Trying to quit smoking!

GIXERHP

ok, ok...just a wee bit Irish...
Donating Member
Registered
Well i have decided to try, for a while. I have tried several times before with little success!
I have been leaning off the butts for a while, just not as quick as id like too!

I have tried just about any thing there is, and all ways end up smoking again!

However this is really the first time that it has been me wanting to quit, so maybe things will be different!

I don't care what anyone says, you have to want to quit.

I smoked for 12 years, 2 packs a day, sometimes more, one day in the garage last September I just said to myself this is it, last one right here, well quit right there cold turkey, been since sep16. 2009 :beerchug:

Good luck man, if you can quit smokin you can do anything:thumbsup:

Next I have to work on the 25 lbs I gained :whistle:

Also make a goal for yourself, with the money I saved from not smoking I went out and bought a 08busa :cheerleader:

Last edited:
I'm considering the same battle right now. I just don't know if i have enough motivation to pull it off. Good luck brother!!!!!

i was never really addicte if thats the word for it but i use to smoke when i was younger but ever now and then i still have a urge to start back but i made a promise between me and the most important figure that i would never smoke again... all i can really say is its a mental matter and u have to stay strong and keep determined to quit:rulez: its not easy

No offense to smokers but i just see it as a huge waste of money for something that smells nasty, doesnt help your health, and doesnt do too much for you besides "stress relief". Maybe i just dont know since ive never smoked.

Im too cheap to ever be a smoker :laugh:. Good luck to you John i hope you quit! :beerchug:

April 5 will be two years for me after after 15 years smoking!! You just have to do it be stronger than some bs you pay to kill hurt and make you smell..

Out if all the times before, i have never really wanted to quit for myself!
That one thing on my side!

Yep, just do the math. How much are they a pack now? How many packs are you smoking a week? I bet you come up with a considerable number. Like others said, it is all in your head. If saving the money doesn't convince you to stop.....and the health benifits of not smoking doesn't convince you.....i dont know what will. Good luck though.

You might look into smoke arrest. I used it when I quit and never really had any urges. If I did get the urge to smoke I got a twizzler and bit off both ends and sucked on it to give me the sense of inhaling a cigarette. I am smoke free for almost 2 years now.

Another easy thing to do is try to quit on a memorable day that way it is easier to see progress later on. You have Christmas and new years coming up so this would be a good time to do it.

The "want" to quit will make it easier for you too. Like Taylor, I have gained 35 pounds so you might also look into starting an exercise program. I need to start jogging but my work schedule is way too out of whack right now to do that

Good luck! You have a support group here if you need anything!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might help those who want to quit. Not sure if it's true since I've never smoked before. Someone sent it to me a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
Man thats a tough one, been 11 years since I quit. 24 years then cold turkey, hardest:fire: and best thing:thumbsup: I ever did for myself

If you can't do it cold turkey, go see your doctor and ask for a prescription of Chantix. Five of my coworkers have used it and none of them have started back. The time since they quit are 1-3 years. None of them have gained weight but they all had some graphic erotic dreams while taking it. They all only used it for about 2 months and said they never got the urge to smoke since. Good luck with whatever you decide. Your health will be a lot better
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can't do it cold turkey, go see your doctor and ask for a prescription of Chantix. Five of my coworkers have used it and none of them have started back. The time since they quit are 1-3 years. None of them have gained weight but they all had some graphic erotic dreams while taking it. They all only used it for about 2 months and said they never got the urge to smoke since. Good luck with whatever you decide. Your health will be a lot better
Posted via Mobile Device

Been there tried that turned into a raging lunatic!

GIXERHP, I wish you success with your quit, it is doable even if you don't think or feel that it is. I think it's far more difficult for those of us that have an addictive personality such as myself. Both the act of smoking and the chemical functionality that occurs after long term smoking just becomes "the norm" for your mind and body, it becomes ingrained into the thought process, it becomes a coping mechanism and it even becomes a reward system. For me personally my quiting felt like the most unnatural thing I could do to my mind and body at the time, I literally felt like I was gonna lose it early on (go insane), seriously! I was a total mental basket case for quite some time. The easiest of tasks such as sitting down in front of the computer to design a logo or sign layout sent me into a mental turmoil, just total mental confusion which resulted in great physical frusration & irritability. I thought that if this is what it's gonna be like then I just might as well smoke. I think I stuck it out just out of sheer stubornness, I figured that at 50 years of age it was time I did something intelligent. Not to mention at the time there were people near my age droping dead all around me from smoking related illnesses, ever watch someone leave the hospital after having a massive heart attack and resume their two pack a day habit? Ever watch someone with COPD/emphysema struggle to breath while on oxygen and still suck on Marlboro reds? However sad it was to watch friends/neighbors go through this it provided me with a bit more determination to stay stopped. Three and a half years smoke free for me now and I'm pretty confident that I'll not ever pick it up again, however difficult it got at times I just had to remind myself that at one time being a non smoker was the norm and if I stay stopped eventually that will become the norm again. Good luck man, you can do it!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
GIXERHP, I wish you success with your quit, it is doable even if you don't think or feel that it is. I think it's far more difficult for those of us that have an addictive personality such as myself. Both the act of smoking and the chemical functionality that occurs after long term smoking just becomes "the norm" for your mind and body, it becomes ingrained into the thought process, it becomes a coping mechanism and it even becomes a reward system. For me personally my quiting felt like the most unnatural thing I could do to my mind and body at the time, I literally felt like I was gonna lose it early on (go insane), seriously! I was a total mental basket case for quite some time. The easiest of tasks such as sitting down in front of the computer to design a logo or sign layout sent me into a mental turmoil, just total mental confusion which resulted in great physical frusration & irritability. I thought that if this is what it's gonna be like then I just might as well smoke. I think I stuck it out just out of sheer stubornness, I figured that at 50 years of age it was time I did something intelligent. Not to mention at the time there were people near my age droping dead all around me from smoking related illnesses, ever watch someone leave the hospital after having a massive heart attack and resume their two pack a day habit? Ever watch someone with COPD/emphysema struggle to breath while on oxygen and still suck on Marlboro reds? However sad it was to watch friends/neighbors go through this it provided me with a bit more determination to stay stopped. Three and a half years smoke free for me now and I'm pretty confident that I'll not ever pick it up again, however difficult it got at times I just had to remind myself that at one time being a non smoker was the norm and if I stay stopped eventually that will become the norm again. Good luck man, you can do it!:thumbsup:
At this point i have been smoke free for over 24 hours!
Only once in the last 24 hours, has it been tempting, only because of an other smoker, not by choice!

Also in the last 6 months, i have been cutting back how much i smoked each day.

Last edited:
Nicotrol inhalers with the patch and gum are my weapons of choice. Chantix is a no-no with D.O.T.. My Dr. is very supportive, just working on my mindset now.
Positive thing about having quit before is now the weaknesses are known and focus can be given on overcoming them.
Good luck to you.

Back