Quit smoking: the extreme way

Never picked up the habit of smoking cigarettes, so I don't have any good ways of quiting except to not start.

I do enjoy a good cigar though..
tounge.gif

I was standing outside my workplace, in the dead of winter, freezing my a$$ off, sucking on a cigarette - while in the throes of walking pnemonia. I couldn't take a NORMAL breath without pain, and here I was, standing outside like a second-class citizen, paying over $1 per pack in taxes, let alone the expense of the smokes themselves, trying to suck smoke into my already crippled, burning lungs.... and it hit me.

I was an idiot. A total, complete, certifiable idiot.

So I took my last cigarette, smoked it down to about 1/4 inch from the filter, stubbed it out and...

never lit another. That was about 9 years ago.

I laugh to myself every time I see how expensive cigarettes have become. It's a good feeling.

I am 21 minutes tobacco free. Bout time to light another
laugh.gif
No desire to quit, but good on you for quitting

I smoked when I was like 12 years old and cool. Luckily it never took. Who wants to be a quitter any way??

Quitting an addiction is easy. I have quit drinking many times in my life.
beerchug.gif

When you spend weeks in a hospital with a cancer patient, you wish you had the nerve to impose yourself on every young kid you pass on the street with a cigarette and tell them why they should stop. Instead, you look at them with pity.

(05 Busa LE @ Sep. 11 2006,16:24) When you spend weeks in a hospital with a cancer patient, you wish you had the nerve to impose yourself on every young kid you pass on the street with a cigarette and tell them why they should stop. Instead, you look at them with pity.
Smoking causes cancer?
rock.gif
eek2.gif

I could send you some smokes from over here that would have you quit before the PACK was done! Aint no sergant general regulating these babys.

I dated a girl that smoked and kissed here after she had had one. Broke up with her as it was the nastiest thing ever! YUCH!

(Shanling @ Sep. 11 2006,19:21) I dated a girl that smoked and kissed here after she had had one. Broke up with her as it was the nastiest thing ever! YUCH!
So your saying that you dont wanna give me a kiss?
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

One day I just quit. The first two weeks were a nightmare. Cold turkey is the way to do it.

I smoke and work in a chemical factory. I couldn't quit unless I had a couple of weeks off of work. I would go crazy and start yelling at people and probably hurt myself just working.

(steelhead @ Jul. 06 2006,12:06) I have a brutal method when it comes to quitting smoking. I make my body hate it.

STEP 1:
I buy a carton of Marlboro Reds (not lights...FULL REGULAR). I chain smoke the stuff till I want to vomit, and then some more. I do this for a week at the most unpleasant times of the day, including early early morning on an empty stomach. I find ways to make my body hate the stuff. Physiologically.

Then I stop smoking for five days. I experiment how long I can go before I want to smoke again. I tell my friends I'm testing my will power (a crazy Science experiment): "How long I can go without smoking". I tell them it is an experiment, not a way of quitting, so that I don't lose face when I smoke again...but they respect it...and understand it is not "full quitting". By the sixth day, I psychologically still want to smoke again...naturally. This is a product of environment and habit. So, I smoke, again, BUT to the extreme like before. See Step 2.

Step 2:
(a) I smoke another carton of Marlboro Reds chain smoking until I feel sick...and I CONTINUE smoking. I do it in every possible way that makes my body hate it.

(b)I also disassociate myself from using complimentary products that I usually enjoy smoking with...such as substituting Dr.Pepper for Coffee.

By the time I'm finished physiologically conditioning myself to hate smoking, I notice a few changes. When I sit beside people smoking...the strong urges to smoke are significantly cut down! But, of course. It's like drinking too much Tequila and your body gags at it whenever you even smell it later on.

I haven't heard of people using this method of Marlboro Red overload, so I thought I would share.
smile.gif

The rest is then will power, since your body is already hateful of smoking.

There's one more secret below (two posting down from the question if you already smoke like a maniac).

What's your method?

Oh, here's the Scientific Evidence:
*http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5128216.stm*
there is no chance of success using this method...sorry.

If you understand how nicotine takes control of neurochemicals, you would understand the addiction.

Everytime you let nicotine into your bloodstream, whether its gum, cigs, the patch, chew, whatever....

you allow the chemical to take and hold hostage your brain's ability to administer dopamine. It takes several days for the brain to take back it's control over dopamine, and even at that time, - it is running low and you are feeling low because of it.

The only solution is to hit the nicotine.

And therefore, start the chain all over.

Trust me, - if you really want to quit. You have to quit and tough out the withdrawals until forever.

FOREVER.

never take another hit, - or you will be fighting a neurotransmitter battle you cannot win, unless you can withstand the painful period of recovery without hitting the big N.

Learn this, and you too will be free from the dragon.

Your brain is clever, - it will come up with all kinds of ways to get you to hit the nicotine again, so that it can release dopamine.

People who are hooked on nicotine can't find the simple pleasures in life without following it up with a hit of the nicotine.

Ever notice that a smoke comes after sex, after a good meal, after a rough day to relax, etc...

That is because you have lost your ability to experience the pleasure of regular levels of dopamine.

Once the nicotine gets in, it immediately takes over the dopamine rations, and you will do anything to get a dopamine rush, and that includes spend good money on a life threatening gamble such as smokes.

You will even get into fights and arguments with people while you are trying to quit. This is just to elicit the normal response that the brain is used to. The old standby of a cigaretter, or dip, or whatever...when you get all flustered.

So, the brain send you off to get into a fight. You even know it is happening. Yet, you will inevitably give in and suck in some nicotine.

Unless you have the balls to stick it out. AND QUIT for ever.

Your brain is winning, by convincing you that it is "okay to tell my friends that I will be surely failing, so that they don't make fun of me when I surely fail".

That has no chance to succeed and you know it.

Good luck.

Try the laser therapy. Or do what I did. Get the Laser therapy after I watched my mom die of cancer last fall, at age 57.

It wasn't from smoking, but it made me stop dipping skoal after 20 years.

I have been tobacco free since June 2005.

It was hard, too. Really hard. I STILL think about dipping and buying a can. I even have dreams where I am dipping again.

Thanks to God that I learned how the nicotine addiction works, and was able to go cold turkey and ride out the tough times with the pressure of showing my sons, that I could do it. The info is online somewhere.

i quit last oct...have taken hits while lighting old ladys cigs for her...does nothing for me...and it was easy but it dont work for everyone.....have your doctor perscribe welbutran....(may not be exact spelling)...its an anti-depressant that the side effect was...wow you quit smokeing...it simply shuts off your "urges" to smoke...i took it for 2 weeks...quit smokeing one day all while smokeing less each day...3 days after quiting i quit takeing the drug...done ...end of story...no regrets...but my brother has been takeing it for year or longer and still fights the uges...has quit...starts back up...quits again....becomes more of a prick than he already is...gets told to smoke again by the kids lol....so it dont work for everyone

Back