I did some Top Speed runs today...

Nice shots. Good Story. Did you hold throttle long enough without the TRE to feel the rev limiter? What was that like?

I would love to have a straight like that here. Good post, thanks!
smile.gif

man that is fast, I am glad the Tre from Schnitz helped ya out. I think anything around the 150 mph mark is bookin pretty good. Congrats on the insane runs. Where did you get the GPS and what was the cost?

Kevin, I'm not really sure... The GPS is actually not mine... It's a friends. I just looked it up, and amazon.com has it for $253.01. Other places have it for $299.99, and the most expensive I've seen for THIS model (Garmin GPS V) was $350. Hope this helps.

Ninja Eater, That roads goes from east Florida to Lake Okeechobee. There's a few roads that do that. The *main* one is 441, which is where most of the traffic is, and this one is a little bit north of 441. If you look at a map, you'll notice that 441 goes west. This road branches off of 441 in a northwest direction. There's only factory's around that area, and traffic is very light. I just sat and waited after I saw a car pass by. I gave it a few good minutes before trying to top out the bike. This way I made sure that I would have enough room before catching up to traffic. Also, does anyone know any other good roads with low traffic, and low law enforcement where one could do highspeed runs here in Florida?

HayaGreg, Thanks. I held the throttle as long as I could before the TRE. I honestly didn't feel the bike "hit" a limiter. All I could feel was my jacket trying to pull me off the bike... The only thing was that the bike seemed to accelerate really slow once I was around 10,000 rpms in 6th gear... so I think that might have been the "limiter"... but I don't know... In my car, when I hit the limiter at 110mph, if feels as if I had slammed on the brakes
tounge.gif
... the rpms stop dead on their tracks, and go down to like 4,000. Then when the car goes down to 100mph, it starts accelerating again... This wasn't the case with the busa though... It just "stopped" accelerating. Very smooth though. I guess due to aerodynamics and the drag from my jacket, I couldnt hit the actual limiter at 185mph? I dunno... 183mph GPS was purdy fast enough for me.... at least for now
cool.gif

About the TRE, though... The thing is, I thought that the stock bike was limited to 185mph... is that ACTUAL 185 mph, or INDICATED 185mph... without the GPS, I hit 185 on the speedometer, and I assumed it "stopped" accelerating, but when I put the GPS on, I found out that wasn't the case... Even after the needle hit 185, the bike still accelerated. (I did a run at 168mph with the needle at 185, and another at 176mph with the needle also at 185). So I know that even without the TRE, the bike went past the 185 indicated. The problem then, is with the ACTUAL speed. With, or without the TRE, I STILL couldn't breake 185mph... hmmm... makes you wonder... For now, I'll blame the jacket, and the environment... I guess the wind wasn't in my favor, and the jacket created too much drag. (By the way, to get to 183mph ACTUAL speed, you gotta hold the throttle open for a good lil while AFTER the needle gets stuck at 185... at that speed the road goes by REALLY fast... so you gotta be careful... you gotta have big balls, but also a brain that helps you "untwist" the throttle for the sake of living another day... just a thought...) Remember... ALWAYS BE CAREFUL!

Planning on doing the samething when i get home. A friend of mine knows a good long straight road. And going to see if he want to do a quick race. For a mile or 2 to see first hand about the ZX10R. If he is up to it and just for fun.

Kevin, I'm not really sure... The GPS is actually not mine... It's a friends. I just looked it up, and amazon.com has it for $253.01. Other places have it for $299.99, and the most expensive I've seen for THIS model (Garmin GPS V) was $350. Hope this helps.

Ninja Eater, That roads goes from east Florida to Lake Okeechobee. There's a few roads that do that. The *main* one is 441, which is where most of the traffic is, and this one is a little bit north of 441. If you look at a map, you'll notice that 441 goes west. This road branches off of 441 in a northwest direction. There's only factory's around that area, and traffic is very light. I just sat and waited after I saw a car pass by. I gave it a few good minutes before trying to top out the bike. This way I made sure that I would have enough room before catching up to traffic. Also, does anyone know any other good roads with low traffic, and low law enforcement where one could do highspeed runs here in Florida?

HayaGreg, Thanks. I held the throttle as long as I could before the TRE. I honestly didn't feel the bike "hit" a limiter. All I could feel was my jacket trying to pull me off the bike... The only thing was that the bike seemed to accelerate really slow once I was around 10,000 rpms in 6th gear... so I think that might have been the "limiter"... but I don't know... In my car, when I hit the limiter at 110mph, if feels as if I had slammed on the brakes
tounge.gif
... the rpms stop dead on their tracks, and go down to like 4,000. Then when the car goes down to 100mph, it starts accelerating again... This wasn't the case with the busa though... It just "stopped" accelerating. Very smooth though. I guess due to aerodynamics and the drag from my jacket, I couldnt hit the actual limiter at 185mph? I dunno... 183mph GPS was purdy fast enough for me.... at least for now
cool.gif

About the TRE, though... The thing is, I thought that the stock bike was limited to 185mph... is that ACTUAL 185 mph, or INDICATED 185mph... without the GPS, I hit 185 on the speedometer, and I assumed it "stopped" accelerating, but when I put the GPS on, I found out that wasn't the case... Even after the needle hit 185, the bike still accelerated. (I did a run at 168mph with the needle at 185, and another at 176mph with the needle also at 185). So I know that even without the TRE, the bike went past the 185 indicated. The problem then, is with the ACTUAL speed. With, or without the TRE, I STILL couldn't breake 185mph... hmmm... makes you wonder... For now, I'll blame the jacket, and the environment... I guess the wind wasn't in my favor, and the jacket created too much drag. (By the way, to get to 183mph ACTUAL speed, you gotta hold the throttle open for a good lil while AFTER the needle gets stuck at 185... at that speed the road goes by REALLY fast... so you gotta be careful... you gotta have big balls, but also a brain that helps you "untwist" the throttle for the sake of living another day... just a thought...) Remember... ALWAYS BE CAREFUL!

I thought it ws 441 up nice road.  

184-186 Actual. Is the top end on a busa that has restriction.
US 27 North of I-75
Us 41 Southeast of Eveglade City
FL. 29 of of the Alley going South
Alley is the best road but the worst for getting bagged.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101583813 -->

Cool beans man!
super.gif
Wish I'd been there with ya to see how long I could keep up.
wink.gif
I also wish I could find a straight like that around here.
drooling3.gif

Busaman86,

Good write up and info.  There is a few things you should try before you add any mods.  I would get some better ridding equipment for sure.  A jacket that actually fits will go a long way on top speed runs.  Also if you can get some leather pants or anything with a little less wind resistance than jeans, that will give you between 2-5mph right there if your clothing doesn't flap on your body.

Another big factor is your build?  How tall, wide, heavy, etc. are you?  You need to try sliding forward and back on the seat to get the AIR to go over you better and make a smoother/slicker SLIP STREAM!  This will give you another couple MPH.  Always run with the HUMP on to.  The seat has been proven to LOOSE 3-5 MPH off the TOP SPEED!

Something else to check is tire pressure and chain adjustment.  Make sure your chain isn't too loose or tight.  This can be good for a few more MPH.  What kind of tire pressure do you run?  I run about 36lbs. front and back but you might +/- a few pounds and see if the tire height/drag play more in your favor.  If everything else on your bike is setup right the main factory is always WIND!

Since the WIND is probably the biggest factory in your TOP SPEED on a bike regardless of mods, I would always TOP IT OUT in BOTH DIRECTIONS!  This will give you a better idea of how much it is hurting/helping you one way or the other.  Try to find a road that is most aligned with the wind direction.  

If your are truely going for MAX SPEED on a stock BUSA, I would try this stuff before you do any mods.  As for the SLIP-ONS, they will help you a little but it isn't worth it in my opinion.  I would just go ahead and get a lighter and better performing pipe for the money.  If you are spending $500 on slip-ons another $300 is nothing for a good quality FULL SYSTEM.  I would look at the BDE GEN III.  Also with the AIRBOX mod, you will gain a little up top but will loose a little below 4k RPM's.  That is what the flap is for, to improve low end TORQUE!  

I haven't personally tried it but a FREE mod would be to remove the mirrors and see if that helps a little. I run with mine off but haven't tested it with/without for TOP SPEED.

Josh
cool.gif

P.S. Wish I was in Florida, I would be blasting side by side with you!
super.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101596454 -->

Busaman86, Any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast. There is almost NOTHING related to skill needed.
smile.gif
Yeah I said it. Cause it really is true. Given enough time we could easily train a chimp to go fast in a straight line.
laugh.gif

Squeeking every last bit of MPH out of the Busa will take some fiddling, but it still takes very little riding skill... The only time skill or experiance will come into play is if something goes horribly wrong at those speeds.

Nice pics BTW.
thumbs-up.gif
Did you have your seat cowling in place? AND your belly Fairing is intact yes? I mean you aren't using a Center stand are you? I'd be careful about being too specific about locations though, otherwise next time your out you'll find smokey everywhere...

Busaman86, Any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast. There is almost NOTHING related to skill needed.
smile.gif
Yeah I said it. Cause it really is true. Given enough time we could easily train a chimp to go fast in a straight line.
laugh.gif

Squeeking every last bit of MPH out of the Busa will take some fiddling, but it still takes very little riding skill... The only time skill or experiance will come into play is if something goes horribly wrong at those speeds.
It's official... yer full of poop...
biggrin.gif

Busaman86, I presume you were heading into sugar cane territory - Belle Glade or Pahokee just west of 20 mile bend? I haven't been on that stretch for years and if so, it looks like the road surface has been redone. Those 'cane trucks are hell on asphalt. The comments above about drag and surface winds are most true at those speeds. To reach your absolute top speed potential, you have to be totally tucked in without anything flapping in the breeze. You must be cognizant of the winds, and since I was at Lake Okeechobee yesterday (a little ways north of you), I'd say the winds were out of the northeast. I'd also have 42 lbs psi in the tires too for minimal rolling resistance and heat tolerance. Nice pics man!
biggrin.gif

Yup, it was a blast.
Tire pressure was 42lbs both front and rear, and I was REALLY tucked in. I also had the hump on
wink.gif
oh, and the belly pan (no centerstand or anything like that).
As for skill... Rev, it is NOT easy. Yes, it's simple in theory.. Just twist yer wrist and you're up there... but in actuality, keeping the bike going in a straight line when there's that much wind resistance, when you have a jacket flapping up and down, and when you have to watch out for road hazards... not that easy. I go fast quite often. Whenever I see I have enough space to speed up safely, I peg it... and usually don't let out until I absolutely have too, but for these high speed runs, where you have to hold the throttle open even after the needle is stuck at 185... it starts getting to ya... I don't know if you've ever topped out your busa so I can't say anything about that, but as for me, I've gone pretty fast, and I don't think it's easy (I used to though... I admit it)

Also, I am 6 feet tall (6'01"), 180 lbs, and... I guess of average build. IMO, I can get tucked in pretty well... (I gotta try sliding up and down the seat a little next time, although I'm having a hard time visualizing it when going that fast...)

Also, about the road. There ARE some Florida Highway Patrol Troopers in the area, however not on that particular road. I guess it's because that's not the *main* road that goes to the lake, and it's pretty much only for trucks from the fields. There IS a Camaro trooper that always hides next to 441 RIGHT after the long roads end (as you enter "city" territory) that is ALWAYS giving out tickets to cagers who have probably have their cruise control set at 80mph or so and don't realize that they should slow down when entering civilization...
It's kind of ironic though... Right after the runs, I see this old pickup truck getting a ticket
tounge.gif

OH, and one more thing... I went to the lake today with my dad and my uncle (My dad on the SV650, and my uncle on the Bandit 1200). It was really fun. My uncle thought he stood a chance against the busa in the 1200
laugh.gif
. I had the GPS with me, and I told him... "Ok... why don't you top your bike out... and I'll pull up next to you to see how fast you're ACTUALLy going... then, I'll show you what a *real* bike does
tounge.gif
" And I did... His speedo read about 130mph (he's pretty chubby), and my GPS was reading 115mph... then I downshifted a couple of gears, and took off (almost pulling a wheelie). I could just imagine his jaw dropping inside his helmet when he saw me TAKE OFF like that, after his "100cc" smaller bike was TOPPED OUT
laugh.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

Busaman86,  Any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast.  There is almost NOTHING related to skill needed.  
smile.gif
 Yeah I said it.  Cause it really is true.  Given enough time we could easily train a chimp to go fast in a straight line.  
laugh.gif

Squeeking every last bit of MPH out of the Busa will take some fiddling, but it still takes very little riding skill...  The only time skill or experiance will come into play is if something goes horribly wrong at those speeds.

Nice pics BTW.
thumbs-up.gif
Did you have your seat cowling in place?  AND your belly Fairing is intact yes?  I mean you aren't using a Center stand are you?  I'd be careful about being too specific about locations though, otherwise next time your out you'll find smokey everywhere...
Somewhat true, but it is still a lot of fun sometimes. I've never topped my R1 out. The fasted I've seen indicated is 172mph which probably equates to low 160s.

Busaman86,  Any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast.  There is almost NOTHING related to skill needed.  
smile.gif
 Yeah I said it.  Cause it really is true.  Given enough time we could easily train a chimp to go fast in a straight line.  
laugh.gif

Squeeking every last bit of MPH out of the Busa will take some fiddling, but it still takes very little riding skill...  The only time skill or experiance will come into play is if something goes horribly wrong at those speeds.
It's official... yer full of ####...
biggrin.gif
Sometimes you open your mouth Bullet, and it's obvious your outta your depth. Talk to me when you have TOPPED SOMETHING OUT.... ANYTHING.... EVEN ONCE for FUGS Sake....

<span style='color:red'>BusaMan86</span>... I wouldn't be talking SO MUCH #### if I hadn't been there many times myself. There is a perfect venue for such behaviour up here... Hell Maybe I am missing something, maybe the road I run is Magic... But I have found OVER AND OVER that topping out the Busa is pretty damned easy. NO DRAMA, Just takes some nerve.... I would say if your feeling like you have to fight your Busa along you in fact need to RELAX a bit, sounds like your actually interfering with your bikes stability... Holding on too tight. At those speeds it'll ride itself better without you, it doesn't need your help it has little use for you except holding open that throttle...

So NOT BAGGIN ON YOU BUSAMAN,
thumbs-up.gif
I'm just saying that I have been there many times, and it's been my experiance that it really is just that easy... At least on a Busa.... Sounds like you had a good time, and that you have a good place for it...

smile.gif
laugh.gif

It's official... yer full of ####...
biggrin.gif
Sometimes you open your mouth Bullet, and it's obvious your outta your depth.  Talk to me when you have TOPPED SOMETHING OUT.... ANYTHING....  EVEN ONCE for FUGS Sake....  

<span style='color:red'>BusaMan86</span>...  I wouldn't be talking SO MUCH #### if I hadn't been there many times myself.  There is a perfect venue for such behaviour up here...  Hell Maybe I am missing something, maybe the road I run is Magic...  But I have found OVER AND OVER that topping out the Busa is pretty damned easy.  NO DRAMA,  Just takes some nerve....  I would say if your feeling like you have to fight your Busa along you in fact need to RELAX a bit, sounds like your actually interfering with your bikes stability...  Holding on too tight.  At those speeds it'll ride itself better without you, it doesn't need your help it has little use for you except holding open that throttle...

So NOT BAGGIN ON YOU BUSAMAN,  
thumbs-up.gif
 I'm just saying that I have been there many times, and it's been my experiance that it really is just that easy...  At least on a Busa....  Sounds like you had a good time, and that you have a good place for it...
Depends on what topping out means. Those magic roads can be very nice.
wow.gif
I think the point is don't do it until you are ready. No matter what anyone says 200mph is not easy to get there for both bike and rider. Once you have done it it does come easier each time, that is why you set new goals. 201mph 203mph 205mph 209.37mph etc. Lots of little things can cost you speed and your life. Tires worn, loose jackets braking with your body in the wind. Most important if you have 5 miles stretches of road you can get to the top a little easier. Most high speed is done in a mile or 9/10/s of a mile. The longer the road the more time you have for something to go wrong. Just everyone be careful in trying to better your speeds.

Busaman86,

Sounds like you had some good fun with your Unlce and Dad!
laugh.gif

As for the seat thing don't move around once topped out. Get in position before you pin it, just try a couple different things to see what works best with your build.

How did you tuck?

Did you look over the windscreen or put your helmet on the tank and look through the windscreen? That is probably your biggest point of drag other than your jacket flapping. Take care of those things and you should be in the 190's pretty easy on a stock Busa with TRE!
wink.gif

Josh
blues.gif

Back