Trying to quit smoking!

Hang in there Gixer, no back sliding, I did it 7 years ago. I used mints for the first week or so. Key is ZERO smoking. Not as hard as everyone says, you just need to be resolute. First three days are the worst.

Some say its easier to quit heroin,than smokes.I started smoking again after brain injury. Stared smoking after me Mom died. Started smokin again after me Bro died. I have actually quit numerous times.Its lifes little kick to the balls here and there that gets me smoking again.

Watch out for stressful situations.
Stay away from other smokers.
Start exersizing right away,even thou your lungs feel like they are on fire.
Stay away from boose and bars.
Stay away from the things that go hand in hand for you with smoking.Forinstance,my shop.I always light up there.

I tried the gum,mints,etc. Found out that beef jerky was my ticket to freedom.:thumbsup:

Good luck bro.

RSD.

My only contribution to stop smoking is... My Fiance is weeks from... Lung Cancer is getting the best of her. Ahh yes, she just turned 30... Cancer don't give a crap about how long you smoked... There is a point in ones life where they really need to come face to face with reality and admit smoking has no positive attributes.

i just quit smoking myself. tough battle but you have to really want to. drugs were easier to quit that smoking. go for it man, good luck! and just think of all the toys you can buy with the smokes money!

I started smoking as teenager and smoked a pack or so a day for 20 years. I had quit for a few years in my 20s but thought I could smoke socially without getting addicted again. I was wrong. One cigarette leads back to a pack a day again.

I quit smoking again on July 1, 2003. Cold turkey was my method choice. It's about changing your habits. Not just smoking, but all of your habits. Disrupting your normal chain of activities. Removing the triggers that make you want a smoke. I used the time away from work recovering from a crash to quit since my entire day was different from normal. I wouldn't recommend that as an approach.

Gixerhp, nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on this earth. The other part of the addictive process that is hard to deal with is the behavorial patterns that you have already set up...things like eating dinner and having an after dinner cig..things like this.
There have been some really good comments placed about substitutes..like hard candy and such. Expect to go through living hell and feeling like crap...jittery...anger flashes...irrational thought processes...consider dues being paid for past sins. Exercise is one of the best things on the planet...and during this "detox" time it may be one of the most effective things you can do. This is one of the toughest things you will ever have to do physically...this is no cake walk sort of thing...but you can do this.
Address your behavioral patterns also...because they can suck you right back in...for example...maybe you have always had an after dinner smoke...break this pattern...maybe you will go to the gym right after dinner and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes...or sit at the computer and learn something of some interest to you...bottom line change your patterns...stay away from negative people ...stay away from other smokers when they are lighting up...stuff like that...Gixxer you have all the strenght you need to do this...what is important is the trend...if you slip up once in awhile don't think of yourself as a failure...if you go a week and mess up and have a cig don't condemn yourself...heh, I went a week...why did i mess up...address that and avoid that trigger next time...go on from there and get perfect..you will feel so much better once you break this very very very distructive behavior...:thumbsup::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Replies, to everyones comments!

#1, Yes, you really must want to quit!,, I do!
#2, I have tried most medications, with little to no help!
#3, Even though it has only been 2 days, i am finding out slowly what the triggers are, and dealing with them!
#4, Yes im watching what i eat, i dont want gain too much weight!
#5, I have a great support group at hand here at the Org!

'Change your habits...' Well, looks like we wont be partying again and i need to find a new room mate for the bash... ouch!

You can do it John!! :thumbsup:

Replies, to everyones comments!

#1, Yes, you really must want to quit!,, I do!
#2, I have tried most medications, with little to no help!
#3, Even though it has only been 2 days, i am finding out slowly what the triggers are, and dealing with them!
#4, Yes im watching what i eat, i dont want gain too much weight!
#5, I have a great support group at hand here at the Org!

Gix, I once quit for two years. I slept as much as I could for the first week, which really helped. Maybe you could get your GP to prescribe some Mogadon?

You will be hit with strong cravings, but they only last for 2 or 3 mins. They will
get weaker and fewer. In about 1 year they will be gone. It takes that long to
get all that stuff out of your system. Quit back in '71.
good luck, you can do it.

At this point i have been smoke free for over 24 hours!
Only once in the last 24 hours, has it been tempting, only because of an other smoker, not by choice!

Also in the last 6 months, i have been cutting back how much i smoked each day.

That's good news! Good luck in your quest...it will be worth it.

I smoked for about 30 years and had to quit while fighting a lung disease. I was hospitalized and used the patch for the first week. Been smoke-free for about 8 years now! Hang in there...sounds like you have made great strides! :thumbsup:

'Change your habits...' Well, looks like we wont be partying again and i need to find a new room mate for the bash... ouch!

You can do it John!! :thumbsup:
No you will not have to find another room mate for the bash!

John you CAN do it, Just do not give in and it will get easier but it will take a few weeks, Give it a chance and you will see how much better you feel after a little while. :thumbsup:

Every time you DON'T buy a pack of cigs, toss a ten spot in the "MOD JAR", then in 6 months you'll have a new exhaust, or some beetle bags or a nitrous fill station in your garage

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

John, spend some of the money you save on a modded out creeper for the spring bash. Is that incentive to stop smoking or what?

So far so good!
It hasn't been as bad as before, maybe since i want to quit this time!
As i get tired or aggravated the urges spike but im dealing pretty good!

Back