TRE discussion- 2005 edition

ZeframZuk

Registered
Hello all you 'busa maniacs. Long time listener; first time caller. I've been riding Suzuki's for years and have just bought my first 'busa. Brand new '05.

I've been reading on here about TRE's and how they affect drivability and top end restriction. However, the latest year discussed that I can find is for '03 models. I have two questions...

1) Does anybody know FOR SURE if a TRE does or does not remove the top end restriction on an '05? There seems to be conflicting opinions and experiences out there.

2) Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the Ivans standard TRE and the "Smart TRE" that costs $40 more? Yeah, I can read the sales brochure, and I know it claims that you don't need to adjust idle or mixture with the "smart" TRE. However, I thought the TRE was basically just a resistor. Apparently there is something else to it. Anybody have any experience with the smart TRE? If so, do share please!

Thanks in advance for any input. Keep up the good banter out there. It is very entertaining, even for those of us who sit back and just read.

Pat

if it works for an 03, it'll work for an 05. simple.

unless you're planning on going north of 186mph, a TRE is a waste of $$$.

btw, congrats on the bike + welcome aboard!

beerchug.gif

In answer to the second question, TRE stands for Timing Retard Eliminator. If you search the archives for TRE, you will find many discussions and opinions about them, all prior to 2003.

I guess I stated my question wrong... I asked about 2005. What I really meant was 2003 and beyond. There still seems to be a lot of differing opinions about if a TRE removes the top end limit or not. Does anybody have any recent experience, good or bad? The above comment was the first I heard about it NOT smoothing out the low speed characteristics, which is really why I'm interested in one.

Also, anybody know anything about this "smart" TRE?

Pat

Wecome to the board!
I have an 05 Red/Black busa with one of those blue "Smart" TRE's.
In my opinion, the throttle response seems a little sharper, and it DOES remove the 186mph limit.
Gongrats on the bike
smile.gif

if it works for an 03, it'll work for an 05. simple.

unless you're planning on going north of 186mph, a TRE is a waste of $$$.

btw, congrats on the bike + welcome aboard!

beerchug.gif
sure about that?

It has also been said that the TRE also eliminates the restrictions on 1st/2nd
It's supposed to pull MUCH harder in those gears with a TRE.

There are other/easier ways to "limit" the bike to 186.  

some quotes from hype4r.com
"The TRE has allowed excellent drive from the lights and the fuel injection is extremely smooth whereas before it was rather "wooly" (not a technical term!) up to 2,500-3,000rpm. The Busa timing is retarded in 1st 2nd and 6th and after the mods were done I felt that I was riding a totally different bike.
I am still running the original exhaust system purely because I like to keep a low profile with the police!"
or
"The ECU gathers information from the gear position and the rev meter to detect when to retard the injectors.  There are apparently simple electronic units that in effect derestrict the bike !  I've been reilably informed that the US mag Sport Rider had an article on their experiment.
The TRE is available from Ivan's Rockland County Motorcycles.
It apparently tells that ECU that the bike is in 5th gear all the time and uses ECU program to match.
The 5th gear ignition map is also the best one they said ie better response.
Note they also used the Powercommander unit to compensate."

and mentions of remapping morethan just 6th here:
http://www.motorcycleradar.com/products_pg5_5.htm

I can only say that since fitting a TRE on my 03 the bike has become a lot smoother in both idle and fast running.I have Scorpion race cans and have Improved my fuel consumption as well. With a bike like this who can really say if it is any faster. They are so quick to start with to use to its full potential on the road would be suicidal. I doubt if I would ever find out if The top speed is any different the same as 99% of you.

Man, before I came to these boards I couldn't even spell TRE..... crazy......
laugh.gif

It also splits the air in front of the bike with Tesla Rotating Electricity. This allow the bike to warp.

1) Does anybody know FOR SURE if a TRE does or does not remove the top end restriction on an '05? There seems to be conflicting opinions and experiences out there. [/QUOTE]

The ECU, Electronics of the busa has not changed from 03 to 05... so what works on a 03, will most definetly work on a 05.

OK simple answer YES the TRE kills the stock 5th gear limiter , bad part is stock the bike wont reach it anyway. Also the TRE doesnt take off the stock rev limiter of 10500rpm. You wont be able to pull even with the power beyond that. Anyway to really kill it and do it the right way , Search for johnny cheese and get his GPS " gear position sensor" mod

Well I just installed my Ivan made TRE today on my 06 busa no other mods, and I took it for a short ride a few blocks before the rain came in and I deff. notice a much smoother Idle, and power increase from no throttle to half throttle just like they advertise. I will have to get back to you on the top speed. So far Ive had mine up to 175 without even struggling. Also I dont know if they changed it in 06 but my busa bounces of the rev lim. at 11,500.

Just do a search . teh diff between a samrt TRE and a regular one is TRE tells the bike its in 5(5N)55555 gear, Smart TRE 1N23455 gear. 5th gear and 6th gear are the same maps. The reason the 1st and 2nd gears smooth out with a TRE is the 5th gear map is a richer map. Thats how I understand it.

Back