunity to meet some awesome people.

First person I met? BABUSA! This guy that flew from CA to NC to buy his Busa and ride it home at the end of his week. ???
Then there was Lycan....and all those rolls! :rofl:
99Busa and his cheese :poke: .....and finally Captain and Kristie :thumbsup:. I was so excited to finally meet another woman! :cheerleader:
Of course then there was BOB (wasn't sure why they called her that....someone had to tell me what it stood for....duh!!). I never even really had a chance to meet Jules that week. Who would've known that I'd come to call all of these people my friends?

All of these men and women (and a ton more along the way) are people that I am proud to say have become my (and Grumpy's) friends.

Yes, things here have changed. The world around us is ever changing....that "real life" is going to trickle in. However, I do think that we can get back to the way it used to be. Where Lavinrac isn't alone in chat anymore and people can speak without others jumping down their throats because something "rubbed them the wrong way". :thumbsup:

To answer your question....I certainly feel as though I should give more. I'm going to make it a point to welcome the newbies as often as I can.....say Happy Birthday just to brighten someone's day, etc.

Well, I have seen a lot here in the last 2 years! It is still a better place to be then any other site I have been on! Gixxer.com is an example.... I have less then 250 posts there. Guys are less willing to help out.... a bunch of punks! Here it is totally different! I do my best to help when I can... and I get it back from others that I have never met or met at the bash! Its better to put a face with a name, and then meet them in person! For me it changes everything! The bash did that for me! The org has been good to me! I do what I can and have no regrets! But I know things change.... life out side of here does that! There will be times I can spend all day here... and days I never post... just look and click off! But on my end I am doing what I can......

Doug, I don't think it's so bad (at least, not on the surface it isn't). I think things ebb and flow; like you said, some leave, other's step up. I'm certain the economy has effected many; but it will overcome itself. You are STILL DOING THE RIGHT THING - everything else comes secondary and will WORK ITSELF OUT.

I thought the people at the bash were plenty tight. You may have had some complaints, but how are you not with, how many thousand members/posts? Given human nature, it's not possible that SOMEONE isn't upset about SOMETHING. But, like I said, it will still work itself out. The .org is a great site.

Great words Doug!
I have owned many bikes in my 30 plus years, but have never been on a site such as this. Since my first post announcing my arrival to the site, I have since had nothing but great things. I have not had the opportunity to attend any of the bashes, and now being in Germany, it will be a few more years before I return to the states. Right now my wife is trying to please everyone, including herself, but is getting frustrated in the process. From what I have read, you are doing a great job. I honestly think that W.I.F.M. attitude has spread across this great nation of ours, but I think that if we as a little group here, continue the pay it forward attitude, it will spread. I know I am trying to teach my children that, that sometimes you just do things cause it is the right thing to do, and not what you can gain from it. Again, great job, I think this site is awesome, and I look forward to many years, and to making many friends here!
Thanks for your time!
Tony:thumbsup:

You truly express somethings there Cap, this site is one of the best sites out there. Besides it push me over the edge to buy my Black K9 over that Kawi. Everytime I post up something rather it be a stupid noob question I get either the right answer or pointed in the right direction. From a member that this site has helped me out you will always have rotten apples in a bunch.

Out of all the sites that I've gone to, and by the way there are many, This is the only one that I am more dedicated to than anything since military life. I have met some of the greatest people, attended a bash for the first time, learned so much more about my bike than I would have on my own, and most of all I constantly try to do better and ride better because of all of your advice that you may give to someone or that you have given to someone. The bash was something that I needed personally. Since my accident and then winter coming about I hadn't got on my bike for a long twisty ride until going to the bash. You are absolutely right you don't forget how to do something you just misplace it until you have to do it. It may sound cheesy to some but I am thankful that we went to the bash. Thanks to most of you I want to go to the track now. Ok ground rules I don't wanna be Shane or Warbird II just yet. However, it is something to look forward too. ? . ? ! maybe I don't know. I just love to ride my bike because of the way it handles, the way it just flows through the air it seems, the way it sounds. etc...

Thanks to all of you I'm starting to feel like I know something again. LOL :thumbsup::bowdown::cheerleader:

O and my hyperactivity is a plus for my bike and it's reputation. They go hand in hand I think. LMAO :rofl:

Excellent post Doug!!!

For us members, I believe the spirit should be to always add value, thereby enriching the Hayabusa experience for all involved.

Your sensitivity is highly regarded; I for one have not noticed the negative member element, perhaps just because life is simply too short to go there, so rather spend time with all the good your site offers.

Heidi and I are a bit thin this year, moved across country, new jobs, building house, sorry about that. We will be back though, next year.

Last edited:
Always a great thing to communicate how you feel. Not too common in mainstream society these days. Great job Cap! We tend to bottle it up and when we get shaken, like soda, the top pops and fizzzzz...we make a mess. Bottom line, we are all sensitive, just have different ways of managing/sharing/hiding it.

From my experience here, sounds like the majority of the longtimers show real maturity. Like others have eluded to, most Forums have a lot of immature people, with not too much wisdom in their words. This place is not very common, that's why I come back.

I think this is a great Post, and will create a bit of inspiration for some of us to step up. For some this site is more than just the Bike, after all, it is just a fast motorcycle. Leave your ego at the door, welcome to Hayabusa.org.

How about a Happy Mother's Day all the Mom's.

I hope I am at least breaking even. I know I haven't put in as much over the past 6 months as I used to. Life just seems to get in the way a lot lately.

Doug , There is only so much 1 man can do & You have given us an outlet to share Ideas , Memories & Opinions about pretty much anything we can think of. For that I Thank You ! Meeting people from the Org @ Various Busa meeting or rides is a great feeling , being able to share a common bond . For everyone I have personally met I Thank You for the greatest time on 2 wheels! I would do anything for MY FAMILY here . I think those who join and put in the time will reap the benefits of all the great people here and the help they provide to make us all better people & riders. This is not about "I" or "ME" but "US". I have met some of the greatest friends here on the Org and wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING. Thanks Everyone :bowdown:

times are tougher and change is the only constant...i've been on Oren and this site for the past 5 years...it was the early years when the mighty busa OWNED all the buzz...the Gen 1's release was the buzz...it was such a huge performance jump in one huge step...something special..and we all knew we were part of something special and much larger than ourselves...great folks rushing to the aid of others...such as Nitrous Junkie...GixerHp...as by 1st busa riding buds Dakine (went drag then sold) and RideorFish...(sold and went harley)....both seem a couple years ago..ah the old days..a fleeting memory...all the 1st folks who "just hadta have a busa"..had lotsa love, dedication and?...."passion"...and for some reason?...the level of passion has seemed to diminish with time...a lots happened...ZX14's hit the scene...then the GenII's...and the "special factor" seemed to get diluted....seen the same thing happen to a degree with the ZRX crew...1st the ZRX1100R came out..for 2 years...then?..the ZRX1200R came out with a few subtle changes..but changes that were unwanted by the charter crew purists..swingarm changes..some sorta ugly shid brown coatings were polished aluminum once resided...little things that meant alot and drifted away from the originality of the eddie lawson re-release race replica...and caused division within the ranks...go figure..even with some dudes who owned the original 1100's refusing to replace downed bikes with the 1200...they'd buy used first...like trying to pry a guy off his original '99 coppertop busa...it just ain't the same...a different aura exists..confirming..that time and passion levels have indeed..."changed".

leaving one to the sad reality of fond memories...VMan...WarBaby...RSD...and dare i say?...Phantom12?...LOL!

does that jar some memories for you old dawgs out there? LOL!

life goes on...and one day Oren & I will be TV reality show stars...on a lil show named...

"This Old Busa"

:rofl: :poke:

it's life...it goes on...and god help me but...my next bike might be a Harley...the only bike i've never owned...l8r, bill.

Back