Topped out a 2005 Hayabusa

I feel like my bike could use a good tuning. And I should probably change the air filter too... I've ridden through some sick bug clouds....

Nice job on the 188mph... But with those mods and a 15mph tailwind... you should have gone WAY faster...

When I was 225 lbs (6'2") I took my ZX12R to 195mph on my Garmin Etrex GPS. Only mods were Akrapovic pipe, pc3, 44 rear, mirrors removed, remap. My buddy rode it 10 min earlier and he got 199mph on GPS with my bike (he's 150 pounds).... then he also did 199mph on gps with HIS zx12r which was modified identical to mine.

You should at least be able to hit 193mph with your size and mods... throw it on a dyno and see where your A/F ratio is at. You want your A/F at around 12.9:1 up top.... I'm willing to bet that if you get it tuned correctly.... you'll break 190mph with EASE!!!

Good luck brother!
12.9 will be too lean with ram air coming in....

Not likely.... all the top guys that run the 9/10th's run 12.8-12.9 up top on their bikes.

I don't suppose you have much R&D experience at 190-200+mph do you?

We do down here.... it's all we do.

Nice job on the 188mph... But with those mods and a 15mph tailwind... you should have gone WAY faster...
Phantom,

How do you figure?

He has a stock bike with a TRE. The only mods he has other than the TRE hurt is AERO putting him at a disadvantage over stock so.....he is running pretty close to what he should be.

Got-Busa?- You're absolutely correct. I had misread his mod list and mistook his slip-on's for a full system. My mistake. With just the slip-on's, double bubble, and TRE ... 188 into a headwind is very good.

As for the double bubble... it helps aerodynamics believe it or not. Sure, it increases frontal area slightly but it allows a cleaner flow of air over the rider and helmet. Unless you're a midget... you can't get cleanly behind the stock busa windscreen and still be able to look ahead at the road.

Besides, having your helmet bobble around hurts the flow of air over you tremendously... not just your neck.

gnd111- 12.9:1 up top is right around where you want it. There's been years and years of testing and N/A busa's like to be around 12.8-12.9:1 for maximum speed in the real world.

Being too lean is around 13.1:1 and up.... although the GSXR1000's actually seem to run better on the lean side at 13.1:1

I'm not just making this up.... guys down here have tested different maps with a GPS and the highest MPH's were attained at 12.8:1 - 12.9:1.

<!--EDIT|Phantom12
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124580347 -->

DONT WE ALL!!!!!

His tuning picks up 2-4mph over custom maps made by certified dynojet tuners. I don't know how he does it... but he does it.

And to boot, he's never shy to offer helpful advice.

Only thing is.... his waiting list is huge. I've been waiting since last year to get him to wrench on my bike! Oh well, I know it's going to be worth it so it doesn't bother me none.

Good testing, idea was right, but keep in mind a GPS is no where near accurate for speeds unless your doing it for many many miles and even then it would only be plus or minus 20mph. Only way to get true speed is a calibrated speedo for that bike. You can take your bike to the state patrol and they can tell you how far your speedo is off. Apply that precentage to your displayed speed and you have an idea of your real speed.
I don't think anyone bothered to correct him because it was so far off. This isn't the 1980's, GPS is very accurate...

i was just reading this thread and was thinking has anyone checked to see if the tre since its sending a 5th gear map to the puter then the engine is losing power up top not having the 6th gear map for extra fuel for ram air? i think this would definately take away power up top.

Nolo, I believe the fuel map is the same in every gear. The timing is however a different story. As for the ram air, I believe that's compensated for by sensors in the airbox, much like how the air temp sensor tells the ECU to add or subtract fuel based on temp.

I could be wrong, but that's how it is set-up on the 12's.. I dont see why it would be any different on the Busa.

I think Johnny Cheese said that 5th and 6th gear maps are the same. The TRE helps smooth out 1st and 2nd gear lurching as well as de-restricting 6th. I also believe that i've heard enough people say they have better times W/O it on the track .

From what I understood the stock "99" gearing of 18/40 has been replaced with 17/40 and then made even lower by people wanting acceleration.  This was done in addition to timing and fuel to restrict both the horsepower and top speed of the hayabusa.

**edit: This appears to be wrong. I am still unsure what gearing they have used over the years and will need to collect that information. I've heard everything from 17/42, 18/40, 17/40...so right now I need some scientific posts either from Suzuki or someone who owns a 99 bike.

So without 18/40 you won't be able to hit top speed, but instead hit a mechanical (rev limiter x gearing) wall.

I have yet to prove this, and will be testing this theory out this summer.

<!--EDIT|arcticbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140894519 -->

Wasn't stock gearing for the 99 and 00 Busa the same 17/42??

<!--EDIT|ZEUS
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139288282 -->

Stock gearing has been the SAME FOR ALL YEARS, 17/40!
wink.gif

Back