Did a few TOP SPEED runs......

Got-Busa?

Donating Member
Registered
I got my GPS a while back and finally had a couple days off to test it.  I still have the 16-tooth sprocket on it for the drag strip so I figured I would see what it's worth  on the TOP END and how close my gear ratio/speed chart is.

First outing was on the stock BT-56 worn out and about a 15-20mph cross wind.  I knew it would kill my MPH but I figured I would try anyway.  Wide open in both directions at about a 10-degree lean (wind) maxed out it pulled......
GPS173.jpg

After my not so impressive results with the worn out stock tire, I had a Pirelli Super Corsa Race take off insalled (190/55/ZR17).  With no other changes from the first run other than the tire and NO 15-20mph wind this time, it pulled.......

GPS177.jpg

The second run was during a race but I'll post up the video  once it gets edited.  Just a little teaser of the competition for you guys/gals.

PICT0093.jpg

Without the TRE, it feels like the bike dies in 6th. I look forward to testing it with the TRE.

Josh
blues.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113163150 -->

Were you hitting the rev limiter in 6th? If not the TRE will not help. That may be all your able to get with that gearing. What did your gear ratio/speed chart say you could do?
rock.gif

you were talking about the bike and not the viper right unless you threw the viper engine in the busa
cool.gif

I wasn't close to the limiter.

My understanding is that without the TRE it won't let it rev any higher regardless of the gearing because the ECU is reading off the gear position sensor. It still shut me down at about 10,200 indicated in 6th! I normally shift at 11,200 indicated in every gear so I think it will continue to rev out with the TRE in 6th. Fuel cutoff on mine is about 11,400 indicated! I was pretty surprised at how hard the ECU limited it. It was almost like someone pulled a plug wire when I hit 10,200RPM!
blush.gif
I had never felt that before on my 2001 Busa. I always had the TRE on when I maxed it out and the tach pulled all the way into the RED with it.

My gear chart is saying I should run 178MPH at 10,200 which is pretty close. With the TRE, it says 189MPH! I look forward to trying it with the TRE!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Have you ran yours with the GPS yet?

The 4 MPH difference in the two runs is in the tire size....190/50 vs. 190/55. The 190/55 is a taller tire, thus higher top speed.
wink.gif

BA BUSA,

I knew that I posted it in case anyone else did some tests with different results!
wink.gif
My stock BT-56 was also just about through so I lost a lot of diameter over a fresh stocker.

I am realy impressed with the Pirelli.  I will def. buy another one when this is worn out!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113173997 -->

BA BUSA,

I knew that I posted it in case anyone else did some tests with with different results!
wink.gif
My stock BT-56 was also just about through so I lost a lot of diameter over a fresh stocker.

I am realy impressed with the Pirelli.  I will def. buy another one when this is worn out!
biggrin.gif
The Super Corsa's are awesome....I've used them also. A new tire vs. a badly worn one, even in the same size can cause a 1 or 2 MPH difference.

I think your wrong on the TRE. The only thing that's limited is the redline in 6th gear. Your actual speed will be irrelevant as it just limits the redline once it reaches 6th gear and that gives you a theoretical 186mph.
smile.gif

That's what I mean. But it won't REV out without the TRE on it in 6th. So even if it's geared up or down, once it hits 10,200 in 6th it won't pull anymore. With the 16-tooth sprocket, that's as fast as I can run with that RPM/speed and ratio.

Know what I mean.....?

I think your wrong on the TRE. The only thing that's limited is the redline in 6th gear. Your actual speed will be irrelevant as it just limits the redline once it reaches 6th gear and that gives you a theoretical 186mph.
smile.gif
The limiter is set at 10,200 in 6th....so with stock gearing thats 186 MPH. With a 16T front sprocket, you will hit that RPM at a slower speed....with a 18T front sprocket you would hit that RPM at a higher speed....if your bike had enough HP to make up for the wind resistance and the gear change.
wink.gif

The TRE tells the computer that the bike is in 5th gear, so when in 6th it will rev past 10,200.

Do you guys use "stock" V-Stacks or "all short" V-Stacks when running top-end? Have you tried it "both" ways and is there a noticeable difference?

smile.gif
The limiter is set at 10,200 in 6th....so with stock gearing thats 186 MPH. With a 16T front sprocket, you will hit that RPM at a slower speed....with a 18T front sprocket you would hit that RPM at a higher speed....if your bike had enough HP to make up for the wind resistance and the gear change.  
wink.gif
Sorry.....that is what I was thinking in my mind, I just couldn't explain it like that.

Thanks BA BUSA.
wink.gif

Josh
blues.gif

wink.gif

Do you guys use "stock" V-Stacks or "all short" V-Stacks when running top-end?  Have you tried it "both" ways and is there a noticeable difference?
I haven't tried changing the stacks. I have heard before that on a stock motor it hurst you in the 1/4-mile. Never heard of anyone testing it for TOP SPEED.

Good question!

smile.gif
wink.gif
Sorry.....that is what I was thinking in my mind, I just couldn't explain it like that.

Thanks BA BUSA.  
wink.gif

Josh
blues.gif
I guess were on the same page as I thought you were going after something different from the explanation.
smile.gif

wink.gif

smile.gif

Good runs. You should be able to hit 184-186mph with out a TRE. Factor in th wind the tire and the roads and you may be at the max for that day.

Back