Topped out a 2005 Hayabusa

Lucky34

Registered
Well, the day was absolutely gorgeous yesterday, and decided to test the Busa's top speeds with and without the TRE. Here's the results:

As we all know, the speedo's indicated speed is faster than the actual speed (GPS). When the speedo indicated 185 mph (buried needle in the 2005 busas), the GPS indicated roughly 168 mph. Of course, I wasn't satisfied with that, so I went to do more extensive testing.

Motorcycle Settings/Mods:
Mostly stock 2005 Red/Black Busa with the Hump on. Mods include ZG Double Bubble Dark Smoke Windscreen, Xenon highbeam, Fairing Grills, Tether Kill Switch, Carbon-look Levers, 'Busa Grips, Suzuki Hayabusa Carbon Fiber Crown/gas cap/tank protector, Marble Mod (PAIR VALVE BLOCK), Yoshimura Carbon Fiber RS3 Bolt-Ons, and Dunlop d208 tires. As you can see, mostly cosmetic mods except for the bolt-ons (which don't really do anything performance wise... just a really sweet, kick-ass sound) and the Marble Mod (blocks the hose that takes air from the airbox to the exhaust for emission control purposes). And I guess the DB screen affects aerodynamics a little bit. I'd also like to add that I have stock gearing (I believe 17t in front, 40t in rear).

Setting Conditions:
Beautiful day. Clear, blue skies, with temps in the high 70's low 80's and a tailwind in my favor (I believe 5-15mph winds from weather.com).

My Gear:
Shoei full-face Helmet (Duh :p )
Icon Tarmac v2.0 Gloves
Joe Rocket Ballistic Mesh Jacket
Tight-fitting Jeans (minimal flapping)
Boots

For the first runs, I removed the smart TRE (So the bike was "restricted") and had a slight tail wind in my favor.
I accelerated all the way to EXACTLY 10,500 RPMs in 6th gear, where I could feel the bike being limited (I felt the power kicking in, then going a way, then comming back, then going away. I held the throttle open for a pretty long time --- it was pretty obvious that the bike was not going to let me get past 10,500 rpms). And behold, the GPS indicated Max Speed: 182mph
So, WITHOUT TRE:
10,500rpms - 182mph GPS

I did a couple of runs like this, and in both runs the bike topped out at 10,500rpms - 182mph

Then I pulled over, popped the tank up, and installed Ivan's Smart TRE and did a few more runs.

I started accelerating hard from the start. Shifting at redline in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, then I hit 10,800rpms in 6th and the bike stopped accelerating. This time it didn't feel like at 10,500 with the TRE. I felt like I had gotten to a plateau. Steady power (not the in and out like before). I held the throttle wide open for a really long time looking down at the RPMs for about 2-3 seconds at a time only to see that the needle wasn't going anywhere --- 10,800. I did this a few times... I looked down at the GPS, and it showed 188 mph.

So, WITH Ivan's Smart TRE:
10,800rpms - 188mph GPS

I did a few more runs like this, and in all of the runs the bike topped out at 10,800rpms - 188mph

Now, here's what I'm wondering... A stock busa doing 200mph? Unlikely. At least not with stock gearing... unless you can Rev the bike way past the redline, which I highly doubt. I also don't think that the bike was limited power-wise because it was pulling at a fairly decent rate until it hit 10,800rpms, then it stopped accelerating pretty sharply. I've topped out other vehicles before, and they are always REALLY struggling near the end... but it wasn't really the case for the busa... at 10,800.. it just stopped accelerating. Another thing that leads me to believe it wasnt lack of power was that the needle was pretty firm... if it was lack of power I'd think that the needle would fluctuate a little bit depending on wind and road conditions... no?

Anyways, these were my observations. Hope you guys enjoy the read and the pics that are to follow. By the way, criticism is very welcom, but please don't post things like "you're a retard for going that fast cause it's dangerous", etc... save it for someone that cares! I value my life a lot and did a lot of research before deciding where to make my runs. Before starting I spent quite a bit of time riding up and down making sure there was no debris on the road, no animals nearby, and no other possible hazards. Also, there was NO TRAFFIC, so if ANYTHING had gone wrong, It would have been me who got hurt. No one else. I believe that people are welcome to do any kind of stupid #### as long as THEY'RE the only ones in danger. If someone's action has the potential of hurting an innocent person nearby, THAT'S where I draw the line!

Have FUN and stay SAFE everyone!
race.gif

Ok, this is the last of the runs I did back in november 04 (right after break-in period)

183mph GPS Run
smile.gif

183_gps.jpg

Some battle wounds my baby got
cool.gif

(Thankfully just bugs that can be cleaned off and not stone chips)

Battlewounds.jpg

What you encountered with the TRE in place was aerodynamic drag limiting your speed. Given less force (drag) to overcome, your bike will pull to redline in 6th. Take off your mirrors and try again. I never read of a stock Busa pulling 200mph, but they've been tested to redline in top gear, it was anywhere between 192-198mph. It is amazing how much of a reduction the smallest bit of drag will have on your speed. Try to tuck down all the way under your screen, don't look at the GPS until you are done. Look through the screen not over it and keep as much of your body out of the windflow as you can. I'll bet you can coax it over 190.

What you encountered with the TRE in place was aerodynamic drag limiting your speed. Given less force (drag) to overcome, your bike will pull to redline in 6th. Take off your mirrors and try again. I never read of a stock Busa pulling 200mph, but they've been tested to redline in top gear, it was anywhere between 192-198mph. It is amazing how much of a reduction the smallest bit of drag will have on your speed. Try to tuck down all the way under your screen, don't look at the GPS until you are done. Look through the screen not over it and keep as much of your body out of the windflow as you can. I'll bet you can coax it over 190.
That's some good advice. I was pretty much as tucked in as I could with my chest and my chin on the tank. (I could see the RPMs while in full tuck and I was seeing through the screen. I only looked at the GPS when I saw that the RPMs were stuck. Also, I hadn't thought about the mirrors, but those definitely create some drag!

Right now I'm waiting to get my leather racing suit... I'm sure that if I use the leathers and remove the mirrors I can get in the 190's. Also, I forgot to add in the write up, I'm 6'1", 185-190lbs... I'm sure if I was shorter and lighters it wouldn't hurt ;) . Nothing I can do about that though...

Now I guess I'll wait for my leathers and another "Perfect" day where I can get out there safely and with minimal wind.

Good runs nonetheless! Truly hard for a stock Busa to do 200 MPH. From what I've read and been told the gearing just doesn't support it. I am a speed freak, but think I could be comfortable knowing that I could do 188 if I wanted!
biggrin.gif

Nice report Busaman86! I own the same bike and the last time i was able to do a full top speed run the bike did not yet have the TRE that i installed about a week ago, so it was restricted.

I have a full 4/1 Yosh Duplex race on and a Power Commander III, last time i topped at the indicated canadian 300KPH, not having a clue how fast i really was going since i dont have a GPS... But i did hit the limiter, easily noticeable because you feel that there is much more meat to chew on!!!

Anyway now the TRE is on and my next mods are a new speedometer dial (0 to 340KPH) and a speedohealer to calibrate it. Then i'll know what my bike can do unleashed. I'll post some results here for sure...

firedevil.gif

Back